Contribute
Register

Apple Updates Mac Lineup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Windows Direct x11 and x12 are not a fair comparison to OS but here are some comparative benchmarks.
Windows dedicated pic card. Windows open gl dedicated pie card.
View attachment 217863 View attachment 217860
Windows igfx open gl
View attachment 217864 View attachment 217865

So, the performance in windows open gl is very close. If the RX 480 is missing 20 out of 36 compute units, how is it keeping up with the windows benchmarks while in the inferior 16 cu unit limited Sierra?

Luxmark shows 16 compute units but it also lists it as a prototype. 30bit (ARGB201010) is also present, so although the RTX 480 is not perfect it beats the heck out of my 18 compute unit RX 460 in every test. And it certainly beats the HD 530 graphics in every way. For $250 US its not a bad card for budget buyers and I believe these benchmarks are close to the 970 Nvidia cards in Sierra.

I run Geekbenche's 4 Compute and it gives me a ~85000 score when my RX 480 should perform around 125000 (probably with windows drivers).

There is definitely something wrong here.

I have the reference model, the June 29 release card. All the XFX cards are reported working, the aftermarket models look very nice and have a dual bios which may come in real handy in the future.
Other 480 cards that work well.
Saphire Nitro 480, Powercooler Red Devil, MSI, and XFX all models.

Problem cards to date.
Gigabyte, Asus, HIS.
Thanks Gigamaxx, I will look for the XFX cards. Have a nice day :)

Id recommend staying away from XFX OS X and macOS don't like XFX cards.

In OSX Sierra XFX cards are very compatible, the older XFX cards have Vbios issues with compatibility issues but all the XFX RX 480 cards have been running in Sierra for some time now.

This is true for non RX cards with XFX Branding like the R7, R9 series cards but for the RX 480 they are working very well. My XFX RX 480 reference card has been running with 30 bit color and metal support since late august.

In OSX Sierra XFX cards are very compatible, the older XFX cards have Vbios issues with compatibility issues but all the XFX RX 480 cards have been running in Sierra for some time now.

This is true for non RX cards with XFX Branding like the R7, R9 series cards but for the RX 480 they are working very well. My XFX RX 480 reference card has been running with 30 bit color and metal support since late august.

Do you have to have IGPU enabled with your RX 480?

Do you have to have IGPU enabled with your RX 480?

Yes, and I've also tested with Nvidia and AMD in combos using dedicated graphics mode. X99 systems without igpu capabilities can use a lesser native card like a Nvidia 8400gs or and AMD 5450 in pcie slot 1 and put an RX in slot 2 and it works. It was reported and I've tested it with Haswell and Skylake systems using dedicated "peg" graphics in bios settings. The benchmarks are lower by 15-20 % versus using igpu/RX, from my experience.

Someone just said they got their 1080/RX 480 working in the Radeon testers thread. The RX only has 32 bit color but he has metal support and the 1080 lists as display 7mb no kext loaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back