Graphics
HD 5500
Mac
  1. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
What loads the T2 chip in a real Macbook Pro, IMac Pro, ect.

Is there a kernel extention that does this or is it embedded within the kernel?

Also would it be possible to emulate?

I have the same question. Getting "Hey Siri" functionality on hackintosh would be great.

What loads the T2 chip in a real Macbook Pro, IMac Pro
The T2 runs on it's own operating system. Apple calls it BridgeOS which is a modified version of WatchOS. There is not much info on it right now. There are a few very technical papers that go into this but they are a difficult read. As a quick summary "The T2 coprocessor communicates with macOS using Apple’s XPC interprocess communication mechanism."
XPC is an interprocess communication mechanism designed by Apple which utilizes serialized property lists for messages. Apple has extended this mechanism to support a new range of functionality. Built on top of Network.framework, the RemoteXPC facility allows for XPC message passing between networked endpoints. The T2 coprocessor utilizes RemoteXPC to communicate to the host macOS installation. Currently, T2 services utilize this facility to pass messages back and forth as well as perform more complicated actions such as file transfers between the two domains, but we may very well see RemoteXPC used more broadly for cross-product communication in the future as the foundation is there.

Also would it be possible to emulate?

Since T2 does hardware encoding/decoding for videos, I don't think it can be properly emulated.

I have the same question. Getting "Hey Siri" functionality on hackintosh would be great.
Not really for that, this is a precaution just incase Apple makes it mandatory to have a T2 chip in the far future

The T2 runs on it's own operating system. Apple calls it BridgeOS which is a modified version of WatchOS. There is not much info on it right now. There are a few very technical papers that go into this but they are a difficult read. As a quick summary "The T2 coprocessor communicates with macOS using Apple’s XPC interprocess communication mechanism."

More of a way to spoof it, does the T2 Chip show up in a PCI connection, USB, or much more different?

I know it is a co-processor, but what makes the link between BridgeOS and macOS, the communication.

what makes the link between BridgeOS and macOS, the communication
It's all in the "Deciphering the Messages" article I linked. If you're not a developer and don't understand the terms used it won't help you much.

It's all in the "Deciphering the Messages" article I linked. If you're not a developer and don't understand the terms used it won't help you much.
Alright my bad, didnt look at it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back