Contribute
Register

apple remote compatibility on pc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ve made some googling and found some links I'll post at my lunch time
so I am interested to do the same :)

I did the MacBook pro IR hack and works great! picked up a MacBook pro IR board from eBay, and ordered a 30 foot USB cable, soldered the USB and ir board together and works beautifully!

using a nice apple aluminum remote to control xbmc is beautiful sitting on the couch!

damsfromfrance, thanks for the links. I was already aware of mira and other stuff. I guess I should be more specific in wondering if it would still make the apple remote compatible with windows. I am mostly going to use the windows side of things, but I will use it on osx as well. I would like to know if there is any software for windows to make the apple remote work with it, mostly for media centers like XBMC?

Just thought I'd give an update here. I bought an apple ir reciever from a 15-inch A1226 MacBook Pro. Part number 820-2155-A. Worked like a charm in my hackintosh. The wiring was simple, just soldered the colored wires to a similar colored USB cable (black, green, white, red). For my personal use, I put this inside of my case, attached to a 4-port USB hub, which was then plugged into a USB to 4 pin USB header for my motherboard. All 4 ports are low-powered devices (2 Bluetooth, 1 RF, 1 IR) which should be Low power enough to not draw more power than the USB hub can provide by itself. :) so far its been working without issue.

anyways back to the ir. it works fine in OSX. Osx mountain lion sees it as a regular USB apple or reciever, and all basic remote functions work. Up & down control volume, holding the play/pause button puts the it to sleep, any button wakes. The remote can be used with iTunes to play music, skip/rewind tracks, etc. one thing to note for anyone interested, is that XBMC has support for the apple remote on osx. It's awesome because you can navigate menus, play/pause music/videos,etc. for me it was enabled by default, but if not you can go into System>system>input devices to enable apple remote functionality in XBMC.

as for windows, its a different story. I was able to get the remote to somewhat work with drivers from boot camp for the ir receiver, but the only thing I've noticed so far is volume control, and iTunes playback functions. If you press menu on the remote, iTunes automatically opens up. Does not work in XBMC on its own though. I will look into this when I have more time, but there is software out there to enable the remote to be customized on windows. I will report back when I find out more. :)

Where did you buy it from? I'm struggling to find anywhere.

edit: I'm in UK

eBay.

Just search eBay for (apple ir) and you should find a decent amount of parted out ir receivers from MacBooks, iMacs, Mac minis, etc. if I were you, I'd go for one with the wiring still attached to it, as some sellers just sell the ir board itself, and it uses pretty small wiring. Also it would be easier to find one with color coded wiring. I noticed a couple were all black, where as the part I bought had black, green, white, & red, and because of that, was easy to wire to a USB plug. :)

oh and also I'm from US. Your mileage may vary.

Just an update, haven't had much time for progress.

for those that don't know, in OSX, with XBMC, if you go into system settings, and input devices, there is an option to change the apple remote to start up XBMC instead of iTunes. This is nice if you prefer to use XBMC as your main media player, for osx. Once the setting is enabled, you just press the menu button to run XBMC :)

as for windows, its a different story. XBMC does not have native apple remote support on windows. However after searching, I found a neat little program called eventghost. It's a little tough to figure out at first, but if your the curious type that likes to play around with programs, eventually you should be able to figure out how to make it work. For the apple remote, with an apple ir reciever in windows, you first have to go to device manager and update the apple remote driver (if you've managed to install boot camp drivers for the apple ir receiver in windows) and change it to generic input device.

then in eventghost, start a new script, then add a plugin. Choose generic hid device, and in the pop up window, find the apple ir reciever (easy if its the only apple branded device in your hackintosh, manufacturer will say apple) then uncheck "trigger as event" and check "raw data" then ok. Then with your apple remote, you should see hid commands in the left pane when you press a button. The rest is up to you to play around with eventghost and figure out there is also another plugin you can add called XBMC2, which allows you to add commands specific to XBMC.

I've gotten busy and preoccupied with other things lately, but if nobody else beats me to it, when I get my apple remote script figured out, I'll post again with the script attached for anyone interested. :)

How were you able to install the driver in windows? I downloaded boot camp and installed the appleremote64 driver, but when I plug in the USB cable, it comes up as an unrecognized device. Plugging it into my MacMini it works, so I know I wired it correctly.

Thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back