Contribute
Register

Apple Updates Mac Lineup

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Gigamaxx: Nvidia doesn't support 10bit color on their consumer cards, only Quadro's will do this.

In fact it's not a complete miracle that Ellesmere can run on "Baffin" drivers. In the end it's the same architecture, just a different size. The same has been possible with Maxwell cards in the past: The latest cards (e.g. 980Ti and 950) were running perfectly fine without any manual mods (Nvidia doesn't rely on device IDs like AMD does, so some things are easier) without updating the drivers.
Polaris 10/11 (as well as other AMD cards) would be great recommendable cards if there wasn't that stupid boot to black screen issue. My old R9 280 has moved to my MacPro since with iGPU=Primary was REALLY driving me nuts.

Just so you know, my GTX 780 is running in 10-bit mode. It's enabled in the iMac14,2 and MP6,1 sysdefs only. Attempts to use it in any other sysdef results in glitched colors.

GTX 780 10-bit Color Mode.jpg

Oddly enough, my Samsung H7150 46" panel, thanks to the panel lottery gods being generous with me (they source from three manufacturers for their panels in this series), I have a 10-bit capable display. I tried it on the 32" Samsung UN32C6500 I also have and got glitched colors like you'd get when trying to use a 256-color game on an OS that doesn't support it and forgot to enable compatibility mode for it.

Really hoping this means the new Samsung 960 is supported natively! Currently running off of a 950 right now but have to deal with boot duplicates. Does anyone know if the Samsung 960 works with the same NVMe kexts and solutions that members (myself included) are currently using for the 950 series? Cheers!

I am upset. Am i the only one who loved older macbook pros?
I'm also annoyed with the direction they've taken. I'd like to see them bring back a model with all the features of my mid-2011 Macbook Pro, but with dual user-swappable, tool-free drive bays (no need for any optical bay, but nice to at least have dual drives--SSD plus a backup HDD is my arrangement in my old Macbook Pro, which didn't have an optical drive in it for more than week), user-upgradeable RAM (to 32GB+), user-swappable keyboard and trackpad, user-swappable battery, and standard function keys on a 15" model. I don't need thinner, thinner, lighter, lighter... I want all the ports. I want at least a couple standard USB3 ports (with placement that allows plugging in a USB stick without blocking adjacent ports), standard MagSafe power, Mini-Displayport and HDMI and the SD card slot. The "Retina" displays are nice, but not worth enough to me to not be considering a Hackbook with non-Retina graphics to have most of the features I've just listed.

No Retina display. Are you kidding me.
What model are you looking at, anyway? All the Macbook Pro models have Retina displays. I do like that, at least, but it's not enough to make me like the specs of this new design.

So, let me see:

- 30 mins on iToys
- Roughly 1 hour of demoing/ad time for a gimmicky input method that just isn't pro at all
- A TV experience that isn't revolutionary at all – Netflix did this in 2014
- Thinner/lighter obsession
- Ridiculous price
- Removal of magsafe
- Removal of SD-slot even on Ultrabooks
- Present 3.5mm jack/nonpresent lightning port
(makes totally sense since their flagship phone has a nonpresent 3.5mm jack/present lightning port)
- 3.5mm jack on the right side whereas e v e r y pair of headphones has its cable on the left side
- No optical audio via 3.5mm jack
- 16gb DDR3 (!) RAM limit
- Dual Core limit on 13" units
- Low/mid end GPU on 15" units
- No dedicated GPU on 13" units
- Crippled TB3 bandwith on 13" units
- No power extension cable (wait, what?)
- Reported incompatibility with TB3 devices
- Dongle time, baby!
- No new Mac Pro
- No new iMac
- No new Mini
- No new Display (reportedly discontinued)

And the worst keynote I've ever watched (except for Photoshop girl – skip to 60:26).
I didn't bother watching the keynote since I had already seen the feature list you just enumerated and was as irritated as ever with the stupid decisions they've made... I didn't feel the need to be annoyed by watching them talk about their "innovations" as if all this was a GoodThing™. ;-)

Third-Party providers (like owc/macsales) are providing SSD upgrades for the MacBook Pro, so you *can* upgrade the internal HD.

Your SOL when it comes to RAM though - that's soldered on.
I think what he meant was that you can't upgrade the SSD when you first buy. Why should you have to discard a 256GB drive and think of another use for it to change it to a 512GB one?

Actually, the RX 460 is the Polaris 11, the RX 470, and RX 480 are Polaris 10. I've had the pleasure of running all three in sierra since the early betas.
View attachment 217635
In the AMD9500controllerkext it has the 67ef1002 and 67df1002 definitions and support. Benchmarks on these cardsa are very close to windows 10 in the latest betas.

What's even cooler is the Broadwell and SKYLAKE graphics support in the new Sierra software. There are too many definitions in the AppleIntelSKLgrapphicskext to get a screen shot of. There must be over 10 Skylake igpu definitions in there. I'll bet Tony will have used all ten by next year at the rate he builds systems.
Hi Gigamaxx could you please tell us which XFX RX480 did you bought, there is one that i saw that is overclocked, one XFX RX-480P8DFA6 and XFX RX-480P8LFB6. Thanks

Hi Gigamaxx could you please tell us which XFX RX480 did you bought, there is one that i saw that is overclocked, one XFX RX-480P8DFA6 and XFX RX-480P8LFB6. Thanks

I have the reference model, the June 29 release card. All the XFX cards are reported working, the aftermarket models look very nice and have a dual bios which may come in real handy in the future.
Other 480 cards that work well.
Saphire Nitro 480, Powercooler Red Devil, MSI, and XFX all models.

Problem cards to date.
Gigabyte, Asus, HIS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back