Motherboard
Dell Inspiron 3670 DT
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
UHD 630 / RX570
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Onboard sound has always worked perfectly in Mojave, but like many, many others, once on Catalina, no sound. Actually no audio devices (except my USB DAC which works). Turns out AppleHDA is not loading (according to System Report/Extensions), and I assume AppleALC needs AppleHDA to work?

With all the non-audio Catalina posts I've read, I've not seen any reference to AppleHDA failing to load. I've seen an audio "fix" that replaces AppleHDA with an older version, but that didn't work as neither kext seems to load.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to getting AppleHDA loaded?

where and how have you put the AppleHDA kext. Are you using lilu.kext as well?
I haven't put it anywhere. It comes with Catalina and I believe it is in S/L/E. Doing some reading, some had said I needed to revert to a clean Mojave copy of AppleHDA so I got one but macOS would not let me replace the one S/L/E so I put the Mojave one in L/E and rebooted and then, like I said, neither of them load.

I have no idea why the stock Catalina AppleHDA is not loading.

there is a new way of installing kexts for Catalina - using hackintool. i would just use AppleALC kext with lilu into the clover/kexts/Other
or you need to mount the filesystem readwrite and copy over the kext and fix permissions and rebuild kext cache in terminal

there is a new way of installing kexts for Catalina - using hackintool. i would just use AppleALC kext with lilu into the clover/kexts/Other
or you need to mount the filesystem readwrite and copy over the kext and fix permissions and rebuild kext cache in terminal

I have latest AppleALC and Lilu. Still no options for audio and I know I'm using the same injectID as I was in Mojave.

have you been using AppleALC in Mojave? if not then you can not expect the same ID to work. But usually 1 or 2 works after 2nd restart

have you been using AppleALC in Mojave? if not then you can not expect the same ID to work. But usually 1 or 2 works after 2nd restart
Yes. I was using Lilu and AppleALC in Mojave. I have another identical system still on Mojave using same injectID and AppleHDA kext is loading fine and audio devices are present.

so how did you install the extra kexts? you know in Catalina it is different...
Which extra kexts? Lilu and AppleALC? I used KextBeast. Those kexts are loading correctly. It's just AppleHDA that is not loading and that is a system kext.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back