Contribute
Register

Apple software/security update created a "install MacOS on High Sierra" boot entry in clover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z87X-UD4H
CPU
i-770k
Graphics
980ti
So I installed 10.13.6 with very much success. A few days ago I get an apple software/security update notification, and now I'm regretting going through with it.

I downloaded the update, and now when my machine reboots, there's a new partition on the OS drive called "Install MacOS on High Sierra" and it's the default/first entry. It seems to attempt to install the updates, apple logo and progress bar, etc. but it gets to a certain point and restarts, then does the same thing again, creating a boot/restart loop.

Luckily when clover comes up I can arrow over to the original default entry, "MacOS on High Sierra" and boot back into the working High Sierra install, but again I need to manually select the correct partition since "Install MacOS" is now the first entry.

How do I either:
-Successfully update
-Remove update
-Or hide new update install partition/make the working OS entry boot by default again

Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated!

A few days ago I get an apple software/security update notification

Last update to 10.13.6 appears to have been July 15, 2020, a bit more than 'a few days ago'.

The link on that page will take you to the update which you can download and reinstall.

Last update to 10.13.6 appears to have been July 15, 2020, a bit more than 'a few days ago'.

The link on that page will take you to the update which you can download and reinstall.

Sorry if I was unclear, I only installed High Sierra on this machine a few days ago, and was just now getting the security update notification. looks to be "Security Update 2020-004 10.13.6". I've already downloaded the update, but like i mentioned attempting to install it created a new Install partition as the default entry which doesn't actually install the update, but instead has created an endless restart loop.

You are supposed to use Clover to boot that install partition until it goes away. That's when you know the updates are done.

I haven't been able to boot the 2020-004 10.13.6 installer yet so I don't know how many times you need to boot.
Mine stops with a displaypolicyd problem.

Edit:
I skipped 004 and went to security update 2020-005. I also switched from my Clover 4910 to my Clover 5102 to be able to boot the update install. It takes about 2 or 3 boots to finish the update. But after the update I had to use my 4910 again to boot into High Sierra (now 17G14033). I should clean up / update my Clover folders and kexts and whatever...

Last edited:
You are supposed to use Clover to boot that install partition until it goes away. That's when you know the updates are done.

I haven't been able to boot the 2020-004 10.13.6 installer yet so I don't know how many times you need to boot.
Mine stops with a displaypolicyd problem.

Edit:
I skipped 004 and went to security update 2020-005. I also switched from my Clover 4910 to my Clover 5102 to be able to boot the update install. It takes about 2 or 3 boots to finish the update. But after the update I had to use my 4910 again to boot into High Sierra (now 17G14033). I should clean up / update my Clover folders and kexts and whatever...
There is no need to update Clover to install the Security Update 2020-005, at least for me. I just continue to use Clover 4428 to install the Security Update and run High Sierra afterwards with no problems.

@shentheory
If you are having problems with an update it is probably because there is a firmware update included in the package and, since you do not have Mac firmware, the update fails. Something like this:
Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 9.56.35 AM.png

So, just run the SecUpd files for the OS and Recovery and then delete the folder. I usually update the recovery first because it does not require a reboot, then run the OS one, reboot, then delete the folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back