Contribute
Register

Apple Special Event Scheduled for October 30th

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope they are normal SO-Dimm sockets. If you recall the 2013 MP, Apple used NVME SSDs and made the socket proprietary so that you couldn't install anyone else's NVME drive. So, there is a possibility they could do this again. I sure hope they learned their lesson from the huge failure that the 2013 MP was and don't do that again. It just makes their customers more angry and less "delighted" as they always try to emphasize as their mission.

I think the prudent and wise thing to do is wait and see what people report after they buy some of these new Minis.
Overall I'm very happy that these got the 8th Gen 6 core chips, making it now relevant again.

The Intel + Vega would have made them much more powerful. Too bad, maybe a Mac Mini Pro model in about another 7 years?

The Intel + Vega would have made them much more powerful. Too bad, maybe a Mac Mini Pro model in about another 7 years?

I just hope they don't make these new Minis so difficult to open that you will void your warranty if you do. Or worse yet, break something internal when you do so. Remember, Jobs set the tone very early on with the Apple II, basically saying, "I don't want the customer to ever open these up and mess with what's inside." I doubt that attitude has changed any today.

I just hope they don't make these new Minis so difficult to open that you will void your warranty if you do. Or worse yet, break something internal when you do so. Remember, Jobs set the tone very early on with the Apple II, basically saying, "I don't want the customer to ever open these up and mess with what's inside." I doubt that attitude has changed any today.

It looked like the same circular opening as the previous Mac Mini. I don't think it will be difficult.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/ftc-warranty-stickers-illegal/

I'm more concerned that we are now down to just one Mac (the current iMac) without a T2 chip. How much longer before we will need something like a FakeT2 or VirtualT2 to compensate?

It looked like the same circular opening as the previous Mac Mini. I don't think it will be difficult.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/ftc-warranty-stickers-illegal/

Again, I hope you're right on this. Just remember that Apple is the company that invented the pentalobe screw and a proprietary driver that only their techs could get. Just to keep their own customers from opening their purchased products.

https://ifixit.org/blog/9905/bit-history-the-pentalobe/

I'm more concerned that we are now down to just one Mac (the current iMac) without a T2 chip. How much longer before we will need something like a FakeT2 or VirtualT2 to compensate?

I hear ya on this. Once every new Mac gets a T2 onboard they can lock Macs down quite well. Well enough to keep us out unless someone quite clever figures out a workaround. Hopefully that is many years from now. Older Macs without T2 chips still should get the normal number of years of support in macOS.

Last edited:
Again, I hope you're right on this. Just remember that Apple is the company that invented the pentalobe screw and a proprietary driver that only their techs could get. Just to keep their own customers from opening their purchased products.

https://ifixit.org/blog/9905/bit-history-the-pentalobe/

Again, the guy did say "something we know our Mac Mini customers will really appreciate" regarding the RAM.

I don't think customers would appreciate if the sockets were inaccessible. Even though the RAM in the iMac Pro is socketed, they never said customers would really appreciate that.

I hear ya on this. Once every new Mac gets a T2 onboard they can lock Macs down quite well. Well enough to keep us out unless someone quite clever figures out a workaround. Hopefully that is many years from now.

It mentioned the HEVC processing tasks, and security. Yes in a few more years we may be stuck on unsupported software. Maybe a pcie adapter with an aftermarket chipset? Or an iPhone taped to the case with a lightning adapter to USB 3.1?

Again, the guy did say "something we know our Mac Mini customers will really appreciate" regarding the RAM.

I don't think customers would appreciate if the sockets were inaccessible. Even though the RAM in the iMac Pro is socketed, they never said customers would really appreciate that.

Who was that guy, did Howie Mandel get a new gig?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back