Contribute
Register

Apple Unveils Redesigned Mac Pro Desktop and Pro Display XDR at WWDC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Apple is blockading anything. If they were, Nvidia should sue Apple for everything they are worth and complain to DOJ and FTC for anti-competitive behavior.

In light of the recent calls by politicians to break up Apple, there's no way Apple would risk this especially when they stand to gain nothing from it. It's not like Apple sells video cards. What would they care?

I think Apple is just not signing the drivers for NVIDIA. I don't think that counts as anti-competitive behavior because macOS is a closed system and the Mac and it's OS doesn't have the market share to even be considered as a monopoly. What's Macs user base, like 11%?

Knowing Apple, they have lawyers lined up around the block and will easily be protected.

I really still think the new DriverKit and sandboxed users in Catalina will allow these drivers to load in user space....

I think Apple is just not signing the drivers for NVIDIA. I don't think that counts as anti-competitive behavior because macOS is a closed system and the Mac and it's OS doesn't have the market share to even be considered as a monopoly. What's Macs user base, like 11%?

Knowing Apple, they have lawyers lined up around the block and will easily be protected.

I really still think the new DriverKit and sandboxed users in Catalina will allow these drivers to load in user space....

Hypothetically speaking... If Apple is not signing the drivers and if Nvidia cared about their customers, Nvidia would release unsigned drivers.

Hypothetically speaking... If Apple is not signing the drivers and if Nvidia cared about their customers, Nvidia would release unsigned drivers.

You may be right.

Previously Jensen (CEO of NVIDIA) had said in another email something along the lines of "This is hard to do without Apple being involved..." maybe they just don't want to jump over Apple and be in their good graces so they use NVIDIA in the future? But I don't think any of us know the exact issue here it seems like a broken story last 5 years with Apple and NVIDIA.

Anyway, I'm glad I'm not using NVIDIA, CUDA drivers and their WebDrivers were always buggy for me anyway to do actual work and tired of waiting driver releases on every update. Now I just do OS updates and no issues whatsoever like a real Mac.

Last edited:
I don't know which undergraduate is responsible for the iPhone but from the stories I read, it was Steve Jobs' unrelenting pressure on the iPhone team that pushed them to create such a fantastic product. There's no doubt to me that what Tim Cook constantly repeats now about creating "insanely great products" was drilled in to him by Jobs. When I look at my iPhone, all I see and feel is quality.

The product development culture at Apple is remarkable. These team are able to do a better job, most of the time, with smaller teams - even when they need to solve some very difficult problems.

For comprehending this, and some good insight into the best of Silicon Valley engineering and design culture, check out Ken Kocienda's book, Creative Selection. It's a fantastic read and full off great details, including a lot about the iPhone. (Kocienda was the "Directly Responsible Individual" who did the on-screen keyboard on the iPhone.)

As I type this, I realize there is another wonderful book I should recommend: Creativity, Inc., by Ed Catmull of Pixar.

Both books contain some cameos by Steve Jobs, and although these are not books about Jobs, one can learn a lot about him from these books.

The Mac Pro 2019 with the most expensive processor will be weaker than iMac Pro.
It's much too limiting to just look at Geekbench scores. With an extra 10 cores and 20 threads, it won't be weaker when you are encoding and decoding video. Renders will be greatly sped up. The new Mac Pro definitely has a a better cooling system so that you can push the 28 core Xeon much harder for longer periods of time. You would certainly need to consider running many more tests related to work with video and audio files than just Geekbench to come to that conclusion.

Last edited:
I can already predict were this is going. Apple wants to move further into Pro markets where only people with bottomless bank accounts can afford to buy their gear, like Hollywood, and the recording industry, NASA, and then sell the "Toys", the iPad, the iPhones with iPadOS to make it "Feel" like a MacOS experience, (albeit with it's balls cut off). The Macbook with Intel will be phased out, just like the PowerPC to Intel. This will also be the last generation of Intel, as it is likely that the dropping of NVIDIA was stipulated in a deal with AMD, and that there will be some kind of merger with the Ryzen tech, or Apple teaming up to meet production on future models featuring Apples own CPU/GPU, or a non-Intel hybrid. The only good thing, is AMD stock is still pretty cheap, maybe a good time to buy lot's of stock, because Apple is not the performer it once was back when they had DRIP built in, when you could count on making a mint. (A relatively paltry $8000 investment that I had planned to put into Apple years ago, would have made me so rich, I could buy a New Mac Pro now, fully loaded, without blinking. I am poor now, therefore, I DIY...) Those heady days are gone, and just like we've lost the Middle Class in our country, we will probably be seeing the Middle road disappear at Apple, and the hobbyist relics like us clinging to outdated versions of the Mac, either out of nostalgia, or necessity, because Apple will find a way to close down the hackers eventually, instead of what they should do, is release a 'third' software bridge, to the DIY Hackintosh builders and coders who have already done most of the work for Apple for FREE! For those about to DIY... I salute you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back