Contribute
Register

Apple releases Snow Leopard Graphics Update 1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
Mar 10, 2010
Messages
31
Motherboard
Mountain Lion (OSX 10.8)
CPU
i5 750
Graphics
GTX 460 1gb v2
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
I decided to give the graphics update a shot. Unfortunately, I never ran any type of benchmark test.

When I upgraded to 10.6.4 from 10.6.3, SC2 performance was terrible. After running the graphics update, performance still terrible (don't think anything even changed).

However, when I changed to MacPro3,1 from iMac11,1, performance shot up. The menu screen ran at 60+ FPS (iMac11,1 had ~10 FPS). Strangely enough, I tried changing the system profile from iMac11,1 to iMac11,2, and performance was still very high (like MacPro). Not sure what triggers it to do this though...

Maybe someone who's running into this can do an actual benchmark?
 
Joined
Apr 10, 2010
Messages
76
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro WiFi (F12j)
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Good News: No problems after installation.
Bad News: No improvements either.

Before and after the update, by Open GL performance according to Cinebench 11.529 is ~8 fps using Chameleon's Graphics Enabler and ~21 fps using DSDT w/o Graphics Enabler.
 
Joined
Aug 13, 2010
Messages
37
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
I got my ATI Sapphire 5770 working via installing the ATI Kext via Kext helper (not from latest multibeast and it is working great.

After being a bit bruised from the last reinstall - am wondering the steps to do the apple graphic update.

Is this the sequence:

1. Install Apple Graphics update.
2. Run Multibeast before reboot and install System Utilities to refresh.
3. Reboot with fingers crossed?


Cheers
 
Joined
Jul 25, 2010
Messages
50
Motherboard
ga-p55a-ud3 rev 1
CPU
i5-760
Graphics
evga geforce 9800 gtx+ 512mb
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
fdandy006 said:
Is this the sequence:

1. Install Apple Graphics update.
2. Run Multibeast before reboot and install System Utilities to refresh.
3. Reboot with fingers crossed?

it's impossible to run multibeast before reboot as the update requires rebooting before it even begins to install. i suspect running multibeast isn't even necessary, at least for my system, but i guess you might have different luck. keeping fingers crossed is always a smart plan. :D
 

MacMan

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Feb 2, 2010
Messages
8,055
Motherboard
ASUS TUF Z390-PRO GAMING - 2606 - UEFI
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
newtron said:
fdandy006 said:
Is this the sequence:

1. Install Apple Graphics update.
2. Run Multibeast before reboot and install System Utilities to refresh.
3. Reboot with fingers crossed?

it's impossible to run multibeast before reboot as the update requires rebooting before it even begins to install. i suspect running multibeast isn't even necessary, at least for my system, but i guess you might have different luck. keeping fingers crossed is always a smart plan. :D
If you launch MultiBeast before launching the update, run the update and before you click Restart, let MultiBeast do its thing.
 
Joined
Jul 25, 2010
Messages
50
Motherboard
ga-p55a-ud3 rev 1
CPU
i5-760
Graphics
evga geforce 9800 gtx+ 512mb
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
MacMan said:
If you launch MultiBeast before launching the update, run the update and before you click Restart, let MultiBeast do its thing.

are you sure? i thought that i couldn't run the update before hitting restart. it downloaded and then hitting restart is what allowed the update to run. it logged me out and everything before the update was applied, and then restarted automatically afterwards.

maybe i'm misremembering, but i know that i at least didn't run multibeast before restart and everything was fine.
 
Joined
Aug 13, 2010
Messages
37
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Results - worked fine on my 5770.

As described above I d/l the update (perhaps if you use the update via the os it does auto restart).
Installed Apple graphics update.
Rebuilt permissions and caches via multibeast.
Rebooted.

QE still working.

No major differences in xbench results.


Cheers
 
Joined
Aug 9, 2010
Messages
3
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
fdandy006 said:
Results - worked fine on my 5770.

As described above I d/l the update (perhaps if you use the update via the os it does auto restart).
Installed Apple graphics update.
Rebuilt permissions and caches via multibeast.
Rebooted.

QE still working.

No major differences in xbench results.


Cheers
Hi everyone
I follow the above guide for my 5750 card, it hanged after APPLE white login screen. The picture was distorted. I rebooted using '-s' & after typing 'exit' to continue booting, i saw ATI_init is loading & there goes the hanging screen.

any advise ? How can i restore it back to previous state?

By the way my system:
i760, Sapphire 5750 vapor x, 4 gb ram, GA H55M-UD2H

Update
I used iBoot --> SL installation CD to restore time machine backup (2nd partition). After the restoration, i restarted the PC & it gives me the Boot0: error message.
I tried to use iBoot again to go into the restored location, it gave me the panic. Please help.
 
Joined
Jul 28, 2010
Messages
4
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3 (U1G)
CPU
i7 2600k
Graphics
HD4850 512MB
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
When I installed the Graphics update on my system, the display went haywire. Ultimately, I had to install the QE/CI Update from netkas, even though my ATI 4850 didn't need it. The QE/CI fixed the problem.

Thanks to everyone on this site!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top