Contribute
Register

Apple Reveals macOS 10.14 Mojave at WWDC - Available Fall 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
The os being metal based might prevent it from working on systems with no metal capable graphics
A quick Google search showed something like that. So, we need to know if a metal GPU is a must or we can run the OS even on older GPUs, even with a reduced functionality. Personally, I would be ok with that, if I can still install and run the OS.

Last edited:
Don't give up yet. I'm pretty sure we'll have this working given the past track history. What I'm really concerned about personally is seeing this work for actual 2009 Mac Pros hacked to be 2010 models. I'm pretty sure that will even work, but some heads are gonna roll if they really fight this one!

I think the real killer hat almost everyone has been wanting for a long time is the REAL dark mode.

I have a 09 upgraded to 5,1, they only check the 5,1 number and not the release year at least thats how its always worked till now.

I was able to download it with iMac Pro config. Installed it on a new partition, rebooted 3 times and after the installation was „done“ i was not able to boot the OS. Timeout AppleACPICPU... idk maybe fakesmc needs to updated or its my fault.. anyhow havent got much time to take care of it rn

Well I am using laptop config for 2017 15inch MacBook Pro since my laptop matches the spec and I can't get to enroll for some reason even that I did install developer beta Utility I can wait for public beta hopefully I would not have same problem..

No Macs were announced. Actually, no new products were announced at all. I think we'll see product announcements at the Apple meet up in late August/early September as they have in the past.

That plays at odds with iPhone refresh. They have to refresh by August I think. Apple is beholden to quarterly results, so it's always been my impression they tend to pad out their hardware releases, to maintain positive quarterly results through-out the year(iPhone's one quarter, iPad's another, iMac/MB/MBP another). Dumping a bunch of hardware refreshes in the same quarter, will produce one really insane sales quarter, but a stagnant or loss to their previous quarterly results for the remainder of year.

This is just me talking out my ass, I also see iMac Coffee-Lake (6 core) as possibly cannibalizing against their iMac Pro low-end. I know 8-core Xeon != 6-core i7, but still, creative's are going to pause on jumping on the iMac Pro's massive $ investment, while being completely locked-in (well, RAM is upgradable from a capable service centre, but it's not user-replaceable for the average mortal). Merely speculating, if they refresh to 6-core, they might drop 8-core iMac Pro (though rare, Apple has occasionally dropped the price on a product). Or they'll just drop the 8-core configuration completely.

There's also the issue of the GPU. They were already using Radeon (mobile?)5xx in the current iMac. And Vega is nothing short of impossible to get for an affordable price(and already reserved for the iMac Pro). This may finally shift them to nVidia again. The earliest 11xx chips from nVidia are going to be at least August.

Though the Frankenstein-intel-AMD Vega CPU is intriguing, I can see it being on the low-end 21"/ 27". ( https://www.anandtech.com/show/1222...-core-with-radeon-rx-vega-m-graphics-launched ).

Apple (Tim Cook?) has already gone on record that the Mac Pro will not be refreshed this year. Early 2019. Hopefully.

The eGPU stuff is intriguing. I know it's not new, but being mentioned twice now by Apple within a year, and with more details, is certainly interesting. I know it won't ever perform as well as a native installed card, but it may be "good enough" for Creatives. Certainly get closer to that on-demand modular system.

Sounds great! It would be pretty cool to see iOS apps coming to MacOS since I do not own an iPhone or iPad, and this will also greatly improve the amount of apps on the App Store which is lacking behind iOS a lot in my opinion. :thumbup:

Last edited:
I wonder what companies like Korg will do. Their very successful iOS app "Gadget" is $39, but the MacOS version costs $299. If the iOS version will run on MacOS that would be great for consumers, not so great for Korg. But hell, $299 for Gadget is extremely overpriced for what it does.

Cant wait, i prefer mac turned dark anyways, have had to live with it set for color inverted to fix the issues of too much white blinding me and giving me migraines. Go apple getting with the times, black and grey can be modern too!

And Vega is nothing short of impossible to get for an affordable price(and already reserved for the iMac Pro).

It's down to $500 currently for Sapphire, PowerColor, and Gigabyte Vega 56 models. MSI is $520. Still an annoying markup for a $400 card, but far far better than the $1000 it was a few months ago. I think I might go for it.

It seems Apple have simultaneously deserted but NOT deserted the Mac, with macOS Mojave... :p

It's down to $500 currently for Sapphire, PowerColor, and Gigabyte Vega 56 models. MSI is $520. Still an annoying markup for a $400 card, but far far better than the $1000 it was a few months ago. I think I might go for it.

I was commenting or speculating more on the future of iMac refresh. iMac Pro low-end starts with a Vega 56. The current iMac has Radeon 5xx (mobile parts?). There is no 6xx - Vega was supposed to be it's successor IIRC. I'm seeing $550, if you can get stock. But that's besides the point. Just speculating on Apple refreshes. If a coffee-lake iMac happens, with a Vega no less, I don't see them making the base configuration iMac Pro anymore. More likely they will just use existing Radeon's with coffee-lake. They have to differentiate somehow.

And for the curious, here's the mention about Mac Pro being 2019 only:
"We want to be transparent and communicate openly with our pro community so we want them to know that the Mac Pro is a 2019 product. It's not something for this year." In addition to transparency for pro customers on an individual basis, there's also a larger fiscal reasoning behind it.
https://www.macrumors.com/2018/04/05/apples-revamped-mac-pro-to-launch-in-2019/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back