Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
mp.png
After years of development, this week Apple finally revealed their redesigned Mac Pro desktop computer and brand new 6K Pro Display XDR retina monitor. Touted as the most powerful, expandable, and configurable Mac ever, the system features up to 28-core Intel CPU, up to 1.5TB RAM via 12 DIMM slots, and expands via proprietary 'MPX' expandable modules with 8 PCIe slots.

Graphics options include the AMD Radeon Pro 580X on the low end side, and configurable to up to 2 AMD Radeon Vega II cards. Storage starts at 256GB configurable up to 4TB.
Apple_mac_pro_new_display_final_cut_screen_060319.jpg
The new Mac Pro starts at $5,999.00, the Pro Display XDR starts at $4,999.00. The Pro Stand for the monitor costs $999.00, and VESA Display adapter is $199.00. For a single computer and display, this means the lowest cost for the two devices will be $12,196.00. All products will be available for order in the fall.

What do you think of the new Mac Pro and display?

Related:
Name the Next macOS (10.15)
Apple Reveals macOS 10.15 Catalina- Available Fall 2019
Apple.com: Mac Pro
Apple.com: Pro Display XDR

Last edited:
The base 8 core is 6k for a cheese grater with what 2k worth of parts. Plus no openCL, no nvidia many creatives that use graphics acceleration like 3d artist might have some unnecessary hurdles to work around. I look forward to building a similar spec machine thats 1/5 the price and 30% faster because of OCing capabilities.

The base 8 core is 6k for a cheese grater with what 2k worth of parts. Plus no openCL, no nvidia many creatives that use graphics acceleration like 3d artist might have some unnecessary hurdles to work around. I look forward to building a similar spec machine thats 1/5 the price and 30% faster because of OCing capabilities.
I can’t find the MSRP for the 8-core(Xeon W-3223), but the 28-core part alone is about $4500 according to intel MSRP(Xeon W-3275).
Boutique builders like Boxx, Dell, HP, etc are going to be just as much as Apple.
Example: Boxx “Apexx W4L” uses the same chipset and Xeon SKUs as the new Mac Pro - I couldn’t get it down to 32GB 2666mhz, but the price differential between 48GB 2933 and 32GB 2666 is at most $200, judging by Crucial’s website. Likewise Boxx doesn’t use consumer cards (Radeon 580), so I put in slower WX4100 (similar price), and it still built-out over $7000. I haven’t found any Dell Workstations with this Xeon SKU yet.

nVidia omission is not surprising. Maybe someday these 2 will play nice again. As for the dependence of CUDA, that depends on the workflow and software suite. The keynote implied that Apple is aggressively finding creative software partners to take advantage of the higher end graphics cards.

Last edited:
From www.theverge.com

No one seems to figure in just how much it costs to make the custom machined Aloominium case as Jony Ive calls it.
I'd estimate that case alone costs close to 2,000 USD. It looks like the only "parts" you'll be able to upgrade yourself are the CPU and ram. In every YT review I've seen, they all say "Expensive" more than a few times. trs96

Here’s how it all breaks down for the maxed out Mac Pro.

One (1) Mac Pro: $6,000

We start with the base Mac Pro itself, which we know Apple is selling starting at $6,000 for the base model. Because you can’t just buy an enclosure on its own, this price also includes things like the motherboard, power supply, heat sink, cooling system, and chassis (the optional wheels may cost extra). It’ll probably also come with a CPU, a GPU, and some RAM, but we’ll be replacing those shortly anyhow.

Twelve (12) 128GB DDR4 ECC RAM sticks: $17,867.88

The easiest thing on our shopping list is RAM. The new Mac Pro has 12 user-accessible DIMM slots that take DDR4 ECC memory. For the maximum of 1.5TB of RAM, we need 12 128GB sticks of RAM; at roughly $1,388.99 each, that rings up to a whopping $17,867.88 for memory. But just imagine: with $18K of RAM, you might even be able to keep three whole Chrome tabs open at once!

Two (2) 2TB SSDs: $2,400

This one’s easy: Apple charges $2,400 to upgrade its iMac Pro to 4TB of storage, so we can extrapolate that it’ll probably charge the same to upgrade the Mac Pro to the same. It’s not clear whether this storage is user upgradable or not (especially considering that it’s encrypted by Apple’s T2 chip, which implies some hardware level integration on Apple’s end), so we’ll take Apple’s far pricier number as the minimum here for now.

One (1) 2.5GHz 28-core Intel Xeon W processor: approximately $7,453

Next up: we need the best CPU we can get: in this case, a 2.5GHz, 28-core Intel Xeon W processor that can Turbo Boost up to 4.4GHz, with a 66.5MB cache and support for up to 2TB 2933MHz memory. Now, Apple doesn’t specify what 28-core Xeon processor it’ll be shipping with the Mac Pro, but looking at Intel’s product database, the closest option out there is the Intel Xeon W-3275M, which the company lists a recommended customer price for of $7,453, which we’ll assume to be the bare minimum here. Now Apple’s processor probably isn’t the W-3275M (Apple lists a much higher cache size, to start), but the rest of the specs are pretty close.

Two (2) AMD Radeon Pro Vega II GPUs: Price unknown, but let’s say $12,000, minimum

Here’s the tricky bit. AMD announced its Radeon Pro Vega II GPUs alongside the Mac Pro, which means we’ve got no idea how much it’ll cost to buy them. We also don’t know if you’ll even be able to buy them separately at all; depending on how Apple’s MDX Module system works, that might not be an option.

Apple will sell you up to four Vega GPUs in total: Two Vega II Duo cards, each with two GPUs, linked together with Apple’s Infinity Fabric Link across two of Apple’s MDX Modules. Whatever the grand total is there, it won’t come cheap.

Assuming AMD prices the Vega II similarly to Nvidia’s professional grade Quadro RTX offerings, though — the Quadro RTX 6000, for instance, cost $6,300 new with only a little more raw compute than Apple’s promising here — we’ll say Apple’s solution will cost at least $12,000 for the whole quad-GPU package. Add the MDX Modules and Apple’s markup, though, and we wouldn’t be totally surprised if it was double that.

One (1) Apple Afterburner accelerator card: price unknown

Technically this is an optional accessory, but it comes from Apple so I’m including it here. No idea how much it’ll cost, though.

One (1) Apple Pro Display XDR monitor: $5,000

Apple announced the Pro Display XDR monitor alongside the new Mac Pro. Sure, you could use a cheaper (and lesser display), but the Pro Display XDR was designed specifically to pair with the Mac Pro, so you’ll probably want to pick one up. Or six. It supports six.

One (1) Apple Pro Stand for the Pro Display XDR monitor: $1,000

Stand sold separately.

One (1) Apple Magic Keyboard and one (1) Magic Trackpad 2: $228

You probably should buy a mouse and keyboard, too. EDIT: These are included in the $6,000 base price.

Total cost: Somewhere around $50,000 to $60,000 for a maxed out Mac Pro 2019.
You asked for a Pro machine and you got it. Along with astronomical prices.

Last edited:
From www.theverge.com

I'd estimate that case alone costs close to 2,000 USD. It looks like the only "parts" you'll be able to upgrade yourself are the CPU and ram.
The video cards should still be upgradable. Excluding the proprietary MPX Module, the other half of those lanes are still PCIe; if they are MPX slots only, you still have x16 PCIe slots. Though that limits it to 75w power cards, however the Mac Pro does have (possibly proprietary) 75watt 6-pin connector, and 2x 150 watt 8-pin connectors on the board; means it should work with any Vega or whatever you throw in it(non-Apple versions); But who knows until people get their hands on it. Biggest issue may be the thunderbolt connectivity as an "expectation" for the video cards.
(second 150w 8-pin hidden under MPX module)

It's implied that storage is also user-serviceable but likely proprietary. It resembles mSATA, but mSATA is too slow for the specs Apple lists(2.7GB/s).

Last edited:
however the Mac Pro does have (possibly) proprietary 75watt 6-pin connector, and 2x 150 watt 8-pin connectors on the board
Apple and proprietary are two words that you'll likely see together a lot more as we head into the 2020s.

Apple and propriety have always been a thing.
Just me speculating on the connectors - since the images released so far are not great visual indicators if it's just a simple socket, or if it's proprietary. Out of all possible "proprietary" elements revealed so far, electrical/power cabling is the least concerning. Storage will be the tougher one.

You probably should buy a mouse and keyboard, too. Apple currently sells these separately on the existing Mac Pro, so I doubt they’ll start giving them away for free now.
Screen Shot 2019-06-04 at 7.02.32 PM.png

Apple is including a Magic Keyboard and a Magic Mouse 2 with the Mac Pro.

Apple is including a Magic Keyboard and a Magic Mouse 2 with the Mac Pro.
You probably should buy a mouse and keyboard, too. Apple currently sells these separately on the existing Mac Pro
That was a quote from theverge.com author of that article, not me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back