Contribute
Register

AppleNVMe Assert failed: ASUS Prime X299-A II/Intel Core i7-9800x/Radeon VII/Mojave Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm afraid that there is a problem with the new generation X299-Boards resp. Cascade Lake X... I have also no luck to boot a Prime-A II nor a MSI X299 Pro (not the Pro Carbon, this one: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X299-PRO/). I have tried with 7900X, 9900X and 9960X, with Clover and OC, with HS, Mojave and Catalina... not even the boot begins, both boards reboots instantly after the clover or OC boot-window. I had success with all previous X299 Boards from MSI, Asrock, Gigabyte and Asus, but not with the quoted new ones.
I would love to test this one: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Prime-X299-Edition-30/overview/, but I think we have the same problem. Hm.
That news comes as a shock for me! I could barely afford this system. I knew I was doing something dodgy.

I have exactly the same issue. I tried a MSI Creator X299 and now the Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore. Both are the "new" X299 boards for Cascade Lake X and have the same problem - which is just like yours.

IMG_3086.jpeg

Hi P1LGRIM, I am sorry to say that I'm still stuck at boot With "AppleNVMe Assert Failed: ( 0 != data )…", but screen does not have 1393 error? Could you help me? I really, really would be grateful.

The problem is not AppleNVMe Assert rather multiple PCI root complexes. Is there really four of them? Do you have a DSDT from Linux?

@ydeng I can give you the one from my Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore. It's taken from Clover -> F4

IMG_3086.jpeg

Attachments

• DSDT.aml
    266.8 KB · Views: 65
@ydeng I can give you the one from my Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore. It's taken from Clover -> F4

View attachment 442499

Maybe you have to restart everything from scratch:
So be patient and do it step by step:
First follow these guides from Kgp :
- iMac Pro X299 - Live the Future now with macOS 10.14 Mojave
- How to build your own iMac Pro
Make a USB installer with the minimum drivers and kexts required to boot MacOs
If you can't boot on a NVme SSD try with a Sata SSD

Last week I did install MacOs on a new build with a Gigabyte X299 AORUS Ultra Gaming Pro
I did install last year MacOs on a Msi X299 Pro Carbon AC and i have a build with an EVGA X299 FTW-K and another with a Gigabyte UD4 Pro

If you are lost , share here your EFI folder and we should take a look on it.;):thumbup:

First follow these guides from Kgp
If you are lost , share here your EFI folder and we should take a look on it.;):thumbup:

@Loloflatsix I followed KGP's guide as usual. I have a running Asus Strix X299-E Gaming build running just fine, but this board (and as it seems all the new Cascade Lake X refresh boards) are different.

The Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore has six (!) PCI root complexes as it seems, PC00-PC05. I renamed them to PCI0-PCI5 - with no effect. I tried staring with PCIRootUID=0 to PCIRootUID=5 - no effect either. It always stops at PCI configuration end. Something weired is going on here.

The next odd thing is the MSR Ex02 stuff. There is an option in the BIOS, but it has no effect (VerifyMSR.efi tells that). I did notice that on the MSI X299 Creator as well. I even manually set the bit via UEFITool / "setup_var" in GRUB as it's described in the OpenCore Vanilla Guide. The board(s) don't care.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    25.1 MB · Views: 94
@Loloflatsix I followed KGP's guide as usual. I have a running Asus Strix X299-E Gaming build running just fine, but this board (and as it seems all the new Cascade Lake X refresh boards) are different.

The Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore has six (!) PCI root complexes as it seems, PC00-PC05. I renamed them to PCI0-PCI5 - with no effect. I tried staring with PCIRootUID=0 to PCIRootUID=5 - no effect either. It always stops at PCI configuration end. Something weired is going on here.

The next odd thing is the MSR Ex02 stuff. There is an option in the BIOS, but it has no effect (VerifyMSR.efi tells that). I did notice that on the MSI X299 Creator as well. I even manually set the bit via UEFITool / "setup_var" in GRUB as it's described in the OpenCore Vanilla Guide. The board(s) don't care.

Well i'm going to take a look at it and edit this post after :thumbup: ;)

You may try keeping one or two of them and see if that changes anything. Comment out "
Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0A08") /* PCI Express Bus */) // _HID: Hardware ID
Name (_CID, EisaId ("PNP0A03") /* PCI Bus */) // _CID: Compatible ID " should do it.

If you have the bios, you may try to locate the code pattern: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/asus-x299-support.276179/page-81#post-1987638 .

So try with this EFI folder :
- the config.plist : I adapted with minimal ACPI replacement, without PR replacement, without npci=0x2000 ( for a try)
- in KernelToPatch : there are xcpm_core_scope_msrs and xcpm_pkg_scope_msrs to allow wrightable MSR Ex02 register so at first boot try with CFGlock enable in bios
- in ACPI /patched : just the 3 required SSTs to boot : you can complete later
- Drivers : just some modification
- Kexts/Other : I added the Kexts for Asus Mainboard may be good for yours.

Try and report... ;)

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    26.4 MB · Views: 81
So try with this EFI folder
Try and report... ;)

@Loloflatsix
It's frustrating, exact same result :(

You may try keeping one or two of them and see if that changes anything.

@ydeng
I could not compile the DSDT because there are some errors, so I created a SSDT to disable the root complexes. Sadly, that didn't really work as there are still multiple "PCI configuration begin ....end"

Code:
DefinitionBlock ("", "SSDT", 2, "hack", "PCI", 0x00001000)
{
    External (PC01, DeviceObj)
    External (PC02, DeviceObj)
    External (PC03, DeviceObj)
    External (PC04, DeviceObj)
    External (PC05, DeviceObj)

Scope (_SB)
    {
        Scope (PC01)
        {
            Name (_STA, Zero)  // _STA: Status
        }