Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
z490
CPU
intel i5-10600k
Graphics
Nvidia Geforce RTX 2060
Hello,

I'm trying to seek some guidance on trying to get an Apple Thunderbolt Display to work with my PC. I have the monitor connected through an Apple TB2 to TB3 adapter -> Thunderbolt Card -> mini displayport to displayport -> graphics card

Motherboard: MSI Z490 UNIFY, has the thunderbolt header
CPU: Intel i5-10600k
GPU: Nvidia Geforce RTX 2060
Thunderbolt I/O Card: Gigabyte Alpine Ridge rev1

I followed the instructions by user forgriffindor, https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/thunderbolt-display-with-windows.266432/

However, he mentions setting PCIe to legacy, which in my motherboard BIOS settings, I'm not sure how to do this or if I have this option. I've included screenshots of the BIOS settings for thunderbolt if someone can decipher them. There is little information on what does what. I've tried different settings with no luck as well. BIOS firmware is the latest from MSI. The card is installed on the last PCIe slot, BIOS shows it connected.

Some info on the drivers, software, I have included screenshots as well. The system manager shows the controller, not sure if this is acknowledgement of the card working or not. The software shows the available ports, but nothing from the display.

Thunderbolt Software version: 16.2.52.250
NVM Firmware version: 20

Attachments

• Thunderbolt.jpg
    Thunderbolt.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 232
  • Thunderbolt2.jpg
    Thunderbolt2.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 209
  • unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 311
  • unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 195
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 225
  • unnamed (3).jpg
    unnamed (3).jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
i have same problem (apple display a1407) Msi today replied that it necessarily takes thunderboltM3 for MSI motherboards :(

I tried a MSI thunderbotM3, couldn't get it to recognize the monitor.

today I take down the z490 ace that I have had for a week and I return it for lack of technical support.
Is it possible that there is no solution to use this Apple 27 "2011 display with a Z490 of any brand? I just need to switch it on from bios to windows, nothing else...
I just have to try asrock, then I tried everything
perhaps the only solution is to buy a thunderbolt powered dockinstation

Last edited:
i bought today GC-Alpine Ridge v2.0 ... the list of compatible motherboards does not mention z490 can i use it on a gigabyte z490 has a TB header and finally use an apple A1407 display?

Hello,

I'm trying to seek some guidance on trying to get an Apple Thunderbolt Display to work with my PC. I have the monitor connected through an Apple TB2 to TB3 adapter -> Thunderbolt Card -> mini displayport to displayport -> graphics card

Motherboard: MSI Z490 UNIFY, has the thunderbolt header
CPU: Intel i5-10600k
GPU: Nvidia Geforce RTX 2060
Thunderbolt I/O Card: Gigabyte Alpine Ridge rev1

I followed the instructions by user forgriffindor, https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/thunderbolt-display-with-windows.266432/

However, he mentions setting PCIe to legacy, which in my motherboard BIOS settings, I'm not sure how to do this or if I have this option. I've included screenshots of the BIOS settings for thunderbolt if someone can decipher them. There is little information on what does what. I've tried different settings with no luck as well. BIOS firmware is the latest from MSI. The card is installed on the last PCIe slot, BIOS shows it connected.

Some info on the drivers, software, I have included screenshots as well. The system manager shows the controller, not sure if this is acknowledgement of the card working or not. The software shows the available ports, but nothing from the display.

Thunderbolt Software version: 16.2.52.250
NVM Firmware version: 20
I tried with asus tunderboltex 3 and z490 ace msi the display worked when I deactivated the windows 10 support function from the bios, but only for a few hours then I didn't understand if it was an incompatibility problem ... (for me not the ' ever detected in the slot, maybe the tbex3 card was faulty)

i bought today GC-Alpine Ridge v2.0 ... the list of compatible motherboards does not mention z490 can i use it on a gigabyte z490 has a TB header and finally use an apple A1407 display?
Did you success with Alpine Ridge & z490? I'm looking for a buying advice here, considering some gigabyte z490 mb(pro or master) with tb header and the extension card. Just to keep using my Apple Thunderbolt Display(win+mac).
Like you I'm not sure about z490 and Alpine Ridge compatibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back