Contribute
Register

Apple Unveils Redesigned Mac Pro Desktop and Pro Display XDR at WWDC

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was beautiful, but didn't sell well due to having a passive cooler and mighty pricey for what it was.

I had a blue G3 around that time and I loved that thing.

About that passive cooler it was known to heat up the memory slots and cause the DIMMS to pop out... I was still a PC user at that time but I worked at Earthlink so you would hear stuff about Macs all the time. We had like 200 Koolaid iMacs on the floor.

Depends on what you define your specific needs. Also, could we please drop this whole "pro/professional" term that Apple has infected us with? I've been working in the entertainment/post-production industry for the better part of a quarter of a century without ever even contemplating about needing a job outside of it. Compared to most of my peers I do pretty well financially, and yet the idea of spending as much on a new computer as a car makes me pretty nervous (a car will last me a good 8-10 years and perform exactly what I need it to do. A computer? I don't think so).

In 2006, going with Xeon CPU's made sense because there really wasn't anything comparable on the market if you wanted multi-core and dual CPU's. Nowadays, an i9 X-series can be had for less than $1000 and it supports 4-channel DDR4 RAM up to 128Gb and up to 44 PCI lanes which is plenty for the majority of high-end users.

Linus Tech Tips specced out an exact same system as the base Mac Pro and it added up to $3160

Is the fugly (sorry apologists...praise Apple for their laptop designs, iPhones, even the Mac mini is pretty sitting on a desk...but this thing is bigly fugly and you know it) cheese grater enclosure really worth almost $3k?!?

Lastly, does it strike anyone else as weirdly ironic that we're having this debate on this particular web site?

LTT is a huge nerd who lives for clickbait titles. Have you seen the sandals he wears? He is NOT the target audience for the Mac in general. Go to any metropolitan/hipster city, you will see Macs everywhere. Silicon Valley, Hollywood, all the same.

Apple was never ever about performance/value category, it's always been about luxury and ecosystem.

They used to do these demos with Macs and PCs in the early 2000s when they had a faster CPU, but those days are gone.

You guys need to move on, Apple is not going to cater to that category of people. We can complain all day long.

The people Hackintoshing were never going to buy Macs anyway, especially brand new. Maybe an iPhone, sure, but not an iMac Pro or a Mac Pro (maybe used ones, sure).

When they killed off FCP7, a lot of companies moved on to Avid and Premiere filled that low end gap. FCPX is NOT used anywhere important...very small scale compared to Avid and Premiere. The only thing lingering is Logic, designers/illustrators for Photoshop/Adobe suite, and post houses still on Macs.

Depends on what you define your specific needs. Also, could we please drop this whole "pro/professional" term that Apple has infected us with? I've been working in the entertainment/post-production industry for the better part of a quarter of a century without ever even contemplating about needing a job outside of it. Compared to most of my peers I do pretty well financially, and yet the idea of spending as much on a new computer as a car makes me pretty nervous (a car will last me a good 8-10 years and perform exactly what I need it to do. A computer? I don't think so).

In 2006, going with Xeon CPU's made sense because there really wasn't anything comparable on the market if you wanted multi-core and dual CPU's. Nowadays, an i9 X-series can be had for less than $1000 and it supports 4-channel DDR4 RAM up to 128Gb and up to 44 PCI lanes which is plenty for the majority of high-end users.

Linus Tech Tips specced out an exact same system as the base Mac Pro and it added up to $3160

Is the fugly (sorry apologists...praise Apple for their laptop designs, iPhones, even the Mac mini is pretty sitting on a desk...but this thing is bigly fugly and you know it) cheese grater enclosure really worth almost $3k?!?

Lastly, does it strike anyone else as weirdly ironic that we're having this debate on this particular web site?

I basically pay my car off and then get a new one, cars last me about as long as computers. I hope if you bought a $44,000 Mac Pro for your business that you worked it as a tax write off with deprecation maybe even lease it where in 5 years you get a brand new one.

I basically pay my car off and then get a new one, cars last me about as long as computers. I hope if you bought a $44,000 Mac Pro for your business that you worked it as a tax write off with deprecation maybe even lease it where in 5 years you get a brand new one.

Most corporations have 2-5 year leases on these equipments, so they'll be swapped easily.

It was beautiful, but didn't sell well due to having a passive cooler and mighty pricey for what it was.

I had a blue G3 around that time and I loved that thing.

View attachment 410970

Apple used to be cool.

View attachment 410971

Yeah. Value-wise, the Power Macs just made much more sense. I went through every one of those Power Mac G4s with the El Capitan cases. I loved them.

Most corporations have 2-5 year leases on these equipments, so they'll be swapped easily.

Yes but you do not have to be a big corporation to do this type of transaction. Not even sure you have to be a corporation. The smaller freelance person can as well just many of them do not know it is an option.

Yes but you do not have to be a big corporation to do this type of transaction. Not even sure you have to be a corporation. The smaller freelance person can as well just many of them do not know it is an option.

Yeah. Also Apple has a business account option, last time I checked. You get discounts with pro products. And also these are write offs anyway if you are doing it professionally.

And some states in USA allow some type of incentive like lower sales tax for professional products.

Yeah. Also Apple has a business account option, last time I checked. You get discounts with pro products. And also these are write offs anyway if you are doing it professionally.

And some states in USA allow some type of incentive like lower sales tax for professional products.

Yea not here in CA, however we do get up to 10k deduction on the Fed for sales tax paid in CA under the new tax policy. Pre Trump Tax changes it was unlimited sales tax deduction. I think that 10k includes interest and taxes paid on your home as well where as before it was unlimited. But I do not break that 10k mark at least not yet so it does not affect me.

The new pro display stand, $.99.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back