Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I Gaming
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
HD 630
I have a handful of builds. GA-z77n, GA-z97n, GA-z170n, Asus z390i. On each of them I can get my Apple Watch to unlock the computer once and then it can't do it again. Handoff usually works on all of them. Airdrop usually works on all of them. I say "usually" because more often than not, I don't have trouble with handoff or airdrop. But the Apple Watch is a one time and done issue.

The only time I can get it to work is right after I enable "Allow your Apple Watch to unlock you Mac" in Security & Privacy under General Settings. It doesn't always work, but when it does, it will only do it the one time. I get frustrated with the subsequent time outs at the login screen and eventually disable it. Only later to try again.

I've:
  • forced my hack to stay on the 2.4ghz
  • reset wifi and bluetooth on the hack, iPhone and Apple Watch
  • turned on bluetooth sharing in network settings
The only thing that ever works is disabling the unlock feature and then re-enabling it sometime in the future only to have it work the one time.

I just don't get it. Anyone have it working consistently?

I found some "how to guides" that cover regular Macs stating that unlock requires Bluetooth 4.2. I have a DW1560 (BCM94352Z/AzureWave AW-CE162NF/DW1560) in my GA-z97n build. How can I tell if its Bluetooth 4.2?

If is it as a Mac you should find it here.
  1. Click the  menu.
  2. Select About This Mac.
  3. Click on the More Info... button.
  4. Click on the System Report... button.
  5. Select Bluetooth from the sidebar on the left, underneath "Hardware."
  6. Scan down the list of information until you find "LMP Version."

If is it as a Mac you should find it here.
  1. Click the  menu.
  2. Select About This Mac.
  3. Click on the More Info... button.
  4. Click on the System Report... button.
  5. Select Bluetooth from the sidebar on the left, underneath "Hardware."
  6. Scan down the list of information until you find "LMP Version."
LMP Version: 4.0 (0x6)

Bummer. Could this be what's causing the inconsistency? Most of us only have Bluetooth 4.0 and not Bluetooth 4.2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back