Contribute
Register

Apple Reveals macOS 10.15 Catalina- Available Fall 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes but the problem is not money, i mean i’m not rich, but i can easily buy a 580, others who wants to save money can buy an use card on ebay, i can’t buy a amd as a temporary replacement because i don’t like amd, also many users multiboot or use windows, with a nvidia kepler card you can use FCP and have acceleration on mac os but with a amd card you don’t have cuda support on windows because amd doesn’t work with cuda, you need a nvidia card for that, in the past, we had cuda support in both mac os 10.13 high sierra and windows 10, some people need cuda support in at least on of those 2 systems, the ones that don’t need cuda can easily switch to amd but the ones that need cuda can’t switch to amd

is it Haswell still support on Cat alina?

is it Haswell still support on Cat alina?
Yes, Ivy Bridge is too, That means all 2012 or newer iMac and Mac mini sysdefs are still good with Catalina.

Yes, Ivy Bridge is too, That means all 2012 or newer iMac and Mac mini sysdefs are still good with Catalina.
great! :thumbup:

It's when they release ARM based desktop/laptop hardware we will probably need to start worrying...

Seems like every thread featuring an Apple OS update brings out the Nvidia issue. I have moved on. I like the OS, I like some of the features in Mojave and spent some money on keeping my rig up to date. Yea, I put a decent Nvidia card in the junk box and may stick it in a build for my kid. No big deal. I think it will get solved in the future, but no need to waste years of my life angry about my card not working vs getting one that works well. Also by the time new drivers are out, these cards that folks are clinging too will be a few generations back.

I am looking forward to 10.15 and will keep staying current. The sidecar feature alone has me sold.

I thought like this so I dumped my 980 Ti and bought a RX Vega 64. Its giving me excellent compute scores but no cuda. The one piece of software that is really important to me (Lightroom), turns out to benefit highly from CUDA. Now its performance is crap.

The struggle actually turned out to be real after all.

Per these notes from WWDC:

macOS Catalina will be the last OS version to run kernel extensions without compromise

If the next post-Catalina OS won’t run kexts anymore, that seems like a bigger obstacle to me than T2 chips or lack of nvidia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back