Contribute
Register

AppleHDA Surround Sound [Guide]

Not relevant.
Off topic.
okay. You answered then told me off topic. Don't want to hijack the thread. Could you direct me to an area where someone might have some insight? I love what we do here and have built a rocking machine. Just need USB audio to work well. Thanks again!

Hello Toleda,

I have a working HDMI and now trying to work with the HDMI passthrough under VLC or Plex. For the surround sound with Atmos or TrueHD, seems not working with HDMI. I can see the DTS by HDMI is working (eg. by encoded HDMI under VLC), but not Atmos or TrueHD, is it a limitation of mac or I need another media player? For example, only AC3 and DTS is able to "passthrough" Thanks for your help.

A screen shot of the plex is attached for reference.

upload_2018-9-12_13-44-46.png

For the surround sound with Atmos or TrueHD, seems not working with HDMI.
None of the "lossless" formats are supported or licensed in macOS. Years ago, a thread on Plex demonstrated converting TrueHD to LPCM allowed Plex/macOS to play near "TrueHD," LPCM is the only macOS option. tvOS 12 supports Atmos on AppleTV 4K, available 9/17.

None of the "lossless" formats are supported or licensed in macOS. Years ago, a thread on Plex demonstrated converting TrueHD to LPCM allowed Plex/macOS to play near "TrueHD," LPCM is the only macOS option. tvOS 12 supports Atmos on AppleTV 4K, available 9/17.

Thanks Toleda for the help.

Cheers.

Hey everybody!
If someone does not have "Encoded digital audio" in Audio Midi Setup and therefore has a problems with getting out DTS/Dolby output with IINA player, here is a little hack for IINA to force the passthrough of encoded audio. Just add coreaudio-spdif-hack=yes parameter in Advanced section like this

Screen Shot 2020-01-30 at 01.54.35.png

and of course this

Screen Shot 2020-01-30 at 02.03.10.png

This is a description of what it is doing:
--coreaudio-spdif-hack=<yes|no>Try to pass through AC3/DTS data as PCM. This is useful for drivers which do not report AC3 support. It converts the AC3 data to float, and assumes the driver will do the inverse conversion, which means a typical A/V receiver will pick it up as compressed IEC framed AC3 stream, ignoring that it's marked as PCM. This disables normal AC3 passthrough (even if the device reports it as supported). Use with extreme care.

Last edited:
P.S. version of IINA is 1.0.6 Build 113, but the parameter will work with any player based on mpv engine.

Last edited:
Will this work with my Catalina OS 10.15.3? I have ALC1150 device which has 5.1 speakers.

Back