Contribute
Register

Apple Reveals macOS Sierra at WWDC - Available Fall 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
macOS.jpeg

Today Apple revealed that OS X will be renamed macOS, and that this year's major revision will be called macOS Sierra. Some key improvements to the operating system include the addition of Siri voice assistant, Apple Pay, and remote unlock as well as updates to tabs, continuity, Safari, and iCloud. A Developer Preview version will be available immediately for registered Apple Developers, with a Public Beta expected in July.

The developer preview of macOS Sierra is available to Mac Developer Program members starting today. To help make macOS even better, Apple is also providing a macOS Public Beta Program, which gives customers early access to macOS Sierra and invites them to try out the release and submit their feedback. Mac users can participate in the Apple Beta Software Program for macOS Sierra this July and download the final version for free from the Mac App Store this fall.

In order to download and test out macOS Sierra, you must be a registered and paid member of the Apple Developer Program. A Public Beta is expected to release sometime later this Summer, with general availability in the Fall.

Please note, our rules prohibit discussion of the Developer Beta, but will allow discussion of the Public Beta when it is available.
  • This site allows discussion of pre-release software (such as macOS Public Beta software builds) from the free Apple Beta Software Program. This site does NOT support pre-release Apple Developer Program Beta software, and does NOT allow the discussion of installation or use of Apple Developer Program Beta software. Repeated violations of this rule will result in a permanent ban. No Apple Developer Program Builds, Apple Beta Software Program builds only.
Apple Developer Program
https://developer.apple.com/devcenter/mac/index.action

Apple Beta Software Program
https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/welcome

I'm updating now... I'll see how it goes.

It should be noted that the APFS info (as linked from ArsTechnica) indicates that it is currently avaialble in "container only" mode, and is case sensitive and not bootable. So you'll be booting in HFS+ for the near future, and since the "ships in 2017" info indicates that this tech is coming after 10.12 ships, that also implies that it's a preliminary tech, not a mission critical tech yet.

A note on the Mac Pro 2010 or later and iMac/MB 2009 or later requirement: The wording for that makes it seem like it's for the beta only and is not carved in stone for the release. One can hope, right?

First thing I've read on the subject is on Ars Technica - and that is Mac Pro 2010 or later for Sierra. iMac seems to be 2009 and later.

Might be time to explore changing my system definition to a Skylake iMac now. Trouble is Mac Pro 2008 has been the best platform so far.
Yes, it's amazing how well the MacPro3,1 system definition works on so many different Hackintosh hardware mixes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back