Contribute
Register

Apple Reveals macOS 10.14 Mojave at WWDC - Available Fall 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Apple is doing any due diligence on Mac hardware development nowadays, they've been paying attention to AMD's Zen architecture starting to come into its own. Zen APUs are essentially what Apple has been pushing Intel to make all these years: A decent CPU with a better-than-integrated GPU in a low-power package. Given how Apple's appearing to go all-in on Metal, AMD's chips would seem like a good match.

That said, if Apple has already internally committed to making in-house SoCs for Macs down the line (as their Portland job postings seem to indicate), spending time to implement AMD support might be brushed aside as a distraction at this stage.

It'd be interesting to see what happens. AMD is straight up killing Intel right now, even if their single core performance is not as good as Intel, Threadripper is still an amazing value/performance.

Intel already partnered up with AMD to make an APU.

Next few months and years it's going to be very interesting to see Intel being squeezed to innovate. AMD is lacking in the graphical power arena compared to NVIDIA in general.

If you have better performance in Premiere Pro with OpenCL than CUDA then you have a magical computer. Maybe you're doing something different than me? I'd like to know how you get good performance...Would be nice to share.
No I have nothing like that no CUDA no OpenCl no Adobe no FCPX.. I don't even have a computer

I also noticed this, apple even added APFS support for old mechanical hard drives and fusion drives, why they would do something like that? to expand support or it is because they want to get rid of HFS+ and they want only APFS
we all know that Mojave will be the last OS to support 32 bit apps, could it also be that Mojave will be the last OS to support HFS+ , I think apple is moving on to APFS only

Yeah I feel like they are putting work on things that don't need to fixed like HFS, that filesystem maybe old but is still one of the best if not the best I don't see how APFS will be better considering in halfway full NVME drives drops 60% in performance I tasted that my self one of the reasons I don't like APFS also the fact that is native to apple only the 32bit apps is ok if they go is about time app developers stop be lazy and move to 64bit anyway there some software that have stayed 32 bit just because devs were earning well from them even that they know they should have moved to 64 long time ago

For my own usage I don't really need another new version of MacOS. Apart from new hardware support, El Capitan, Sierra, and High Sierra are almost the same to me.

I only installed Sierra when it reached 10.12.6 due to native Kaby Lake support, and High Sierra when it reached 10.13.4 due to native AMD RX graphics card support, and unless there is some new hardware support I need, I am going to stay away from Mojave until at least 10.14.4 or even later, well into 2019.

Yeah I feel like they are putting work on things that don't need to fixed like HFS, that filesystem maybe old but is still one of the best if not the best I don't see how APFS will be better considering in halfway full NVME drives drops 60% in performance I tasted that my self one of the reasons I don't like APFS also the fact that is native to apple only the 32bit apps is ok if they go is about time app developers stop be lazy and move to 64bit anyway there some software that have stayed 32 bit just because devs were earning well from them even that they know they should have moved to 64 long time ago

HFS/HFS+ is actually a terrible file systems in retrospect. They do not have efficient parallel copy/write operations.

Apple was using a workaround to do parallel operations for years (ie loading files into memory instead of direct copying).

Have you ever copied multiple files and gotten the multiple copy bars and have them go one by one instead of in parallel? Or have you ever started a copy/move operation and tried to empty the trash at the same time? Yep, you would get a beachball. This also caused slowdowns overall.

APFS is a world standard and an extremely modern file system that will only get better, especially for hard drives. Apple knows Hard Drives are not going away, they will refine it for Hard Drives as time goes on. For example, I use Time Machine and still use HFS+ (Internal drive) and any external drive I use is HFS+ as well.

You should read some of these:

https://www.cio.com/article/2868393...s-is-probably-the-worst-file-system-ever.html

https://www.zdnet.com/article/horrors-linus-torvalds-calls-hfs-utter-crap/

Last edited:
Your right. Ms is not innovative either. Apple is playing it safe. It’s just a little frustrating to see the lack of hardware updates for the Mac.
the whole apple mac lineup and it's prices is a a sad story

For Enthusiasts...
To be honest the iMac lineup does fairly well price wise. And if you take into perspective which build quality you get with those MacBooks they're not so awful either. It is just a question if you value performance more then Peripherals. I can tell you that many wouldn't notice a better CPU/GPU but would hate using one of those Windows Trackpads.

Good golly. Posting this nonsense on a forum filled mostly with folks that love macOS enough to spend hours getting it to work on off-the-shelf hardware. Yes, some of the folks here do it specifically to save money but I have always owned Apple hardware in addition to Hackintoshes. I do it mostly because it's fun to screw hardware together and problem solve and be part of the community. Mind you I'm not debating that Apple hardware is more expensive than your Dells or that you can get a $500 laptop. And I'm not debating that there have probably been times when the price differential was pretty significant as a percentage or that Apple charges what the market will bear for its hardware (just as every capitalistic company should). Today, however, Apple hardware is on balance price competitive if you consider the value of the software, the OS design, and the value of the engineering that goes into Apple hardware. You take a malfunctioning USB hard drive dock and attach it to most PC laptops and it'll fry the motherboard. You take that same dock and attach it to a Mac laptop and it's engineered to fault cleanly and shut down, no permanent damage. Another anecdote, my 2013 RMbP is still running like a champ. There are no 2013 Dell laptops around. If you don't see value in the software or OS design why are you even here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back