Contribute
Register

Apple Reveals macOS 10.14 Mojave at WWDC - Available Fall 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well its nice and all but for now it dose not seem like a good idea due to apple disabling the good old terminal command to disable APFS , like on 10.13.X it seems as of first DP of 10.14 apple is trying to really push there slow apfs so bad no idea why they haven't even gotten it to work right on 10,13 is way slower even on real Macs I mean the 2017 models, so knowing how well APFS behave on hackintosh, I don't feel future is bright anymore since if its not there in DP1 I don't think it will be there on official release haven't tried the usb method but I think they are trying to get rid of HFS for whatever reason

That Adobe and CUDA old myth has been busted and marked as (Wrong), it might work better with nVidia professional cards but not with consumer GTX gaming oriented cards, I couldn't buy a usd9000 Quadro to test by myself but any AMD nVidia card I had the results in Adobe were different for both sides.
Here is a real time test about AMD vs nVidia GTX gaming cards in Adobe, which AMD shows better results in 2 out of 3 tests:

Wrong. I’ve done plenty of tests and CUDA is still miles ahead of OpenCL. It’s not a myth.

Adobe will either stick with CUDA, or move to Vulkan and bundle the Mac driver from Khronos. I don't see anyone choosing Metal, other than some data scientists, game engine developers, and Apple itself.

Adobe already uses Metal they just need to optimize it.

If Apple forces them to dump OpenCL they are bound to optimize Metal.

Is the whole macOS Mojave going to use Metal instead of OpenCL for the entire system?
FCPX still uses OpenCL (https://www.apple.com/final-cut-pro/specs/); if in the future it will use Metal it means that we should be able to use Nvidia cards (right now AMD GPUs are way better for FCPX) :)
This is a benchmark from an article written on the 12th October 2017 comparing AMD vs Nvidia.
v_vs_p_cmp_metal.png

Am I wrong?

Well its nice and all but for now it dose not seem like a good idea due to apple disabling the good old terminal command to disable APFS , like on 10.13.X it seems as of first DP of 10.14 apple is trying to really push there slow apfs so bad no idea why they haven't even gotten it to work right on 10,13 is way slower even on real Macs I mean the 2017 models, so knowing how well APFS behave on hackintosh, I don't feel future is bright anymore since if its not there in DP1 I don't think it will be there on official release haven't tried the usb method but I think they are trying to get rid of HFS for whatever reason
I also noticed this, apple even added APFS support for old mechanical hard drives and fusion drives, why they would do something like that? to expand support or it is because they want to get rid of HFS+ and they want only APFS

we all know that Mojave will be the last OS to support 32 bit apps, could it also be that Mojave will be the last OS to support HFS+ , I think apple is moving on to APFS only

Last edited:
Is the whole macOS Mojave going to use Metal instead of OpenCL for the entire system?
FCPX still uses OpenCL (https://www.apple.com/final-cut-pro/specs/); if in the future it will use Metal it means that we should be able to use Nvidia cards (right now AMD GPUs are way better for FCPX) :)
This is a benchmark from an article written on the 12th October 2017 comparing AMD vs Nvidia.
View attachment 334663

Am I wrong?

I don't understand that graph... When I run the Geekbench 4 Metal benchmark, my score is nothing like those.
Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 8.37.40 AM.png
For reference, the chart posted by Michelinu is from barefeats.com.

could it also be that Mojave will be the last OS to support HFS+ , I think apple is moving on to APFS only
Makes sense to have all system disks all-APFS. HFS+ will still be around though.

Wrong. I’ve done plenty of tests and CUDA is still miles ahead of OpenCL. It’s not a myth.
Ok I understand, my experience are all wrong, the video posted on YouTube with real life benchmarking also wrong, only you are right. good to know.

View attachment 334663

Am I wrong?

Apple is moving many parts of FCPX to Metal, and most likely 100% Metal by 10.15 (2019).

Apple has always been about open standards like OpenGL and OpenCL, the latter which they helped develop.

Once the next major update to macOS moves 100% Metal, companies like Adobe HAVE to move to 100% Metal (which they do currently support, but performance is subpar).

CUDA on the other hand will be depreciated, because no current Mac has an NVIDIA GPU. The last NVIDIA GPU capable Mac was from 2014 (MacBook Pro 15"). Also Apple doesn't officially support NVIDIA eGPUs.

Apple is clearly forcing OpenCL and CUDA (which hasn't been working properly for years now anyway) out the door from macOS, which I am ok with, as long as Metal is taken seriously, I'm happy with that.

Companies like OToy are building Octane to work with Metal soon, and it will be here in about 9 months from now. I'm curious to see how things progress in this area.

Also regarding NVIDIA vs AMD...AMD has always had better compute performance in general and NVIDIA had better overall 3D performance fine tuned for gaming. OpenCL performance with NVIDIA has always been subpar. CUDA on the other hand has always been a performance king, but many companies don't want to tie themselves into NVIDIAs ecosystem like that, and Apple and AMD have always relied on open standards like OpenCL.

I don't understand that graph... When I run the Geekbench 4 Metal benchmark, my score is nothing like those.
View attachment 334666
For reference, the chart posted by Michelinu is from barefeats.com.
@pastrychef.. Nevermind, thats another random internet website mislead information as we used always to see when it come to Nvidia vs AMD thing, probably website payed by Nvidia or simply done by an Nvidia fanboy.
it shows Vega 64 4144 score lmao, meanwhile my Vega 64 is over 200K.
Actually from now on as 10.14 welling to support only Metal, the GTX cards should be used only for gaming on Windows there where they should be, never anywhere else.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back