Contribute
Register

Apple Updates MacBook Pros with 8th-Generation Intel CPUs and 32GB RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, the $6700 price is a bit deceptive. The 4TB SSD upgrade costs $3400. Stick to a 256GB SSD and the price drops to a much more manageable $2900. Still a hefty chunk of change, but not nearly as outrageous.

Really nice specs. Can't wait to see what Apple does with the other Mac models.

Not so easy. The complete lack of upgradability after market and the nonsense price of all the models but the base ones put things in a very bad way. Practically it's only convenient to buy the base model but then you have serious constraints (if you're a real user) regarding ram and storage. Bad Apple! :thumbdown

Not so easy. The complete lack of upgradability after market and the nonsense price of all the models but the base ones put things in a very bad way. Practically it's only convenient to buy the base model but then you have serious constraints (if you're a real user) regarding ram and storage. Bad Apple! :thumbdown

It sucks, but this certainly isn't new. The decision has to be made at the time of purchase what you want. I fully expect the next Mac Mini to be the same way. I was surprised to find that the RAM in the iMac Pros are user upgradeable, albeit with a fair amount of difficulty...

I haven't seen the internals of the new MacBook Pros, but RAM may be upgradeable the same way MacBook Air RAM can be upgraded...

Apple updated its MacBook Pro line today with 8th Generation Coffee Lake CPUs. Other specs include up to 32GB of RAM, Apple's T2 chip, Radeon Pro graphics, up to 4TB SSD, and Thunderbolt 3. Fully loaded the top end MacBook Pro with 4TB SSD drive is $6699. What do you think of these new machines?

Source:
https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2018...faster-performance-and-new-features-for-pros/

OK... Guess it's time to sell my 2015 2.8GHz quad-core i7 with 1TB of ssd... I've been waiting for this one.

It sucks, but this certainly isn't new. The decision has to be made at the time of purchase what you want. I fully expect the next Mac Mini to be the same way. I was surprised to find that the RAM in the iMac Pros are user upgradeable, albeit with a fair amount of difficulty...

I haven't seen the internals of the new MacBook Pros, but RAM may be upgradeable the same way MacBook Air RAM can be upgraded...

That's nutz!

totally agreed with pastrychef comment about the cost of the ssd drive
unless you really need that drive you save thousands of dollars
you can always use external drives for data storage and simply use the internal ssd to run Mac OS, run apps etc

the problem with apple is that they think that we are millionaires
I personally like to buy everything cash
but some people will have to finance that machine and that will also increase the price
because they will have to pay interest

pretty looking machine but I already have my hackintosh
too late for that now apple
I already spent too much money building my machine
but maybe after a few years I might buy a genuine Mac Pro
that is if apple ever release the next model that everybody is waiting for

Mac Pro the forgotten Desktop computer system
please Tim go away soon

It's not just for the rich people. It's for the rich people in rich countries. Over the years I have spent multiple times my budget on computers/technology because I am an enthusiast/geek and it is also a hobby besides being needed for work. But I am not going to spend half a year's salary to pay the Apple tax on something that is not user/3rd party upgradeable and fixable and I can't afford to travel 600 km to reach the nearest "authorized" service center or wait for weeks if something happens.

Luxury laptops for the very wealthy. Apple is leaving the majority of people behind. Thankfully I have a hackintosh already running an 8th generation intel cpu. I can only assume that if Apple ever gets around to updating the desktop (Mac mini, Mac Pro) they will be similarly priced. From a business and personal standpoint the investment in genuine Mac doesn’t seem to make sense anymore.

MacBook Pro's have always been expensive...People who can afford it use it for productivity, some buy it as a luxury item.

Every generation MacBook Pro that I have bought I spent at least $2,500...

My last MBP was $3,300....

Yeah the top end one is super expensive, but you don't have to pay $7000...

I'd like to spec bump all of the parts except the 4TB/2TB SSD, and the one I want comes out to $3899

Don't forget to add in the cost (and inconvenience) of 3 or 4 dongles so that you can use industry-standard peripherals!

Don't forget to add in the cost (and inconvenience) of 3 or 4 dongles so that you can use industry-standard peripherals!

If you can afford $3K+ for a MacBook Pro, odds are $7 bucks ain't gonna kill you. And, honestly, are these things really that inconvenient??????

Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 10.01.11 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back