Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI
CPU
i7-9700
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
Ah well, Big Sur is finally ready to be released?

As mentioned before I am not going to plunge into it right now unlike most of you. I will wait until at least August or September 2021 to consider whether to try and install Big Sur on my systems.

At least the release version of Big Sur is supposed to fix the previous problem of unable to create a bootable clone of the signed system volume (SSV). Without this capability I can't use SuperDuper to transfer the system and Big Sur will be useless for me.
that's a look wait. hehehe

Motherboard
HP 8300 Elite
CPU
i5-3570
Graphics
GT 710
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Without this capability I can't use SuperDuper to transfer the system and Big Sur will be useless for me.
Why the need to use SuperDuper - It takes an extra 2 mins to prepare boot and copy over efi partition, what am I missing?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI
CPU
i7-9700
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 10.34.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 10.34.45 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 180

Jamesbond007

Motherboard
Z390 Designare
CPU
i7 9700KF
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Why the need to use SuperDuper - It takes an extra 2 mins to prepare boot and copy over efi partition, what am I missing?
I have several (different) systems as you can see. I would like to do the Big Sur installation just ONCE in the future on one of my systems, and then clone the system to the other systems using a blank disk. That's why I need SuperDuper to work. I will have to adjust config.plist and the drivers on each system, of course, but that still beats having to do the installation on each system.

I did the same previously with Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave and Catalina. I did the installation just once, and then clone the installation to the other systems.

Last edited:

Jamesbond007

Motherboard
Z390 Designare
CPU
i7 9700KF
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
that's a look wait. hehehe
You mean a long wait?

No matter. I see no point in upgrading to Big Sur (or any newly released OS on any device), right away after their release. I did the same with Mojave and Catalina, only installing them when they reached the .6 version. I will continue to use Sierra / High Sierra / Mojave on my main system. I seldom boot Catalina 10.15.7 even though it is installed. My use does not require the "newest".

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-Gaming 7
CPU
i7 4970S
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. iMac
I think he's going to install Big Sur on different machines, and plans on installing it in one drive then copying everything to the new drive. I used to do that with clover, as I could never copy paste the efi folder and manage to make it work. Transferring to the new drive, I use time machine and that made it a bit easier than using super duper.

With Opencocre it's a different story, for me at least, what I did was make a test ssd with OC and BS, made sure that it worked perfectly, then copied the entire (properly working BS/OC) efi folder and had no need for superduper or time machine.

Motherboard
dell 7472
CPU
8th gen i5 8250U
Graphics
UHD620. ,nvidia 2gb
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
how do u direct update from catalina to big sur? just creating two partition one for clover bootloader version 5126 angd another partition for big sur app on usb installer?will clover V. 5126 works on big sur with the same config plist used in catalina?please help

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-Gaming 7
CPU
i7 4970S
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. iMac
how do u direct update from catalina to big sur? just creating two partition one for clover bootloader version 5126 angd another partition for big sur app on usb installer?will clover V. 5126 works on big sur with the same config plist used in catalina?please help
What I did was create a Big Sur drive using Opencore 0.6.3, where I loaded every kext, driver etc that I needed. Made sure that worked well, then simply deleted everything in the Clover efi folder in the Catalina drive, and copied the efi form the new big sur drive to the old catalina drive. Booted Catalina perfectly. Then, in Catalina ran the software update to upgrade to Big Sur Beta. I'm not on clover anymore.