Motherboard
Asus P5QE
CPU
Intel Q9650
Graphics
MSI GT 710
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have already posted this on our sister forum and received no response. I was hoping I might have better luck over here .

I have successfully installed Big Sur on an old socket 775 Asus P5Q-E using OpenCore 0.7.0 (edit:I have since updated to OC 0.7.8). I have managed to get everything working except for sound. This board uses an ADI AD2000B. My CPU is an Intel Q9650. I am using the most updated version of Lilu (v1.6.0) AppleALC (v1.6.9).

I followed the Dortania guide on audio troubleshooting with the following results:

I confirmed proper loading of Lilu, AppleHDA and AppleALC:

1645909376609.png

gfxutil produces the following output

1645909446192.png

This is my config.plist DeviceProperties setting:

1645909498983.png

This is what IOReg Explorer looks like. Note, despite setting layout-id as 5 it still reads 7:

1645909556248.png

Hackintool Screenshot:

1645909598898.png

According to to the AppleALC Supported Codecs page AD2000B is supported with layouts 5 and 7. I have tried both with no success. I have also tried using alcid boot arguments with the same values.

Happy to submit any additional info you need. Any assistance would be most appreciated. I know this is an old legacy system but I have derived a great deal of enjoyment keeping this ancient hack alive.

edit: I installed the debug versions of Lilu and AppleALC and am attaching the generated debug log file.

Attachments

• 1645909599010.png
    1645909599010.png
    121.4 KB · Views: 82
  • Lilu_1.6.0_20.6.txt
    40.7 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Well, I finally got it to work. MaLd0n on the other forum suggested I again try the boot argument alcid. After making several attempts, clearing nvram between reboots, alcid=7 did the trick. I also made sure to delete my DeviceProperties entry as I know from past experience that it's either one or the other but not both. I went back and tried using layout-id 7 under DeviceProperties but this was not equally successful even though the Dortania guide says this is the preferred method.

Can you please share your EFI? I would like to give my old P5Q a shot :)
Thanks.

Thanks.
Happy to do so. I'll try to upload it later today. You are not going to be able to install Big Sur or Monterey using this EFI. All successful attempts to hack this board require installing macOS on your drive using a separate computer. I used a Gigabyte Z490 Vision D. After the macOS is installed on your SSD, you can swap out the EFI and use it to boot on your P5Q system. The whole process is a bit tricky and easily fails at multiple points. I am certainly no expert but am happy to help out as best I can.

Thanks.
The EFI you requested is attached. I have changed the serial numbers. It uses OpenCore 0.7.8 (Debug version). I'm currently running Monterey 12.3.1.

Like I mentioned above, you are going to have to do the initial install on a different system. Once installed on your SSD, you swap out for this EFI to boot with your P5Q board. You will also need to update the MBR on your SSD as per these instructions.

This EFI was initially created using an AMD RX 560D graphics card. Because I thought this was overkill for this system I used the Geforce Kepler patcher program (also attached) to run my cheap NVIDIA GeForce GT 710. You have to re-install this patcher with each OS update which is a bit of a pain.

I am happy to be of assistance but my skills are limited.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    6.9 MB · Views: 131
  • Geforce Kepler patcher.zip
    19.4 MB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back