Contribute
Register

AppleHDA Surround Sound [Guide]

Yes. Yes.Use Audio ID: 2.
Thank you soo much for the quick response toleda!

But, to verify, I just need to run Multibeast Setting?
- Drivers>Audio>Realtek ALCxxx>Optional HDAEnabler>Audio ID:2

Is the setting the same thing? It seems to be.
- Drivers>Audio>Realtek ALCxxx>Optional 3 Port (5.1) Audio

Sorry to waste your time, i just wanted to doublecheck w/ you. Is there anything else i should need to do?

@toleda Thank you for putting this together.

I am struggling to get passthrough working on the latest version of Plex.

My setup:

ALC1150 on MSI Z97M
Yosemite 10.10.2
Clover
cloverALC Audio ID 1
Optical cable > 5.1 channel Yamaha receiver (capable of playing DTS and AC3)
MIDI Setup set to 48000 (although it only shows 2 channels, not 5.1)
Plex Home Theater setup to support DTS and ac3 receiver

Any time I play a video with a DTS and AC3 audio track the audio comes through scrambled and the receiver thinks it is a PCM signal.

Using Mplayer X and the same video files the audio works fine and the receiver displays the correct signal (either DTS or AC3) on the front.

I've tried Plex 1.0.13 as per your original post and the same results occur as in the latest version.

Is there anyway to get the Audio MIDI Setup app to realize the ALC1150/optical cable/receiver supports 5.1 channels?

Is there anyway to get the Audio MIDI Setup app to realize the ALC1150/optical cable/receiver supports 5.1 channels?
Audio MIDI Setup is analog 2 channel only; do not change any settings. Plex sets the correct Encoded digital Audio configuration if you let it.

Audio MIDI Setup is analog 2 channel only; do not change any settings. Plex sets the correct Encoded digital Audio configuration if you let it.

I guess my issue is Plex is not outputting the correct encoded signal?

I have AC3 and DTS passthrough enabled in Plex. There aren't actually any other settings that effect the output signal as far as I know.

I haven't changed anything in Audio Midi Setup either - it's just set to 48000, 2ch 24bit.

I haven't changed anything in Audio Midi Setup either - it's just set to 48000, 2ch 24bit.
Not true; wrong setting, not default.
See Post #1, Player Test Results/2. Optical 5.1
What is the default setting noted?

What is the default setting noted?

It is 2ch 16bit.

It actually ended up being a problem with Plex's volume not set to full.

So first set Plex to analog audio output.

Then go and play a movie and use the - (minus) key and you'll see the volume control in the corner get lower.

Now go and change it to optical/coax audio output.

Go and play an ac3 or dts movie and you will get garbled sound.

Double check the volume by going to the audio settings overlay whilst playing a movie (M key, then audio settings) and you'll see the volume is locked - but it will be set at what ever you lowered it to before.

Now you have to change it back to analog audio, play the movie again and adjust the volume to full, then set it back to digital output.

Back