Contribute
Register

Apple Unveils Redesigned Mac Pro Desktop and Pro Display XDR at WWDC

Status
Not open for further replies.
But I think it should really have been included or cost $299 tops.
Simply including it in the 6,000 dollar pricetag would have been the best approach. We've never seen any consumer monitor with specs or technology such as this. When they present it at an event that is also for iPads, Apple watches etc. there are going to be many people who would never even consider buying a Pro monitor for home use. They have no reference point for what something like this should cost. Maybe they shouldn't have even mentioned the monitor price at all.

From a company with over 230 billion dollars in cash in the bank they could at least include the stand without hurting the bottom line. The 1,000 dollar monitor stand boondoggle has done much more damage to their reputation than anything financial. It makes them look like they are motivated by greed, which is the way many people already look at Apple. With all their billions in revenue as a corporation they get out of paying taxes on most of it. The average person earning their wages in the US works three months of the year just to pay their federal and state taxes.

Last edited:
For Apple the iMac Pro and the Mac Pro are both products that serve two different targeted market segments. In the Pro world you have to pay a high price for stuff. This stand isn't just a chunk of steel and plastic and the only folk getting triggered about the price are non pro users who buy consumer grade hardware. $1000 will buy a pretty decent consumer level monitor, but in the Pro world those are just not anywhere near good enough.

The Mac Pro isn't aimed at a consumer level of the market, it compares favourably in spec and price to the HP listed earlier in the thread and it has the styling and build quality that users like. It also has the Apple name and branding which in some circles may or may not count for anything.

If you think about it there are plenty of good consumer grade graphics cards on the market, but in the Pro segment Nvidia offer high level product in the Quadro range with Pro level driver support. These cards are often many thousands of dollars. AMD have there own cards and AMD Radeon Pro range is much the same and AMD seem to be doing particularly well in Server applications. Business pays a lot of money to get service, quality and reliability, but they also like value and they want something that works without giving them problems.

I think that Apple have created an interesting product, how easy it will be to get and apply Apple Mac Pro parts is going to be interesting. How will third party manufactures respond and what products will we see come to market are all interesting points that will only come to light in the fullness of time. Can we implement Afterburner and other accessories (will we even be able to buy them either online or in-store?)

At present we have an ongoing opportunity to use similar CPUs with Apple/macOS support - these CPUs are not for everyone as the cost is higher and benefit against less expensive consumer versions is going to be impossible to justify for 99% of us, but looking at the future some of today's new Mac pro models will find their way into a lot of enthusiasts homes in a few years time. If Apple can keep this product reasonably up to date then I hope it is successful for them. Apples success with Pro/Prosumer and higher end consumer computers is good for everyone that enjoys macOS regardless of the actual Apple products that you personally own.

At present we have an ongoing opportunity to use similar CPUs with Apple/macOS support - these CPUs are not for everyone as the cost is higher and benefit against less expensive consumer versions is going to be impossible to justify for 99% of us.
Dave Lee gives the most balanced review of why the 2019 MP costs what it does.

NOTE: He does show the wrong price for the 8 core Xeon in the new MP.
Dave shows the price for the Skylake version while the Cascade Lake W-3225 model used is only $1200 retail. I think that the lower Intel Xeon prices this year are due to the "Threadripper effect." AMD is offering more cores per CPU at a much lower price than Intel right now. I would guess that Apple buys these CPUs from Intel in bulk quantities for about 700 to 800 USD each. Most of the cost of this base MP is is the AL tower itself, the 1.4 kW PSU and the huge server grade motherboard. The ram and storage and 580X graphics are really the smallest proportion of the cost of building the base model.

Last edited:
Apple gave the pros more than what they asked for. Professionals/studios/companies that need this level of power for work will buy them.

What Apple did not give us is a prosumer level mini tower that people have been asking for since the MacPro1,1 was released. Those are probably the same people complaining now. It should be clear by now that Apple will never release such a system and no amount of complaining is going to change that.

Those who are complaining about the price of the monitor obviously don't understand what it is and who it's for. For those users, there are millions of monitor choices out there for them.

Yes, the monitor stand is $1000, but it's an optional purchase. Don't like it? Don't buy it. Get the VESA mount and use any stand you like. Heck, prop it up against a milk crate if you like. I think Apple did this to keep the cost of the monitor at $5000 instead of $6000 and I feel it benefits all those who won't be using the stand anyway.

Those who are complaining about the price of the monitor obviously don't understand what it is and who it's for. For those users, there are millions of monitor choices out there for them.
There are many YT channel creators that rant and rave about the cost of this to get views for their videos. The majority of them could never afford one of these $12,000 base systems anyway. It's just a bunch of noise that Apple completely ignores. I predict that LTT channel will buy one and try to make it overheat just to get a few million views to make some ad revenue.

Yes, the monitor stand is $1000, but it's an optional purchase. Don't like it? Don't buy it. Get the VESA mount and use any stand you like. Heck, prop it up against a milk crate if you like. I think Apple did this to keep the cost of the monitor at $5000 instead of $6000 and I feel it benefits all those who won't be using the stand anyway.

When specs are taken into consideration, the monitor is actually reasonably priced. It's a stunning feat of engineering. Unfortunately, I cannot fathom why the stand is $999. I'm sure plenty of thought went into the design to make the monitor feel weightless, but the price does feel excessive even by Apple's standards. I feel they should have bundled an iMac-like basic stand for those who simply want the complete package.

When specs are taken into consideration, the monitor is actually reasonably priced. It's a stunning feat of engineering. Unfortunately, I cannot fathom why the stand is $999. I'm sure plenty of thought went into the design to make the monitor feel weightless, but the price does feel excessive even by Apple's standards. I feel they should have bundled an iMac-like basic stand for those who simply want the complete package.

I agree. It's expensive. If I were buying that monitor, I probably wouldn't opt for the stand either.

I just don't see the need for the incessant nag-like complaining that's going on.

But I don't see a pay to power the drives? Unless it's that strange connector near the sata ports. Does anyone recognize it? Also, is that a USB type A? Wonder what that's for, it doesn't seem like apple at all...

They put a USB type A port on the inside of the mac pro so users can place software dongles on the inside of the case. That way everyone doesn't have to look at them all the time or take up external USB A ports. I learned that from Doug Brooks via the Mac Power Users podcast about the Mac Pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back