Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Screen Shot 2018-10-19 at 12.20.20 AM.png
Apple is holding a special press event the morning of October 30th at 10AM EDT. We're expecting news about new iPad and Mac hardware- possibly about the future of the aging Mac Mini and Mac Pro desktops. Along with the announcement, Apple put out a set of 10 awesome new logos.

applelogos2-800x289.jpg
applelogos3-800x286.jpg
applelogos4-800x246.jpg

What do you want to see from Apple?

Watch the event here:
https://www.apple.com/apple-events/

iPad, iMac Mini and iMac refresh?

Mac Pro for 2019

Think they will announce the proprietary processors that will put us out of business?

If there is a mini, I'm in. If not, I'm building come Ice Lake.

I always wish for what I can't get from Apple. I would love to see a mac desktop that is user upgradeable and user expandable. The mac mini of the 2014 variety was not. The imac of course is not. Only a small percentage of mac users need the specs of a mac pro or the imac pro. A nice case with some expansion slots and 2 - 4 user friendly ram slots would be a dream. Of course what we will probably get is a new (with no upgrade options) mac mini with intel 8th generation chips. I don't expect to see a mac pro. But . . . new ipads might be interesting. Excited to see what is coming. I think Apple has lost its way as a computer company. It is a mobile device company now. If Steve Jobs was around I don't think there would have been a such a long wait between mac mini and mac pro announcements.

Definitely iPad Pro event.
Mac Pro? likely not. They have publicly stated it won't be ready until 2019. https://www.macrumors.com/2018/04/05/apples-revamped-mac-pro-to-launch-in-2019/
That said, they could show it off. If I recall correctly, that's what they did with the last Mac Pro design (trashcan model). Demo'd months before it available for order.
Mac mini will be interesting. There is rumormill on it, but inflated price.
iMac is over-due, but they may be hesitant to release, since a iMac i7-8x00/9x00 will cannibalize the starter iMac Pro. Especially if Apple is considerate enough to throw in Vega (debatable, finally seeing Vega lower prices again, still a bit high over MSRP on initial launch, but AMD is still churning out Radeon 5x0's).

As for custom chips. It's interesting that Apple's A12 is apparently approaching desktop levels. https://www.anandtech.com/show/13392/the-iphone-xs-xs-max-review-unveiling-the-silicon-secrets/4
(bottom of the page) On certain single threaded tasks.
They are already using some sort of custom ARM chip on touch-bar MacBook Pro's.. it would be interesting to say the least, but any custom chips are still likely in the hybrid "A-chip"+intel stage for the immediate future(Secure Enclave, flash/file storage), before they ever reconsider their reliance with intel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back