Contribute
Register

Apple’s First ARM-based Mac Will Feature 12-Core Processor, Release in 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they can put one into an iMac (27" 5K) I'm all for it. Just don't set the retail price at $5,000+ so no one can afford to buy one. I do find this source is only re-hashing a rumor from Bloomberg. It's nothing new these predictions have surfaced every year since about 2012.

Rajesh is mostly trying to get clicks on his website to make revenue. He's presenting it as actual news, instead of it just being a rumor. He posted something similiar in 2017 http://www.iphonehacks.com/2017/09/apple-looking-to-develop-custom-arm-based-processors-for-mac.html but that never happened. Making vague "sometime in 2021" predictions is an easy thing to do. It doesn't mean Apple plans to release it by then. We'll likely see a Macbook like Mac with an A series chip before that.

Last edited:
This is from Bloomberg.

"Apple prepping own Mac chip for 2021

Apr. 23, 2020 7:21 AM ET|About: Apple Inc. (AAPL)|By: Brandy Betz, SA News Editor
Codenamed Kalamata, the project to develop multiple chips suggests Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) will transition more of its Mac processors away from current supplier Intel (NASDAQ:INTC), reports Bloomberg.
The so-called "systems-on-a-chip" is based on the A14 processor coming in the next iPhone, and Taiwan Semi (NYSE:TSM) - the current manufacturer of iPad and iPhone processors - will build the new Mac chips, say sources.
The first Mac processors will have eight high-performance cores - codenamed Firestorm - and at least four energy-efficient cores, codenamed Icestorm. Apple's designs for some Macs will double or quadruple the number of cores provided by Intel."

I am pretty concern about all of the hackintosh community and how we will deal with our future hackintosh builds.
What you guys think?

I am pretty concern about all of the hackintosh community and how we will deal with our future hackintosh builds.
What you guys think?
Either regretting the past or worrying about the future is of no use. Have a look at everything that works great in your hackintosh right now. Enjoy what you have and keep using it as long as possible.

What you guys think?

Not much I think. Those ARM processors are more suitable for macbooks and possibly low-end iMacs due to its low power requirement. High end iMacs and Mac Pros will still use Intel or possible AMD processors. Currently ARM processor cannot outperform Intel/AMD but that can change in the future. ARM processors are relatively new to the market so only time will tell until they're bought out by larger company. Just like National Semiconductor bought out Cyrix processor and it went downhill very fast.

What you guys think?
Even if Apple forces people to switch to ARM in the future, all current Hackintosh machines will be outdated at that time.

What I see happening is basically Apple just wants to be able to release new products every year without having to rely on Intel since they're always delaying chips. And for a "consumer" low end product it makes perfect sense. I also think Intel will stick around for MacBook Pro's and Mac Pro's, etc. I don't see ARM processors making the cut in that respect. But we've already seen Ryzen code in macOS so maybe they're moving to AMD? AMD processors and GPU? Also makes sense.

Is this the future of hackintoshing...

Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 11.45.40 AM.png
Link:https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Server-Motherboard/MP30-AR0-rev-11#ov

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back