Contribute
Register

Apple Thunderbolt Display + Hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally, I got my DisplayPort working. But no sound and any ports. How to enable them?

I got sound to work by installing the Apple Bootcamp Drivers manually.

I got sound to work by installing the Apple Bootcamp Drivers manually.
are you talking about sound in windows or mac os?

Apparently nobody has built a Hackintosh with the Apple Thunderbolt Display to work with sound, camera, and usb hub? The one I am building now is working but just the screen like everybody else. I don't care about the camera, audio, etc... I think the main problem for me is that I can't control the brightness of the monitor...

monerator, do you know how to activate camera, sound, usb etc on this monitor?

I have my Thunderbolt Display working with sound, camera, brightness controls and USB hub. I had to do a lot of investigation and tons of trial and error. Honestly, I would never do this again as I wasted too much time on it and would have been better off buying another monitor.

THIS IS NOT A GUIDE!!! This is a reference showing my TB Display working. So please spare my inbox :)
For anyone who wants to try, I'll attach some files for you WITHOUT SUPPORT.

I'm not 100% sure what made it work. I think it just started working on a reboot in the middle of the night. Or maybe it was the tequila.

Gotchas:
  • The setup is kind of fragile. A clover update can make it stop working and you may have to revert clover.
  • I dumped the asus tb card; I never got it to work.
  • I am afraid to update my MOBO BIOS
  • My config.plist is messy
My setup for the display and TB:
  • Apple MMEL2AM/A, Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to 2 Adapter
  • Gigabyte (Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 PCIe Card) Components Other GC-ALPINE RIDGE in Port 4(last PCI port)
  • No cable from TB card to TB header port
My Hack(my sig is slightly out of date):
  • PRIME Z370-A
  • i7 8700K
  • Sapphire 11276-02-40G Radeon PULSE RX VEGA 56 8GB HBM2 DUAL HDMI/DP (UEFI) PCI-E Graphics Card (in first PCI port)
  • SMBIOS

Pre-Reqs:
  • An overall working hackintosh.
  • USB Ports. Get your USB Ports correct following rehabman's guide. This is a must in my opinion for overall system stability.
  • Proper Audio Edits in config.plist
  • Read up on KGP's x299 guide here, specifically TB section E.9.2.13 (as of today).
  • Get the PCI paths correct per KGP's guide. There are also starting point files that can be used and modified.
  • Some Googling for other sites that have Thunderbolt + Hackintosh information.
  • There's tons of info out there about which PCI port the TB card should be in
Things to try
  • Choose a SMBIOS close to KGPs. I chose 18,3 which while not a perfect match is close enough.
  • Mess with the pci paths per KGP's guides and the others on the internets
  • Clear the Clover "nvram" by using F11; dunno if this helps or not
What doesn't work (but I don't care):
  • Hackintosh Sleep
  • TB Hotplug(may be related to sleep?or vice versa?)
  • The TB card doesn't show up in System Report
  • On rare occasions the TB card doesn't "initialize" properly and I have completely unplug the power for 30 secs or so it can be loaded by the MOBO.

Apparently nobody has built a Hackintosh with the Apple Thunderbolt Display to work with sound, camera, and usb hub? The one I am building now is working but just the screen like everybody else. I don't care about the camera, audio, etc... I think the main problem for me is that I can't control the brightness of the monitor...

Attachments

• SSDT-TB3HP.aml.zip
    4.8 KB · Views: 143
  • config.plist.zip
    3.9 KB · Views: 156
My configuration is quite fresh but seems to work properly (with audio and built-in camera) :
  • macOS High Sierra
  • ASUS PRIME Z270-A + i7-7700K
  • Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 8G
  • ASUS ThunderboltEX card
  • Apple Thunderbolt Display 27"
  • LG IPS237 24" LCD
There were two tricky things:
  • installing ASUS ThunderboltEX card in Windows
  • Thunderbolt3->Thunderbolt2 connector
  • drivers and audio settings in Windows10 (must be done before you switch to macOS)

Attachments

• monitors.png
    monitors.png
    43 KB · Views: 155
As for me, with my configiration Apple Thunderbolt display works without any windowses!!!
I have not installed any windows since connecting Thunderbolt Display!

(But any ports, sound etc is not working on display, even camera)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back