Contribute
Register

Apple’s First ARM-based Mac Will Feature 12-Core Processor, Release in 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Apple goes ARM, this is likely my goodbye to the Apple world and I will go back to the Windows world and never look back to Apple products, because they simply don't match my needs.

Don't worry! Commercial ARM processors for PC will be released soon along with ARM compatible motherboard.

Don't worry! Commercial ARM processors for PC will be released soon along with ARM compatible motherboard.
Dont think ARM PC's will help. Lots of ipad/iphone clones but none run iphone software and I dont expect hackintosh clones of arm based mac's will be any easier to make. At any point Apple could make hacks practically impossible (requiring T2 chip or similar) and ARM is just another barrier. I suspect they will stay with Intel/AMD for their more powerful machines but once they stop supporting older (pre t2) macs, only real Apple machines will be able to run their newer OS's. I'm guessing that in 5 years hackitoshing will be something for vintage computer users and whatever Intel/AMD machines Apple will be selling, which we might otherwise clone, will be tied down with security chips to prevent mac hacks.

Last edited:
In 13 short days we'll have the answer from Apple. I'm hoping it's one small first step of a longer term transition. Not the hyperspeed Intel transition in the mid 2000s.

The keynote has just ended. I think the main takeaway is that they expect the transition period to be 2 years. Much, much sooner than anyone could have predicted here.

As a newcomer to the hackintosh community, this worries me. Is this it? All that time and effort I put into hackintosh and now it is inevitable to go back to Windows.

Last edited:
Yes quite right. I'm hoping they'll make a clear support statement at WWDC. Absent that, I'll be dumping my new Mac Pro and going back to Hackintosh until the transition is complete. I've already pulled my Mac Pro out of service in anticipation.

I would list my Mac Pro right now were it not for my fear of the Ebay empty box scam. I've never sold anything this expensive without a front lawn or an engine.

My take, they can't drop support for a while. Think probably 5 years from today I'd guess. That's enough to play in this field till we figure something else out. Heck, back in the day I actually participated in the PPC Linux development (ran on my G4 Mac) when we didn't have macOS X yet.

So just to add some interesting perspective... Apple transitioning will be as seemless as PowerPC to Intel, it is just a simple recompile with xcode to generate a new Universal Binary 2. For apps that aren't ready, Rosetta is coming back as Rosetta 2 for real time binary translation, no good for real time video/audio but for some apps will probably be quite usable.

And ARM performance? Fujistu just toped the Super Computer 500 with an all ARM, no GPU super computer! It will probably get trumped next week with another super computer using the new NVIDIA GPUs, but even so that is quite an achievement...

Apple probably already have a prototype 64 core ARM SOC that they can build a dual or quad cpu desktop with, I only hope this isn't the begining of soldered ram in desktop (imac excluded) and a complete walled garden like ios.

I guess one possibility if and when Apple fully transitions to ARM and it no longer supports the x86 architecture at all for future versions of MacOS (which I think would b at least 10 years from now) would be MacOS ARM emulation on the X86 platform via a VM ... not perfect I know and Apple would do their best to counter it should it ever happen but there are some really bright developers out there ....

Food for thought at this time ....

Cheers
Jay
I’m afraid Apple will create new laws that will start to prosecute hackintosh builders and users, even for those who just mention ‘hackintosh’. This community may fall into the dark side.

I would list my Mac Pro right now were it not for my fear of the Ebay empty box scam. I've never sold anything this expensive without a front lawn or an engine.

That's going to upset many new Mac Pro users who already shelled out $10,000+. The only option they have is to sell it or use it with legacy macOS once newer macOS is no longer compatible with x86 architecture.

That's going to upset many new Mac Pro users who already shelled out $10,000+. The only option they have is to sell it or use it with legacy macOS once newer macOS is no longer compatible with x86 architecture.

I predict that Apple will offer Mac Pro users a generous trade-in value to purchase new ARM-based hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back