Contribute
Register

AppleALC ALC269 how to choose which one of 18 layout-ids?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Thinkpad T440p
CPU
i7-4710MQ (replaced stock i5)
Graphics
HD4600
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. Other
I just upgraded from High Sierra to Mojave. (I had been using layout-id 3 with a Mirone AppleHDA-patched AppleHDA.kext and injecting the layout-id=3 in SSDT-HDEF.aml.) Before upgrading, I saved the patched AppleHDA.kext and made no changes to SSDT-HDEF.aml. After upgrading, I backed up the Mojave AppleHDA.kext and just replaced it with the old one from High Sierra. Sound appears to work fine, but eventually I'll get around to the recommended method using AppleALC....

But wait....
Don't tell me I have to reboot over and over trying each alcid=X on the clover kernel parameters?

Even with the Mojave AppleHDA.kext layout removals, that still leaves 18 choices for X:

Is there something in the codec dump that can help to figure it out?

Attachments

• Codec Info.zip
    2.9 KB · Views: 462
I just upgraded from High Sierra to Mojave. (I had been using layout-id 3 with a Mirone AppleHDA-patched AppleHDA.kext and injecting the layout-id=3 in SSDT-HDEF.aml.) Before upgrading, I saved the patched AppleHDA.kext and made no changes to SSDT-HDEF.aml. After upgrading, I backed up the Mojave AppleHDA.kext and just replaced it with the old one from High Sierra. Sound appears to work fine, but eventually I'll get around to the recommended method using AppleALC....

But wait....
Don't tell me I have to reboot over and over trying each alcid=X on the clover kernel parameters?

Even with the Mojave AppleHDA.kext layout removals, that still leaves 18 choices for X:

Test each valid layout-id.

@romanaOne,

As mentioned in this guide :-

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/an-idiots-guide-to-lilu-and-its-plug-ins.260063/

You can look at the comments in the appropriate info.plist for clues as to which Layout to use, your codec dump shows that you have a Realtek ALC269 so the correct info.plist to look at would be this one :-

https://github.com/acidanthera/AppleALC/blob/master/Resources/ALC269/Info.plist

I just had a quick look myself and can not see anything specific for System76 Gazelle laptop so you might have to work through the available layouts one at a time as RehabMan suggested. FYI Mirone's patches are layout's 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9

Note: You should really use Device Properties to set the Property name "layout-id" to your selected layout rather than using the boot argument "alcid=" ... see the linked guide above if you are not familiar with setting Device Properties.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
I was able to get layout 28 to work. Confirmed it is injected in IORegexplorer (alc-layout-id = 0x1c). I did as you suggested and used "Device Properties" in config.plist as described in the guide above.

I notice my codec dump said "ALC269VC" and only layouts 13,14,18,28,29,30,33,35,40,66 in the plist file linked have "ALC269VC" in their description. Got it in 9 guesses.

Yay! One fewer ssdt to load and no more mucking about with AppleHDA patching....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back