CPU
I9-7960X
Graphics
RTX 2080
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Are you using the macOS RAID to boot your NVMe array?
yes but I'm using Mac OS journaled FS not APFS. I don't know if apple will ever add APFS support for RAID. a mean i can create a RAID0 array with APFS but is not bootable, that was the last time I tried when High Sierra first came out, but I don't if it might work now because apple added support for fusion drives and mechanical drives, the reason why I think it didn't work before is because APFS create that preboot volume and I think that volume is not created when I create a RAID0 or if the volume is created but certain files are not being written to that location because is in RAID0 I don't remember which one but is one of those 2, so that's probably the reason why RAID0 is not bootable with APFS, i will only give another try when the official version of Mojave is out, it will be awesome to have Mojave in APFS in RAID0

there is also a 3rd party app called sofraid but is a comercial app, some people use it, but I create the raid using disk utility and is bootable on Mac OS High Sierra

Last edited:

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
The 2017 iMac Pro uses NVME SSDs in a raid configuration. The file system is APFS. Their raid array is controlled by the custom T2 chip so that is probably why it's difficult to RAID0 two NVME drives when using APFS on a CustoMac.
The teardown also reveals that in the iMac Pro 1TB base model, Apple has chosen to use two 512GB SSDs in a RAID configuration.
From: https://www.macrumors.com/2017/12/28/owc-imac-pro-teardown-2017/

Motherboard
Aorus x299 Gaming 7 Pro
CPU
I9-7960X
Graphics
RTX 2080
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
The 2017 iMac Pro uses NVME SSDs in a raid configuration. The file system is APFS. Their raid array is controlled by the custom T2 chip so that is probably why it's difficult to RAID0 two NVME drives when using APFS on a CustoMac.

From: https://www.macrumors.com/2017/12/28/owc-imac-pro-teardown-2017/
yesterday I find out that I can use iMac Pro smbios with my build, I am waiting for Mojave to then create a new iMac Pro smbios for my system. so I can keep that one from there on, that info is a great contribution, that's why sharing knowledge and resources is always good. I knew about the T2 chip because saw it on a picture but I didn't know the function because I didn't look for it. when I have some spare time I will give it a another try.

I will clone a single drive then erase my Mac OS journaled raid , create a new APFS raid0 array and copy the single drive back to the raid to see if that does the trick, if it fails miserably then I will try installing Mac OS directly to the raid array,
I remember a message about can't install Mac on this drive because is part of apple raid
but I think that message was only when the raid was on Mac OS journaled HFS+

if that is the case about the T2 chip then there is no way to run raid with APFS on a hackintosh because the missing T2 chip
thanks for the info trs96
:thumbup:

Motherboard
Aorus x299 Gaming 7 Pro
CPU
I9-7960X
Graphics
RTX 2080
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
well after a little research is not very clear yet if the "RAID' support in the IMAC PRO is because the T2 chip that is presented in IMAC PRO, as far as I know the Chip has some security features, the raid support might be indeed because of the T2 chip but nothing is really 100% certain, there is a lot of speculation, also is the raid configuration true raid? or were the drivers converted to apple fusion drives to then have or add support for APFS RAID, there are a few interesting things here, as soon as I get a chance I will give it a try. I probably wait for Mojave Public Beta 1 so we can freely discuss the topic, there are a few possibilities to accomplish the task or to get the job done but if none of them work then it has to be because of the T2 chip like trs96 mentioned

Motherboard
Aorus x299 Gaming 7 Pro
CPU
I9-7960X
Graphics
RTX 2080
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
breaking news, bootable RAID with APFS but I can't give details or talk about it until Mojave PB is out, so is confirmed the T2 chip doesn't have nothing to do with the bootable raid on iMac Pro.

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
so is confirmed the T2 chip doesn't have nothing to do with the bootable raid on iMac Pro.
The T2 chip is the iMac Pro NVME SSD raid controller. Your discovery only proves that it can be done without a T2 chip. With a conventional PC raid array. This is good news for those that want APFS and blazing fast boot times from their CustoMac. :)
As you mentioned Mojave beta is still under NDA so wait to report your details on this till the public beta is out shortly. TIA

T2. Enhanced integration and security.
Introducing the Apple T2 chip, our second-generation custom Mac silicon. By redesigning and integrating several controllers found in other Mac systems — like the system management controller, image signal processor, audio controller, and SSD controller. From the iMac Pro page on Apple.com.

Motherboard
ASUS Q87M-E
CPU
i5 4440
Graphics
GTX 950
Mac
MacBook
Classic Mac
Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hello everyone!
Mojave Public beta is online in Italy, what about in your contry?

tonymacx86

Administrator
Staff member
Motherboard
GA-Z270X-UD5
CPU
Core i3-7100
Graphics
HD 630
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Classic Mac