Contribute
Register

Apple Unveils Redesigned Mac Pro Desktop and Pro Display XDR at WWDC

Status
Not open for further replies.
D8SNL5GVUAUexJv.jpg

Nothing inspires confidence in clients more than duct taping a monitor to some scrap wood.

I was just thinking of making one of these. I'll inscribe in the wood, "Inspired by Jony Ive in California, Built in my Garage."

I think what people are missing in this "stand off" is the fact that if you can make more money with something that you buy because of it's utility, and good looks, it's a good investment. If you don't use the product to make more money and spend way too much to get it, yes, that's a poor investment of your hard earned cash. If you do nothing but edit video and show that to your clients who are paying you a lot of money, you want something on your desk that is easily adjustable. Also, think how long this could last, it will probably work just as well 15 years from now as it does today. Even if your XDR monitor were to fail 10 years from now, which it probably won't, you simply buy the latest version of it, connect your new monitor to the stand you've already got and you are good to go. Simple and elegant.

If Apple can make that monitor adjustment "effortless" then it's way better than any monitor I've ever used. Then again, I've never spent more than 200 dollars for any monitor. I'm not using one for Pro level editing that makes me money. So I don't pay pro level money to get one. If I ever were to buy the XDR I would go for the vesa mounted option anyway. That would be really nice.

Most of the internet loves to be critical of things it can’t obtain. If money were truly no object, you’d drive a fancy sports car that can do 200 MPH, even if you’re not a Nascar driver. You’d own a huge mansion, even if you only have one or two kids. And, you wouldn’t bat an eye at buying this computer, even if all you ever do is toy around with your 4K GoPro footage, or your 45-megapixel landscape photos from your recent trip to Patagonia.

Of course, if you’re a working pro in an industry where these types of computer specs are actually necessary, then you also invest in good quality computer equipment. If you’re working with 8K and/or 4K RAW/HDR video, (and getting paid good money to do it) then spending $10-20K on a computer system is likely a good long-term business investment. Well, hopefully, a good long-term investment.

As one poster previously mentioned, you can write this off as a business expense, calculate yearly depreciation etc. It's simply the way that the business world works.

Last edited:
Why drink champagne when a 40oz bottle of Olde English can get he job done?

Why use cufflinks when paper clips can work?

Why buy luggage when you can reuse the grocery bags?

Why buy shorts when you can just cut up dad's old jeans?

Why go to Tiffany for the wedding ring when you just got one from the Cracker Jack box?

Last edited:

Why go to Tiffany for the wedding ring when you just got one from the Cracker Jack box?

great, in your marketing/advertising make sure to let everyone know you use the authentic apple 1k stand; sure to attract lots of clients

apple proving "stand" up comedy is alive and well

As one poster previously mentioned, you can write this off as a business expense, calculate yearly depreciation etc. It's simply the way that the business world works.

This is one of my most favorite things about being self employed.

Could we all agree that there is a middle-ground somewhere between those extremes?

The base 8 core is 6k for a cheese grater with what 2k worth of parts. Plus no openCL, no nvidia many creatives that use graphics acceleration like 3d artist might have some unnecessary hurdles to work around. I look forward to building a similar spec machine thats 1/5 the price and 30% faster because of OCing capabilities.

Performance for the machine is not just a matter of CPU and sockets. At top spec this unit will edit 3 8k video streams or hundreds of audio tracks simultaneously. It wil host up to a terrabyte and a half of RAM. The things you're talking about are irrelevant to the specific market this machine is aimed at.. Ultra high End Final Cut Pro users. and whatever the equivalent thing is for music. You're not going to be able to duplicate this machine off the rack.

Perfectly stated! These Apple products are for people that wish to buy them. If the market didn't (or doesn't) exist neither will the product.

That includes the prices people are willing to pay for these. They are priced where people will buy them.

Apple used to make great quality polycarbonate cases back in the late 90s, fully expandable. Not sure why they make unnecessarily over the top cases for pro line. It will be another fail, even worse than the trash can Macs.

Apple used to make great quality polycarbonate cases back in the late 90s, fully expandable. Not sure why they make unnecessarily over the top cases for pro line. It will be another fail, even worse than the trash can Macs.
I think these will sell quite well to production houses in Hollywood, Pro music studios and of course, to all the post production crews working on the content for Apple TV that is produced in house. You know that everyone at Pixar has already signed on to get the monitors and the towers. As Apple sees it, it's a big win for them even if they don't make a nickel of profit. Part of the reason they made the Mac Pro/XDR display is to use them within their own company. They're not going to use tonymacx86 tools and 3rd party kexts to install Catalina on high end HP Xeon workstations. LOL.

Apple doesn't need to make any profit off of these as they sell more iPhones in one day than they will ever sell of these new Mac Pros in the next 5 years. The iPhone profit margins are much higher than those on their pro focused hardware like the MP and XDR monitor. As long as the iPhone keeps selling and people keep buying apps they'll stay a highly profitable company whether they sell only 1,500 or 150,000 Mac Pros. The reason they're more likely to sell above the latter number is that they have PCIe slots and are user upgradable without having to pay Apple Certified techs to make those upgrades. Glad they finally figured that this is what all former Mac Pro users wanted back.

Percentage of Global Revenue from iPhone
In 2018, Apple announced its highest annual revenue to date with 265.6 billion U.S. dollars generated in revenue. About 218 billion U.S. dollars of this was generated by sales of the iPhone, meaning that the smart device was responsible for an average of around 82 percent of the company’s total global revenue. Sales of the iPhone reached about 218 million units in 2017, a significant increase from the 150 million units that were sold in 2013 and the 40 million units sold in 2010. Apple remains one of the market leaders in the smartphone industry.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/216459/global-market-share-of-apple-iphone/

When you look at total Mac sales per quarter it's only about 4.5 million Macs. (Inludes all Macbook versions) So if they are selling roughly 18 million Macs a year (200 million fewer than iPhones) and less than 1% of those are Mac Pros, it's very insignificant whatever profits they might bring in or the losses they might incur.

This is why it really doesn't matter whether the new MP adds anything to Apple's bottom line or even loses money. They have no red ink in their balance sheets.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back