Contribute
Register

AppleHDA Surround Sound [Guide]

than you for the thorough information, I have one question, is that possible to get DTS HD MA & Dolby TrueHD audio output.
I have GTX770 and using HDMI for audio output and everything is working fine, but I have movies with DTS HD MA & Dolby TrueHD audio format but not working only DTS and Dolby TrueHD are not working at all.

Hi all,

GA Z97N-wifi
i7 - 4970
16GB Crucial Ballistix
OSX 10.10.5
Video = onboard 4600 gfx -HDMI connection to Anthem AVM-50 receiver
Audio = optical to Anthem AVM 50

Stereo audio works fine via the optical port into my receiver. I'm trying to figure out the path to get 5.1 audio out of this build, and my brain is going in circles with all the options and info.

Question #1
It it correct that the optical port does not support 5.1?

?#2
If the answer to #1 is yes, then, in order to get HDMI audio working, I'm confused about which of the following guides I should be using

http://www.tonymacx86.com/hdmi-audio/143760-audio-hdmi-audio-applehda-guide.html#post886766
or
http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/143757-audio-realtek-alc-applehda-guide.html#post886744

Thanks!

AJ

Attempting to get surround through HDMI on the R9 280x. HDMI sound works fine, no surround for mac/win.

I missed something? Aggregate devices are an alternative method? Running 10.10.5. on 7 ser. ivy.

Is it an EDID issue? as Ive often come across listed as the problem in similar situations.

Only reason considering is that an ATSC tuner was able to send surround to the same display through HDMI.

Because it had some EDID over-ride?

Receiver only capable of optical in. (STR-K750P) From TV optical out. Tried VLC, Plex, Kodi on files that were checked in handbrake to contain 5.1. Also tested with the standalone ATSC Tv tuner to work via HDMI-->TV Optical--->Receiver and confirms working with route. (Same route attempting to use from r9 280x.)

That Card has yet to work with that TV via HDMI whether in windows or mac. But the ATSC tuner does.

The Vizio VOJ320F1A

Back