Contribute
Register

Apple Reveals macOS 10.14 Mojave at WWDC - Available Fall 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going forward, Apple is ending support for both OpenGL and OpenCL according to an announcement made in their "What's New in macOS" arcticle on Mojave: https://developer.apple.com/macos/whats-new/

Deprecation of OpenGL and OpenCL

Apps built using OpenGL and OpenCL will continue to run in macOS 10.14, but these legacy technologies are deprecated in macOS 10.14. Games and graphics-intensive apps that use OpenGL should now adopt Metal. Similarly, apps that use OpenCL for computational tasks should now adopt Metal and Metal Performance Shaders.

Metal is designed from the ground up to provide the best access to the modern GPUs on iOS, macOS, and tvOS devices. Metal avoids the overhead inherent in legacy technologies and exposes the latest graphics processing functionality. Unified support for graphics and compute in Metal lets your apps efficiently utilize the latest rendering techniques. For information about developing apps and games using Metal, see the developer documentation for Metal, Metal Performance Shaders, and MetalKit. For information about migrating OpenGL code to Metal, see Mixing Metal and OpenGL Rendering in a View.

Dang. I wonder how Adobe is going to respond to this.

For example, OpenCL is miles better than Metal for Premiere Pro CC2018. CUDA is better than both of these.

I really hope Adobe takes time to make the next update (CC2019?) Metal only with performance close to CUDA.

I thought I did something wrong, but right now I’m happy that at least I know I’m not the only one.
I had the same issue here too with Clover 4509 when updating to macOS 10.13.5, I had to use an old usb with clover 4439 to be able to see my partitions again.

Last edited:
waiting for public beta to be out so when can start troubleshooting and discussions. I already installed and made a few discoveries but we can't talk about it until public beta is out.

CUDA is better than both of these.
That Adobe and CUDA old myth has been busted and marked as (Wrong), it might work better with nVidia professional cards but not with consumer GTX gaming oriented cards, I couldn't buy a usd9000 Quadro to test by myself but any AMD nVidia card I had the results in Adobe were different for both sides.
Here is a real time test about AMD vs nVidia GTX gaming cards in Adobe, which AMD shows better results in 2 out of 3 tests:

I'm gone be in love with Xcode in DARK MODE. :clap:

Just a quick question:
Do you think that in the future stuff like Games would be programmed on all Platforms at once?
Like EA decides to bring a game to the Mac, lets say Fifa (Ignoring performance issues). Would the same game then be fairly easy to port to TV OS and IOS.
Because if this is the case the Mac or then the entire apple Platform might be way more interesting for developers (and we would see way more apps/games in consequence)

Seeing the Nintendo Switch I'm not sure if an iPad Pro is so far away performance wise. With the Apple TV as the "console" this would be the perfect platform in my Opinion. And it would also boost Apple TV way ahead of Shield or Android TV in general.

The A10X in the iPad Pro is leaps and bounds faster than the Tegra X1 in the Switch. Times like this I wish Apple would sell their SoCs to other companies because an Apple chip would have been a much better fit for the Switch.

Dang. I wonder how Adobe is going to respond to this.

For example, OpenCL is miles better than Metal for Premiere Pro CC2018. CUDA is better than both of these.

I really hope Adobe takes time to make the next update (CC2019?) Metal only with performance close to CUDA.

Adobe will either stick with CUDA, or move to Vulkan and bundle the Mac driver from Khronos. I don't see anyone choosing Metal, other than some data scientists, game engine developers, and Apple itself.

The A10X in the iPad Pro is leaps and bounds faster than the Tegra X1 in the Switch. Times like this I wish Apple would sell their SoCs to other companies because an Apple chip would have been a much better fit for the Switch.

I actually thought the same a few times already. On tvs already some old a9 chips, they would have laying around, would most likely make huge improvements. When i look @ my OLED LG TV it could really need some performance boost.

But actually if I could choose a Company apple should buy or coorporate with then it would be Nintendo. There would be so much potential in such a combination. Imagine Mario Games or even old Wii games shine on the apple tv. A Nintendo Handheld with an A10X and a nice screen.

With apple taking care of performance of the devices and a nice usable Interface and the unique Nintendo Games this could be simply awesome. Also There would be no reason why they wouldn't get the tripple A titles like other consoles.

From what I have googled, it seems Mojave will run on Safe Mode without Metal but, from what I am aware of, Safe Mode is too limited. Something else seems to have came up. It appears the CPU needs SSE 4.2 , I have SSE 4.1 . Can someone confirm this, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back