Contribute
Register

Apple's New 12" Retina MacBook Revealed: 2 Pounds, Fanless, Broadwell CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know Neil, I am pretty hardened as mac fans go too. Been using/hacking/restoring macs since the 90s. But having owned an 11-inch second-gen air, I can honestly say I'm not ready for such an underpowered laptop.

Maybe it's because I'm a pro user. Last year, i switched out my 2011 11-inch and exchanged it for 2014 15" rMBP. It's amazing.

I gave my 11-inch to mom, but she barely uses it as she has a iPad Mini

I have some serious misgivings about the lack of cooling, and the M-processor too. Sure, it's designed to be a lightweight machine and yes, that's what it is. But it feels like Apple has become so preoccupied with making a machine for every situation that they're at risk of recreating the same confusing lineup we saw when Gil Amelio was in charge.

And that scares me.

Well I agree with a lot of your views. I was in the Flint Center in 1984 when Steve introduced the Macintosh and really kick myself for selling the few hundred shares that I had at that time.

My attraction to Apple is OS X and find it hard to accept the way that they are taking it. HOWEVER I do enjoy watching the parade of great products and watching peoples reactions to same.

Apple time?

Good modding,
neil

Only two things bother me about the new MacBook.

- One port is just silly. Next year's will have two, or magsafe or some some such.
- The price. It is a pretty (nice) consumptive device but really?!?

Personally I think they could have just tweaked out the MacBook Air.

Remember the first MacBook Air? One USB, headphone and magsafe, oh, wait! It had a micro DVI port to. ha ha
It is fun to watch the ebb and flow of technology.

Ginghi

Only 1 thing bothers me about the new mac book.

$1299 for an iPad with keys.

See charlie brokers - Screen wipe for some sane opinions on apples recent disgusting profit amount.

THIS IS THE BIGGEST RIP OFF CON FROM APPLE YET

But please don't let me stop you, your money folks! hahahahahaha

IF I worked for apple I would of made something unique that is actually game changing about
ooo say 4 years ago.

I would of made a 15" Touch screen that can be used as an I Mac - IPAd Pro - Mac Book Pro etc etc etc.

Of course I am not concerned with making stupid amounts of money

I can think of at least two demographics they are going for: Students and students.

This is definitely not for students (too expensive). Or instructors (no display out ports to cater for the old projectors commonly available in the world, no charging port to save a full day where you move from class to class giving lectures, no ethernet port to get you online in rooms where WiFi is not available, not enough USB ports to accept the late project of a student or connecting a non-bluetooth pointing device or mouse that doesn't suck without using multiple break-out cables). It's probably great for the frequent traveler who wants class, quality and portability while waiting in the VIP airport lounge.

I love the light weight, the compact size, the 12" retina display, the 16:10 resolution ratio, the fanless operation; waited for over a decade for these. I don't mind the crappy intel cpus, it's not that a laptop will/can/should replace my desktop/workstation. I am thankful they kept the 8GB RAM option and the keyboard backlight, wouldn't settle for less. I am not sure if I will like the new keyboard's feel and trackpad operation. I wish the batteries were more powerful. I will miss the glowing apple logo. But the absence of ports (they should have 2 USB-C ports or at least a separate charging port) alongside the recent price increase in Europe is the real deal breaker.

[video=youtube;1rkdtTmXPV0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rkdtTmXPV0[/video]

Early unboxing video of new MacBook

Early Geekbench score- 4038

Screen Shot 2015-04-01 at 7.09.44 PM.png

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/2224209

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/01/retina-macbook-benchmark-performance/

Finally got to see this thing today, and I have to say I'm impressed. It's really a great piece of engineering. Love the retina display. The keyboard was what I was most curious about. About 80% less tactile feedback than a standard MBP keyboard. It was light. Really light. Also next to a 11" MacBook Air, the Air looked big, and the bezel around the non-retina screen was noticeable. It's really small.

Anyhoo- I'm waiting a few gens, but this is a great looking laptop for OS X.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back