Contribute
Register

Apple Updates MacBook Pros with 8th-Generation Intel CPUs and 32GB RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would be reasonable price for 4tb super fast m2 in a slim & yet so powerful notebook?

Criticism for price has its place of course but you need to think what you’re getting.
In general MacBook Pro is in the same league as dell xps. But I can’t notice any noise from its price. My xps15 was about 3700$.

Apple can put all the power they want in a laptop but without better cooling, it's probably going to thermal throttle on me when I render. I'm starting to tinker with Peltier chips for active cooling. I just need to figure out how to use an Arduino to control the temp so I don't go sub ambient and produce condensation.

Apple can put all the power they want in a laptop but without better cooling, it's probably going to thermal throttle on me when I render. I'm starting to tinker with Peltier chips for active cooling. I just need to figure out how to use an Arduino to control the temp so I don't go sub ambient and produce condensation.

They are actually using bigger batteries for these and they will run a little cooler than previous gen as Intel is already reaching the peak of 14nm++ process.

They are having issues with 10nm and most likely will either skip for 7nm or 10nm will be here by 2019 or 2020.

We're already reaching peaks in CPU shrinkage, this is why AMD opted for infinity fabric so they can "glue" together lower binned dies together instead of doing what Intel does.

However, I think once Intel is successful in 10nm or 7nm shrinkage, we're going to see MacBook Pros that run fairly cool, but who knows Apple might hit super thin levels by 2020 where we start having the same issues in terms of throttling.

Honestly a laptop is not supposed to be a workstation replacement, it's supposed to meet you half way with it.

So best combo is a MBP for the road and a desktop at home so you can continue working at full speed.

The 13" looks really tasty right now with the Quad Core getting 17+k in Geekbench, which is as fast as previous gen 15" MBPs. The only downside is it has no dGPU.

It sucks, but this certainly isn't new. The decision has to be made at the time of purchase what you want. I fully expect the next Mac Mini to be the same way. I was surprised to find that the RAM in the iMac Pros are user upgradeable, albeit with a fair amount of difficulty...

I haven't seen the internals of the new MacBook Pros, but RAM may be upgradeable the same way MacBook Air RAM can be upgraded...

Apple tends to never go backwards, always fowards. All RAM and SSDs will be soldered on the new MBPs just like previous year.

Best is to buy the specs you want on first purchase.

This has always been Steve Job's vision, in terms of lack of upgradability.

Don't forget to add in the cost (and inconvenience) of 3 or 4 dongles so that you can use industry-standard peripherals!

This is a moot point nowadays. USB-C is the future and you need to be ready for it. It's a great connector that's interchangeable and if it supports Thunderbolt 3, it can literally become any port you want.

The only reason USB-A is still here and will be here for a while is because of all the legacy peripherals and hard drives that are out there. Over time they will go away into the dust-bin just like FireWire etc.

They are actually using bigger batteries for these and they will run a little cooler than previous gen as Intel is already reaching the peak of 14nm++ process.

They are having issues with 10nm and most likely will either skip for 7nm or 10nm will be here by 2019 or 2020.

We're already reaching peaks in CPU shrinkage, this is why AMD opted for infinity fabric so they can "glue" together lower binned dies together instead of doing what Intel does.

However, I think once Intel is successful in 10nm or 7nm shrinkage, we're going to see MacBook Pros that run fairly cool, but who knows Apple might hit super thin levels by 2020 where we start having the same issues in terms of throttling.

Honestly a laptop is not supposed to be a workstation replacement, it's supposed to meet you half way with it.

So best combo is a MBP for the road and a desktop at home so you can continue working at full speed.

The 13" looks really tasty right now with the Quad Core getting 17+k in Geekbench, which is as fast as previous gen 15" MBPs. The only downside is it has no dGPU.

If it has 32GB of ram, 6 core i9, 4TB SSD... It's a workstation.

If it has 32GB of ram, 6 core i9, 4TB SSD... It's a workstation.

It will throttle like crazy if you run it at 100% load for a long period of time. It's still an ultrabook.

And no one is going to buy the 4TB option, a very few will.

i9 is just a lame branding from Intel, it's still slower than the 8700k since it's a mobile chip.

totally agreed with pastrychef comment about the cost of the ssd drive
unless you really need that drive you save thousands of dollars
you can always use external drives for data storage and simply use the internal ssd to run Mac OS, run apps etc

the problem with apple is that they think that we are millionaires
I personally like to buy everything cash
but some people will have to finance that machine and that will also increase the price
because they will have to pay interest

pretty looking machine but I already have my hackintosh
too late for that now apple
I already spent too much money building my machine
but maybe after a few years I might buy a genuine Mac Pro
that is if apple ever release the next model that everybody is waiting for

Mac Pro the forgotten Desktop computer system
please Tim go away soon

It looks ugly, but I put a patch of Velcro on the top (back of monitor) and attach an SSD in a USB case with a short cable to the back. That way, I can carry it around without worrying about the external drive... It's attached to the laptop. (by QNINE on Amazon)

Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 3.21.08 AM.png

It will throttle like crazy if you run it at 100% load for a long period of time. It's still an ultrabook.

And no one is going to buy the 4TB option, a very few will.

i9 is just a lame branding from Intel, it's still slower than the 8700k since it's a mobile chip.

I will... I paid $1600 for a 2TB Samsung 960 for my X299. The 4TB is not out of line. Tempted to just get the i7 version but the price difference on CPUs just isn't that much.

I will... I paid $1600 for a 2TB Samsung 960 for my X299. The 4TB is not out of line. Tempted to just get the i7 version but the price difference on CPUs just isn't that much.

You're one of few...

If I were to get one of these (or a current gen iMac or iMac Pro), the first thing I would do would be to look in to applying some liquid metal to help lower temps. This should go a long way to help preventing throttling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back