Contribute
Register

Apple Reveals macOS 10.14 Mojave at WWDC - Available Fall 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good golly. Posting this nonsense on a forum filled mostly with folks that love macOS enough to spend hours getting it to work on off-the-shelf hardware. Yes, some of the folks here do it specifically to save money but I have always owned Apple hardware in addition to Hackintoshes. I do it mostly because it's fun to screw hardware together and problem solve and be part of the community. Mind you I'm not debating that Apple hardware is more expensive than your Dells or that you can get a $500 laptop. And I'm not debating that there have probably been times when the price differential was pretty significant as a percentage or that Apple charges what the market will bear for its hardware (just as every capitalistic company should). Today, however, Apple hardware is on balance price competitive if you consider the value of the software, the OS design, and the value of the engineering that goes into Apple hardware. You take a malfunctioning USB hard drive dock and attach it to most PC laptops and it'll fry the motherboard. You take that same dock and attach it to a Mac laptop and it's engineered to fault cleanly and shut down, no permanent damage. Another anecdote, my 2013 RMbP is still running like a champ. There are no 2013 Dell laptops around. If you don't see value in the software or OS design why are you even here?

I'm 100% with you on all points. My first foray into a Hackintosh was the challenge of it and to see if I could make it work. I have both Macs and Hackintoshes with my Macs being the primary machines. My Hackintoshes are usually a secondary purpose machine like the two "MacPro" Hackintoshes I built for ripping video files to iTunes. One is a Dell Precision 690 and the other was built from scratch with an Intel Server board - both have dual quad Xeons and 24GB of RAM. I also have an HP EliteBook 8470 that is my "Road Warrior" for traveling. If it gets swiped I'm out $0 other than my time. I'd rather it be that than my actual MacBook Pro. Just for references sake, my 2006 MacPro is still running great - but by no means is it "stock" anymore and my late 2007 MacBook Pro ran great till last year when the GPU gave up the ghost (nVidia GPU issue). Macs definitely hold up longer than PCs. I work in professional IT and can vouch for that. I've had 2 year old Dells that have died just from normal wear and tear, or die out of the box because the QC/QA at Dell sucks.

I'm 100% with you on all points. My first foray into a Hackintosh was the challenge of it and to see if I could make it work. I have both Macs and Hackintoshes with my Macs being the primary machines. My Hackintoshes are usually a secondary purpose machine like the two "MacPro" Hackintoshes I built for ripping video files to iTunes. One is a Dell Precision 690 and the other was built from scratch with an Intel Server board - both have dual quad Xeons and 24GB of RAM. I also have an HP EliteBook 8470 that is my "Road Warrior" for traveling. If it gets swiped I'm out $0 other than my time. I'd rather it be that than my actual MacBook Pro. Just for references sake, my 2006 MacPro is still running great - but by no means is it "stock" anymore and my late 2007 MacBook Pro ran great till last year when the GPU gave up the ghost (nVidia GPU issue). Macs definitely hold up longer than PCs. I work in professional IT and can vouch for that. I've had 2 year old Dells that have died just from normal wear and tear, or die out of the box because the QC/QA at Dell sucks.
https://www.businessinsider.de/an-i...cheaper-to-own-than-windows-2016-10?r=US&IR=T

IBM are seriously not Apple "Fanboys" so i can actually believe this might really be true.

I agree 100 % with ansolas. How hard would it be to slightly modify and upgrade the 2012 Mac Mini ? Put in a non-K 6 core Coffee Lake i5 or i7 like the 8700. Give it M.2 slots for NVME drives and Wifi. Anywhere from 2-3 Thunderbolt 3 ports for either a monitor or eGPU. Make the ram, NVME drive and everything else easily accessible to the end user. Upgrades don't have to be limited to only what Apple sells at time of manufacture. Why can't a company valued at a trillion dollars accomplish this simple task ? Their mission statement says they want to "delight" their customers. A Mac like this would make a lot of people very happy.

Nearly everyone in this community could use and would want a machine like that. If they have to make it slightly larger and put a better cooling system in it they could easily do that. Apple is really missing out on hundreds of millions of Mac sales by not doing this.

Last edited:
I agree 100 % with ansolas. How hard would it be to slightly modify and upgrade the 2012 Mac Mini ? Put in a non-K 6 core Coffee Lake i5 or i7 like the 8700. Give it M.2 slots for NVME drives and Wifi. Anywhere from 2-3 Thunderbolt 3 ports for either a monitor or eGPU. Make the ram, NVME drive and everything else easily accessible to the end user. Upgrades don't have to be limited to only what Apple sells at time of manufacture. Why can't a company valued at a trillion dollars accomplish this simple task ? Their mission statement says they want to "delight" their customers. A Mac like this would make a lot of people very happy.

Nearly everyone in this community could use and would want a machine like that. If they have to make it slightly larger and put a better cooling system in it they could easily do that. Apple is really missing out on hundreds of millions of Mac sales by not doing this.
I think that Apple aims @ two kinds op people.
1. Normal Consumers who know nothing about tech
2. Professionals who need productivity

I think 80% of us in here are tech enthusiasts and some of us may also be pro Users. But in normal case neither of those 2 groups would seriously benefit from such an machine. Normal consumer wont care @ all. And the professionals in the most cases have more money available because they can make it valid as a work machine they bought for work and wont mind 100 bucks more or less like i do.
Of course there are exceptions everywhere but i think a great percentage of their customers fit into those two categories.
Tech enthousiasts tend to mind less about design and rather like performance and such things. Normally we shouldn't like apple in here (the most of us) to bad they do some great stuff which we love...

Last edited:
Normally we shouldn't like apple in here (the most of us) to bad they do some great stuff which we love...

I like Apple products they just seem to work, and if they were not slow as hell at releasing a new Mac Pro I might never had made a Hackintosh. Depending on the scaleability and price of the new Mac Pro I likely will go back to using one. Why shouldn't you like them?

I like Apple products they just seem to work, and if they were not slow as hell at releasing a new Mac Pro I might never had made a Hackintosh. Depending on the scaleability and price of the new Mac Pro I likely will go back to using one. Why shouldn't you like them?
Because like I said apple doesn't make Products more people like me generally speaking. They're either very underpowered devices or very very pricey. Even if a Mac Pro came out which would be great I couldn't afford it...
On the other hand I like apple for similar reasons as you. To be honest I'm not so much in Love with IOS but rather love the Mac experience. The only reason to have an iPhone is those continuity features which make the devices work flawlessly together. By the way the new take photo from iPhone Option in majove is simply great

is there a way to get a mac from there without tax without moving ?
You might purchase one for less in a region where parts availability and assembly coincide. But probably end up paying tax some other way.

Thanks! I'm fairly set on X299 now so my next questions would be:

A) I assume my existing (temporary before Vega) RX560 will still work out of the box (I have it already!) given it seems to be natively supported therefore I can ignore all the GPU part of the guide?

B) More crucially, what motherboards should I aim for?

I'm half tempted just to get the Asus used in the guide, however I'd much rather get a board with the best set of VRM & VRM cooling than fancy features (For example I'd not get onboard WiFi/BT but use the MacBook card in a PCI-E/M2 slot).

Cheers.

A) RX560 will work OOB, just make sure it's not XFX (if it is you need to flash it Sapphire Pulse, but you may brick it if you're not careful). Yes you can ignore the GPU portion of the guide. AMD requires no drivers it's all built in.

However remember, RX (non Vega) is based on Polaris and there may be issues I haven't come across.

RX560 works fine on my 2nd Hackintosh with a 6700k (I have iGPU enabled and tried to match exactly an iMac 18,3) and it works fine.

B) This is a tough question. If you check this thread there are people with various motherboards. I initially had the Gigabyte Gaming 9 but returned it and got a Designare EX and I love this board. It has built in thunderbolt (which I haven't used for prolonged purposes) but it's a solidly built mobo with proper VRM heatpipes. As you know, X299 runs pretty hot especially when you start overclocking, this is the reason why I didn't go with any ASUS motheboard (even though I always preferred them and their BIOS) but this time I took a chance on Gigabyte and the Designare EX is a solidly built motherboard which looks great (low key, no RGB lighting and fancy colors) and it does a good job for me.

I have one USB drive connected to the mac, used for time machine. Every once in a while, I get the message that it wasn't safely ejected.
But I was getting the same with my mac pro 2013 so it has never worried me, plus the backup continues anyway

Cheers for that. I was thinking it may be sleep related but I have all sleep options off.

The only things irking me are: USB3.0 issues (like I mentioned) and Bluetooth audio stuttering but otherwise I love everything about this build. If I can figure out these 2 issues I'll be happy as a chimpanzee :thumbup:

What is the make/model of your NVME drive so others can avoid purchasing the same one? Samsung 960 EVO is 60% slower?
You might purchase one for less in a region where parts availability and assembly coincide. But probably end up paying tax some other way.
Yeah Samsung 960evo with hangs at log in and slow boot with patched APFS kext after a few days of use lets I have drive half way full it drops from 1500mb write to 300mb and read is also affected about 1gb I am not joking people aways seem like they know everything and its stated in install guide not upgrade to apfs the other guy tell me how good it runs LMAO:silent::silent::silent:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back