Contribute
Register

Apple Unveils Redesigned Mac Pro Desktop and Pro Display XDR at WWDC

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new Mac Pro is not competing against just machines with Intel motherboards.

I guess you have not been complaining about the lack of Nvidia support since Mojave either.

People like you just accept anything offered without complain.

The new Mac Pro isn't competing against anything. The only people who will buy one will be people who want one and they don't really care that they spend $1000 just for the monitor stand. I will own one someday. Likely when they are old and used like my current mac pro. Then again, I thought I would own a trashcan mac but never did.

sorry to interrupt but not all CPU are 16 lanes only, i have a i9 and is 44 lanes through the CPU, the chipset has some lanes but they are useless, i have 2 highpoint SSD7102 with 4 samsung 970 pro in each card for a total of 8 m.2 drives, the speed is insane, constant reading and writing without dropping or slowing down, yes AMD has 64 lanes but i don’t like AMD even if it offers more lanes than intel, also for hackintosh intel is better, i do run my video card at 8x for a total of 40 lanes off the CPU, i benchmark my card at 16x vs 8x and there is almost no difference in frame rate, just a single frame difference, the video card doesn’t saturate the pci-e port or bus but the 16x m.2 card losses half of their speed if you change from 16x to 8x that’s why i run my video card at 8x because i technically don’t loose anything, the 16x m.2 card goes up to almost 12,000 at 16x and at 6,000 at 8x so i have to run the video card at 8x so i don’t loose the speed on the m.2 drives by running one of the cards at 8x, the point is that my i9 cpu has 44 lanes not just 16x

I lost my reason for owning an i9-7980xe but I just can't part with it. I really should let it go while I can get most of my money back but it just does everything to perfection.

i think i know what the problem is, i remember one time i wrote about this some where else, many people are disappointed because of the price of the new mac pro, is not that the mac pro is not worth that amount of money, is simply that apple didn’t offer something like in between, to make it more affordable for the ones that simply want something good but don’t want to spend the money they saved to buy a car in a mac pro,

sorry i don’t want to hurt no one feelings but that design is plain ugly, while some people don’t care about looks there are others that do care specially at that price, here is the deal, i think apple screw up big time, yes once again, i think the base model is way over price for the specs but anyway

apple should it have made a regular mac, besides the pro, with a better price, just the same way they have a regular non pro ipad and ipads pro, why they can’t make a non pro mac and have 2 macs, one pro for the rich and the other one less expensive non pro for the rest of the world but apple doesn’t do that because apple wants to make money, that is what apple is all about under mr cook, then they use the excuse that they build a good pro system for pro users but only rich people can buy a mac pro or simply sell your car to buy the mac pro

a 4k display for the non pro mac was more than enough and that will reduce the price but apple doesn’t want to build something affordable, apple wanted to build something expensive

put 6 monitors and fill up all the ram slots and that mac pro will go over 80,000 easily

with that you can buy a house in some countries

Last edited:
I lost my reason for owning an i9-7980xe but I just can't part with it. I really should let it go while I can get most of my money back but it just does everything to perfection.
i have the 7960x and i know exactly what you mean but then i will have to sell my board also change the ram, really not worth the hassle and if we get to sell it at a good price what we are going to get instead, a AMD CPU? an intel 9900k that has higher single core but less multicore, after thinking about it is better to keep the CPU, i waited for the 9960x but i got tired of waiting and i bought the 7960x then a month later the 9960x was available online

is not that much difference anyway
i’m very happy with the CPU

Ordinary X299 chipset motherboards have 44 lanes on non-Xeon CPUs. NVME needs 4x anyway.
lol Ordinary x299 is not ordinary it is designed for performance for high end gaming, the chip is not any cheaper then the xeon so once again your complaining just because you are a complainer... And only the top I9 chip features those 44 lanes. Xeon provides the lanes top to bottom so if you have 8 core or 28 core you have the lanes.

P.S. the new cascade lake has 64 lanes BTW

Also x299 I9 only does 4ch memory, the Xeon does 6ch...

x299 has xeon support

lol Ordinary x299 is not ordinary it is designed for performance for high end gaming, the chip is not any cheaper then the xeon so once again your complaining just because you are a complainer... And only the top I9 chip features those 44 lanes. Xeon provides the lanes top to bottom so if you have 8 core or 28 core you have the lanes.

P.S. the new cascade lake has 64 lanes BTW

Also x299 I9 only does 4ch memory, the Xeon does 6ch...
thanks to your comment about cascade lake i found out about cascade lake x, i have an i9 socket 2066 after the 7960x intel released ballsin falls refresh 9000 series not really a big change, but i think the next gen will be a real update, i know intel recently had an event but they didn’t announce anything about lga 2066 or x299

x299 has xeon support

the LGA 2066 supports the chip yes but does the x299 chipset actually support the processor?

thanks to your comment about cascade lake i found out about cascade lake x, i have an i9 socket 2066 after the 7960x intel released ballsin falls refresh 9000 series not really a big change, but i think the next gen will be a real update, i know intel recently had an event but they didn’t announce anything about lga 2066 or x299

Maybe because they have decided there is not a big enough market for High end gaming computers and that the I9 z390 chip is sufficient for that and possibly discontinuing the "X" branded chips.

i think i know what the problem is, i remember one time i wrote about this some where else, many people are disappointed because of the price of the new mac pro, is not that the mac pro is not worth that amount of money, is simply that apple didn’t offer something like in between, to make it more affordable for the ones that simply want something good but don’t want to spend the money they saved to buy a car in a mac pro,

Apple were never going to be able to deliver a Mac Pro for iMac Pro money - neither will HP, Dell (Alienware) or any of the other system builders. At $4000 you are firmly in X299 system territory for a Windows PC. The lower base model Mac Pros have never been the best bang for buck models to buy. It was always worth spending a little (or a lot) extra to get a better spec machine. Apple likely felt that they needed position the new Mac Pro using significantly above the old Trash can models due to the big performance difference.

sorry i don’t want to hurt no one feelings but that design is plain ugly, while some people don’t care about looks there are others that do care specially at that price, here is the deal, i think apple screw up big time, yes once again, i think the base model is way over price for the specs but anyway

I like it a lot - love that they went with the cheese grater design and absolutely love the wheels! I also think that it fits in well with the rest of the Apple desktop range.

apple should it have made just a regular mac, it doesn’t have to be pro, with a better price, just the same way they have a regular non pro ipad and ipads pro, why they can’t make a non pro mac abd have 2 macs, one pro and the other one less expensive non pro, because apple wants to make money, that is what apple is all about under mr cook, then they use the excuse that they build a good pro system for pro users but only rich people can buy a mac pro or simply sell your car to buy the mac pro

They didn't want to make a X299 system in a box, which many hackintosh users may have liked. They do offer a very comprehensive range of iMacs though. Most computer users these days don't want to build their own computers and they do like the sleek design of the iMac rather than a box, monitor and connecting cables approach.

a 4k display for the non pro mac was more than enough and that will reduce the price but apple doesn’t want to build something affordable, apple wanted to build something expensive

Non Pro iMac have lower resolution screens from memory. The purpose of the Mac Pro was to confront Pro users that needed a real Pro level machine and too fulfil their needs with a range of machines that were able to take on the tasks required by them. The criticism over the Trash can Mac Pro brought us to the new Mac Pro.

For those that would like a Pro level or Prosumer level monitor there are companies already meeting these market demands.

put 6 monitors and fill up all the ram slots and that mac pro will go over 80,000 easily

with that you can buy a house in some countries

Heck Yeah and then some - but with 32", 6K monitors, how many screens will power users actually use? If there is a market then someone will buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back