Contribute
Register

Apple Thunderbolt Display + Hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for me, with my configiration Apple Thunderbolt display works without any windowses!!!
I have not installed any windows since connecting Thunderbolt Display!

(But any ports, sound etc is not working on display, even camera)
Any chance you could share your BIOS settings for the Thunderbolt card? I'm sort of struggling right now - I **know** this should work, but I'm not getting my TB display to "wake up"...

Build:
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi
Intel i9-9900K Processor
Samsung 970 PRO NVMe M.2 – 512GB
G.Skill Trident Z Neo – 32GB (2x16)
Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580
Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge Thunderbolt 3 AIC

I have both DP > miniDP cables connected to both DP ports on the RX580 and to both the miniDP IN ports on the Titan Ridge card. I've "activated" my TB3 card in Windows, and have a variety of TB3 devices that work in Windows (Nekteck TB3 docking station, Apple TB3 > USB3, Apple TB2 (f) > TB3 (m) adapter, Akitio TB2 (f) > TB3 (m), Seagate GoFlex TB1 drive via Apple & Akitio TB adapters).

When I plug in the TB Display using either of the 2 TB2 > TB3 adapters, nothing happens in macOS (Mojave). So I went back to Windows because I read a post from someone suggesting that I need to first connect the TB display in Windows, so I can "authorize" the connection to the Apple dispaly. The TB hardware ID of the TB Display is then supposedly saved in NVME of the Titan Ridge Card, and theoretically should now work in macOS. But I can't even get the TB display to work in Windows.

To confirm, I have a 2019 MBP 16", and have connected this display successfully using both TB adapters I have, so I know the display works. I'm open to any suggestions from those of you who are getting your Apple TB Display working with either Alpine Ridge or Titan Ridge cards. TIA!!
--B

I'm open to any suggestions from those of you who are getting your Apple TB Display working with either Alpine Ridge or Titan Ridge cards. TIA!!
I think it only works with Alpine Ridge. Do you have the latest firmware for GC-TITAN RIDGE (there's a an update from October but I haven't tried it - I heard it might make GC-TITAN RIDGE not work in macOS using the warm boot from Windows method).

Have you tried connecting the Thunderbolt Display to a Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt device that is connected to your Titan Ridge Thunderbolt port? I don't recall if this method has worked for anyone.

I think it only works with Alpine Ridge. Do you have the latest firmware for GC-TITAN RIDGE (there's a an update from October but I haven't tried it - I heard it might make GC-TITAN RIDGE not work in macOS using the warm boot from Windows method).
I actually downloaded the Titan Ridge driver/TB utility installer from the Gigabyte Website (vs. using the in-box CD). But I didn't think to check the firmware. I see that October FW update, so I'll try that this afternoon.

Have you tried connecting the Thunderbolt Display to a Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt device that is connected to your Titan Ridge Thunderbolt port? I don't recall if this method has worked for anyone.
I actually have the Alpine Ridge card in my Z370 build. That was actually going to be my next step today - put my Z370's Win10 SSD back in the machine & see if it would work on that build.If the Alpine Ridge card works (but the Titan Ridge card does not), I may still be able to return the TR card and get AR for this Z390 build. I'll keep you posted!! THANKS!!
--B

I actually have the Alpine Ridge card in my Z370 build. That was actually going to be my next step today - put my Z370's Win10 SSD back in the machine & see if it would work on that build.If the Alpine Ridge card works (but the Titan Ridge card does not), I may still be able to return the TR card and get AR for this Z390 build. I'll keep you posted!! THANKS!!
--B
UPDATE: That was the secret sauce - the Alpine Ridge card worked like a champ... I first connected the TB Display in Windows 10, and within a few seconds, I saw my Windows desktop. Rebooted in macOS (Mojave) and immediately saw the Clover boot screen on the TB display.

Now my problem seems to be getting the TB display to "wake up" on cold boot. I shut my machine down, removed my Win10 SSD, then booted back up. macOS seems to "see" the display, but I have no picture (I see 2 monitor options when I pull up System Preferences > Displays). macOS sees the TB display as a 2nd Samsung U38D590 (28" 4K display).

Maybe next steps should be to read up on how to do the SSDT (or whatever is needed) to get TB hot-swapping to work...?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back