Graphics
GeForce GTX 760
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Has anyone done this here? I know people have done it before, but just wondering if anyone has personal experience doing so. I really like the idea of a small box like that to utilize as a media center, but I know out the box ATV doesn't support hulu, nor a lot of the things I wanted to use it for. XBMC looks like a great solution for everything I want. If anyone can give insight on this it would be great.

The big question is which version of ATV you have. If you have a new ATV3 then you'll need to remain patient for a little while as successful jailbreaks are only at the development phase. For earlier models, jailbreaks such as Seas0nPass allow the installation of 3rd party software such as XBMC. My personal preference is PLEX which is similar. The ATV interface for PLEX is well integrated, current versions are stable and it shares the same NAS folders as I use for iTunes. The big advantage with PLEX (vs. iTunes) is that I don't need a computer running iTunes to be switched on to allow access to the files on my NAS. For me this was the main advantage. Additionally PLEX offer an iPhone/iPad App that you can control your ATV(s) from your phone. The main protagonists on ready-baked solutions appear to be firecore - give'em a google.

I've got an ATV 1st Gen and I'm running Crystalbuntu on there with XBMC. It runs like a dream.

I'm running the last xbmc build on my ATV2. I can't say it runs great though. It pretty much lacks performances.
I'm streaming from a HP N40L microserver with Windows Home Server 2011 over cabled gigabit lan. No lags on streaming, but if you stop a movie and open another, and you do it few times, it crashes. Many times you just wait and it goes back to the home menu. Some times it self reboots and you have to start XBMC again. Some other times you have to unplug the power and plug it back.

The date is always messed up; you can fix it only using SSH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back