Contribute
Register

Apple Special Event Scheduled for October 30th

Status
Not open for further replies.
After seeing the 2K NBA game demoed on the iPad Pro, I fear that Apple may use their own GPUs in Macs.
But they advertise eGPU which implies 3rd Party Graphics cards no ?

I wonder if you can upgrade the build in $$D of the new macMini

It was stated on stage that RAM is on SO-DIMMs.
SO-DIMM simply means it's laptop size, not whether it's soldered to the motherboard or not. We'll have to wait for the iFixit teardown to know for sure.

I think it's extremely important to the hackintosh community that the Mac Pro even continues to exist and that Apple has publicly stated that Pro users are important to them going forward. Sure the prices for the iMac Pro and new Mac Pro are way above what average Mac consumers will pay for a desktop. The great thing is that Apple can still produce these even if they don't sell in huge numbers like iPads and iPhones. Apple knows that those that make a living, earn money from using their Macs, will pay top dollar. So I really don't care about the higher prices as long as Apple stays with the Intel x86 architecture. If I can build my own PC and install macOS on it I'm more than happy. I don't see iMac Pros and Mac Pros switching to ARM based, A series chips exclusively any time soon, if ever.

I doubt that Apple will ever publicly acknowledge the hackintosh community but here's what Tim Cook might say if they did. (try to hear the sound of Tim Cook's voice as you read this)

"These are people, from every race, climate and culture around the world that love macOS so much they are willing to build their own machines to run the world's most advanced operating system on them. They spend hundreds of hours tirelessly reading and researching ways to make macOS run flawlessly on their computers. They even modify older Apple hardware such as the classic Mac Pro tower, iMac and Mac Mini because they absolutely love the design of Apple products. These are the dreamers, the tinkerers that embody the spirit of what Apple was like in the very beginning. A small group of people who have a vision to create beautiful products that are a joy to use. They are the creative artists, film makers, photographers and coders that are doing the very best work of their lives. So today, I tip my hat to this global community and say that today, Apple is changing it's End User License Agreement to allow the installation of macOS on non-Apple branded hardware. It's our way of saying thank you to this amazing group of people who are so dedicated to Apple."

Next, the audience at the Steve Jobs theater stands up and gives Cook a five minute long ovation. Many Apple employees that have built their own hackintoshes breathe a sigh of relief. Tonymacx86 members break out the champagne bottles and celebrate.

Should I send the above paragraph to Tim Cook via his email address ? What do you think ?
Haha pretty close to something he'd say.

But they advertise eGPU which implies 3rd Party Graphics cards no ?

I wonder if you can upgrade the build in $$D of the new macMini

From the image on stage, it looked like SSD is soldered. But RAM is socketed.

SO-DIMM simply means it's laptop size, not whether it's soldered to the motherboard or not. We'll have to wait for the iFixit teardown to know for sure.

Look at the image. The sockets can clearly be seen. Two SO-DIMMs stacked on top of each other like on old Mac Minis.

Also, DIMM stands for Dual In-line Memory Module. They can't be called DIMMs if they are not modules.

To those considering buying Mac Mini, I highly recommend you to check out Skyreach 4 Mini case. It's portable and still can fit a full sized GPU and has no problem fitting coolers for 65W i7-8700. I'm so happy with it.

There is another option now, for a mini.

B2F25B60-224C-42E1-8969-5F7A330AA654.png

Look at the image. The sockets can clearly be seen. Two SO-DIMMs stacked on top of each other like on old Mac Minis.

Also, DIMM stands for Dual In-line Memory Module. They can't be called DIMMs if they are not modules.

I hope they are normal SO-Dimm sockets. If you recall the 2013 MP, Apple used NVME SSDs and made the socket proprietary so that you couldn't install anyone else's NVME drive. So, there is a possibility they could do this again. I sure hope they learned their lesson from the huge failure that the 2013 MP was and don't do that again. It just makes their customers more angry and less "delighted" as they always try to emphasize as their mission.

I think the prudent and wise thing to do is wait and see what people report after they buy some of these new Minis.
Overall I'm very happy that these got the 8th Gen 6 core chips, making it now relevant again.

I hope they are normal SO-Dimm sockets. If you recall the 2013 MP, Apple used NVME SSDs and made the socket proprietary so that you couldn't install anyone else's NVME drive. So, there is a possibility they could do this again. I sure hope they learned their lesson from the huge failure that the 2013 MP was and don't do that again. It just makes their customers more angry and less "delighted" as they always try to emphasize as their mission.

I think the prudent and wise thing to do is wait and see what people report after they buy some of these new Minis.
Overall I'm very happy that these got the 8th Gen 6 core chips, making it now relevant again.

I don't think the guy would go out of his way to say "something we know our Mac Mini customers will really appreciate" if they were proprietary sockets.

It would also mark the first time Apple used proprietary sockets for RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back