Code:
ioreg -rxn IOHDACodecDevice | grep VendorID
|   "IOHDACodecVendorID" = 0x10ec0283
Verify BIOS/.../Display audio/Enabled
Run Terminal command above
If no, 0x8086...., hardware problem

Is this the Terminal command I should run:

Thanks. I will check this when I can. However, I also used an Ubuntu USB stick and verified sound worked through DisplayPort so that leads me to believe this is not a hardware problem. Also are both the HDMI and DisplayPort tied to the same hardware because neither are working even though the headphones are.

Thank you for the help.

Last edited:
Yes
Your NUC has two audio codecs, Realek/onboard and Intel/HDMI
Intel is missing
No Intel HDMI audio codec present:
Code:
|   "IOHDACodecVendorID" = 0x10ec0283
Verify BIOS/.../Display audio/Enabled
Run Terminal command above
If no, 0x8086...., hardware problem

Checked bios and both audio options are checked.

Ran the command with the following output:
iMac:~ harlan$ ioreg -rxn IOHDACodecDevice | grep VendorID
| "IOHDACodecVendorID" = 0x10ec0283

To check if it is a hardware issue, I reinstalled my older SSD with the High Sierra image and started up the system. The DisplayPort audio was in the output preferences and when I played a video the audio worked fine. With this and the Ubuntu test, I think we can rule out a hardware issue. When I swapped the current SSD with Mojave back in, I am back to where we started - no audio.

Other ideas or troubleshooting? This is very vexing.

Describe the problem any way you want
Fact: no Intel HDMI codec, no HDMI/DP audio
Install the older ssdt, run the same Terminal command.
Reply with Terminal output

Yes I understand. Just trying to eliminate the possible causes. Thanks for the help. Output of the command as requested for the High Sierra SSD:

HARLANs-iMac:~ harlan$ ioreg -rxn IOHDACodecDevice | grep VendorID
| "IOHDACodecVendorID" = 0xffffffff80862809

the command as requested for the High Sierra SSD:

HARLANs-iMac:~ harlan$ ioreg -rxn IOHDACodecDevice | grep VendorID
| "IOHDACodecVendorID" = 0xffffffff80862809
Mojave is broken, clean install.

I was afraid this might be the only solution. Is there a way to do a clean install without losing settings and data? Thanks.

Hi, I've tried Option A as described in the first post of this thread. I've recently re-installed macOS, so AppleHDA.kext should be fresh. I've placed AppleALC.kext, Lilu.kext, and WhateverGreen.kext in the "others" folder of the Clover kexts folder.

The only audio device that appears in the system settings is the USB audio adapter that I'm using now. The problem with the USB audio adapter is that moving the mouse using doing anything more than idling causes a screeching/noise to come out of my (screen) speakers. I want to connect my screen speakers using DisplayPort audio instead. (and then maybe use the audio output of my screen for other speakers)

I have previously been able to get audio working in this hardware setup (I've reinstalled since) but it broke after an update and I haven't been able to restore it. However, I always had to restart the audio output app (Backgroundmusic) after screen sleep. Audio also worked over the motherboard Realtek 1150 output but that also broke (and it had the same screeching problem as the USB audio adapter so I never used it).

What I find strange is the fact that while looking around in the clover boot screen options, a list of normal-looking audio devices appeared that I can't access while in macOS. (I've attached a screen picture) I've also included a screen picture of the visible log of clover loading.

Is it actually necessary to install the kexts into Library/Extensions? Can I not place them in the clover "other" kexts folder instead and have them injected upon boot?
If that is necessary after all, how can I restore my Library/Extensions if I choose to not use this method after installing the kexts there? (Last time I tried restoring the folder it got completely messed up and unhappy)

macOS 10.13.6, MSI Z170A Gaming M5 ATX, Intel Core i7 6700K, Asus GTX 1060 Strix 6GB
ioreg -rxn IOHDACodecDevice | grep VendorID produces no output.
ioreg -rxn AppleGFXHDADriver | grep vendorcodecID produces no output.
The folder EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched is empty.

Attachments

• problem report.zip
    7.2 MB · Views: 84
I've placed AppleALC.kext, Lilu.kext, and WhateverGreen.kext in the "others" folder of the Clover kexts folder.
IOReg does not show AppleALC.kext or WhateverGreen.kext
IOReg does show Lilu.kext_v1.2.4, obsolete/update
IOReg does show NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext, deprecated/remove
ioreg -rxn IOHDACodecDevice | grep VendorID produces no output.
Codecs are disabled, verify BIOS/.../HD Audio/Enabled
Is it actually necessary to install the kexts into Library/Extensions?
See [GUIDE] Installing 3rd Party Kexts - El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave +

Back