Contribute
Register

Apple Unveils Redesigned Mac Pro Desktop and Pro Display XDR at WWDC

Status
Not open for further replies.
By PC, I meant pre-built system such as those from Dell or HP.

Remember that Windows stole a lot from Macintosh and Android wholesale ripped off iOS.

I find Samsung and quality in the same sentence an oxymoron.

Again, how many game changers have companies like Samsung, Microsoft, Dell, or HP released?

View attachment 411647

View attachment 411648

Only reason Android exists is because Eric Schmidt was on the board at Apple and heard that Apple is making a mobile OS, so he left and started the Android project at google.

Android is the least user friendly OS I've ever seen. The user fragmentation is a joke. The hardware and software are similar to what Windows and PCs are, they are not intertwined. Even the Google Pixel....same thing.

Apple is never the first, but they do it right. Sometimes they fail, sometimes they win. They're a very pragmatic company (especially under Jobs) that is willing to rid of old dogma quickly, unlike other companies like HP, Dell, Samsung. They remind me of Sony electronics division which used to experiment and make a bunch of products and dump them if it didn't work.

Also Apple reinvented the streamlined precision Chinese manufacturing that literally every company now from Huawei, Samsung, etc are taking advantage of. This all started with the iPhone and the Unibody MacBook, which both were at least 5 years ahead of the competition.

Now show me a phone or a laptop that doesn't look like an Apple ripoff in one way or another? You can't.

When a smartphone or a tablet can be used from anyone from the age of 6 to 96, there is something there. Apple is one of the only companies that understands and spends a lot of money in R&D for User Interfaces, and even in the 80s they used to hire Frog Design in SF which would make them guides and experimental products for user interfaces.

You should see people's faces when they first use an iOS device, they light up. Especially older people who have never been tech savvy. It takes a second to show them how something is done, or they discover it themselves. Younger people are different now as they grew up with these devices from a very small age.

Last edited:
Only reason Android exists is because Eric Schmidt was on the board at Apple and heard that Apple is making a mobile OS, so he left and started the Android project at google.

Yup. Eric "The Mole" Schmidt. Slimeball.

@pastrychef, @izo1

Great you keep telling me how they made things easier for everyone and I keep agreeing with you that they made everything easier for everyone. That is not really innovative that is smart design, and there were a few touch screens long before IOS but they were way before their time. The last great innovation from jobs was Apple ecosystem. Once again just because everyone wants to look like you does not make you innovative it makes you trendy.

I also know a lot of people that still would prefer their blackberry keyboard or their sidekick keyboard over the digital touch screen of the Iphone/Android.

@pastrychef, @izo1

Great you keep telling me how they made things easier for everyone and I keep agreeing with you that they made everything easier for everyone. That is not really innovative that is smart design, and there were a few touch screens long before IOS but they were way before their time. The last great innovation from jobs was Apple ecosystem. Once again just because everyone wants to look like you does not make you innovative it makes you trendy.

Prior to iPhone, all smartphones that had touch screens used resistive touch screens and stylii were pretty much a necessity. iPhone was first to market with capacitive touch screen. Game changer.

Prior to iPhone, all other smartphones had physical keyboards. Apple was first to market with on screen, touch keyboards. Game changer.

Yes, it's smart design. It's also innovative.

Prior to iPhone, all smartphones that had touch screens used resistive touch screens and stylii were pretty much a necessity. iPhone was first to market with capacitive touch screen. Game changer.

Prior to iPhone, all other smartphones had physical keyboards. Apple was first to market with on screen, touch keyboards. Game changer.

Most of them by the time the time the iPhone was coming out did not need the stylist. Some people would still prefer the physical keyboard.

@pastrychef, @izo1

I also know a lot of people that still would prefer their blackberry keyboard or their sidekick keyboard over the digital touch screen of the Iphone/Android.

Things that are popular tend to shift society to a different direction...that's what people call trends.

The PC tech nerd industry can keep hating on Apple, but they're sitting on $1 Trillion for a very good reason.

You don't have to talk to me about what design is. I'm a graphic designer by trade...and not some crappy one who makes fliers for a local band.

The world would be boring without Apple.

I'll just leave these here.

Most of them by the time the time the iPhone was coming out did not need the stylist. Some people would still prefer the physical keyboard.

I don't know what country you're in, but when the original iPhone came out in 2007, the most popular smartphone that was not the BlackBerry was the Motorola Black Jack. They were all crappy phones with physical keys.

You have nostalgia for physical keys, but that's not what the future wanted.

Now the screen is flush and it can be whatever the software tells it to be. The hardware is just a slab. That was revolutionary in 2007. This was before the App Store, which completely changed the game.

PC and Phone nerds can keep talking about tech specs and memory size and gigahertz, but who has a better UI and usability in the end? Apple does.

The only company that got close to what Apple has been doing for years is Huawei, who spent a lot of time tweaking their cameras. And even they were totally ripping off Apple, especially the "MateBook X" or whatever rip off design and name they had.

Last edited:

I was using a Palm Treo before the iPhone was released. The screen was nowhere near good enough to be used full time without a stylus.

I think Blackberries can still be found on Ebay...

On a side note, there's some really cool add ons coming for the new Mac Pro.

Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 5.18.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 5.18.03 PM.png

Someone's eventually going to copy these and we will have cheap knock offs :thumbup:

Thanks you totally have proved my point; not much serious innovative has come out of apple long before Jobs died. And your correct I did not own a Mac when that was all apple made that is because they were way way more expensive then my PC was and I was seriously poor. My first PC was a HP mother board I scavenged out of my friends garage with a 386DX chip, a power supply I bought at a computer junk yard for like $25 and a card board box, I think it had a Dimond MM video card, and some kind of onboard sound.

Just because you look good and everyone wants to look good like you does not make you innovative. it makes you Trendy! The same goes for smart phones becoming part of society they were on they're way already long before the iPhone. But no one knows if jobs really came up with the idea of the iPhone. I would guess some undergraduate from MIT brought Jobs the idea and he just signed off on it. In reality The iPhone was just an iPod photo with a Phone modem added not really innovative there... Google glasses were a failure before they even got released google hushed those under the rug as faster as Microsoft ditched windows 8.

But just the same here are two:

Face ID scanner is/was Innovative

Apple Watch is innovative - the new one more so than ever since it can detect heart attacks, I would say that it will be revolutionary and saving heart patients.
Scot,
I appreciate your passion! That is your opinion. Mac wasn't about looking good. The design initially was their operating system and that it was visual and easy to use That was the strength of apple. I good looking product if fine to, I can appreciate a fine visual design, but it has to work well and be intuitive too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back