Contribute
Register

Apple Worldwide Developer Conference WWDC June 6th 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
NeoGeo71 said:
the recoverery disk image has been found in the install. so hopefully it will be in the final release as well.

But can it be turned into a bootable disk to allow installation of Lion on a bare drive? I honestly think if you trash a drive and don't have a back up somewhere, it will not be possible to rebuild from scratch.

Apple will have to make some sort of install media, if for no other reason than that repair centers like ours need them. Customer brings in computer with dead hard drive. Apple ships us a replacement drive. Then we install SL on it using an install disk. Unless Apple changes up the repair process, the system will be the same for Lion. It's possible Apple will move to USB keys like they have with the MBAs and not produce a single Lion optical disk, but that's not terribly likely. My bet is that Apple will stop including install media with new computers and just rely on the restore partition (boo!). That said, they may also provide authorized service providers such as myself with downloadable dmgs that we will be able to restore onto a USB drive or burn to an optical disk and use to install on bare drives. This is exactly the system already in place for our diagnostic software, which is basically a modded version of OSX running custom diagnostics utilities.

jkizer said:
That said, they may also provide authorized service providers such as myself with downloadable dmgs that we will be able to restore onto a USB drive or burn to an optical disk and use to install on bare drives. This is exactly the system already in place for our diagnostic software, which is basically a modded version of OSX running custom diagnostics utilities.

Good news- TUAW has published a method to do this with the dev build- most likely it will work the same way next month.
http://www.tuaw.com/2011/06/07/how-to-b ... boot-disc/

that's what I was referring to. Didn't know if i should post the link yet.... There will always be a way... Hackintosh will continue as always...
Looking forward to building my first Hackintosh this week!

If you do a search on "burning-a-lion-boot-disc" there is talk and instructions of how to burn a Lion boot disc image from the Lion download from the Apple Apps Store.

So apparently everything that is needed is in the download. You don't have to install from the file or the HDD.

OK, you can burn a boot disk, so installation is likely to be a lot like we do now. The problem of getting the Lion download remains. A Mac or a hackintosh still needs to connect to the app store.

So instead of saying only retail SL DVD's are supported we say only downloads of Lion from the app store are supported. At that point it becomes a wink and a nod because a first time hackintosh builder can't make that download unless he can somehow get his hands on a Mac. That does resemble the chicken or the egg problem when a Mac was needed to format a USB stick.

Actually, I believe Apple sees the app store as the most efficient distribution channel. This way they don't have to give Fry's or Microcenter a cut. What Apple would really like is to make the app store the exclusive source of all Mac software. That way they get 30% of everything they way they do now with iOS devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back