Contribute
Register

Apple Releases macOS Sierra 'Golden Master' GM Candidate to Beta Testers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did it work right out of the box without any extra works ( referring to the rx470 specifically)
No, you have to do an easy fix. Go to Sierra desktop support and look up building guides. You have to set IGFX to primary display output and AUTO settings if possible. You also have to change the 67EO1002 ID in Baffin to 67DF1002 which is done outside of folder and then replaced with the changes. It takes about 5 minutes to do for me at this point I've done it 7-8 times.

No, you have to do an easy fix. Go to Sierra desktop support and look up building guides. You have to set IGFX to primary display output and AUTO settings if possible. You also have to change the 67EO1002 ID in Baffin to 67DF1002 which is done outside of folder and then replaced with the changes. It takes about 5 minutes to do for me at this point I've done it 7-8 times.
Wait do you have to do this everything you boot or did you just do it 7-8 times because you've installed the beta that many times??

You
Wait do you have to do this everything you boot or did you just do it 7-8 times because you've installed the beta that many times??
You do it once if it holds after reboot, I've made carbon copy clones of the fix and it worked on the cloned disks. I've repeated the process many times for testing purposes and to get into Gold Medal. I was unsure it could work for others until I repeated it a few times in Beta 7, then I did it again in Gold Medal. The Gigabyte RX 460 card will work right out of the box IF you set the Graphics in bios. I tried XFX RX 460 and Asus strixx 460 models and could not get them to work only the Gigsbyte models 2gb and 4 gb neither required anything other than changing 2 bios settings.

RX 470 and Rx480 cards work with this method by using the Baffin Code change. My XFX RX 480 runs but not very stable, the MSI RX 470 4gb is running where it should be and competes in benchmarks with Windows testing results. This gives me full acceleration wit the 470, the 480 stability improved with the Gold Medal but it's not stable at this point and my RX 460 Gigabyte 4gb kicks it's butt in Uningine.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

That will get the RX 460 Gigabyte model running out of box, but to get the RX 470, 480 going you need to change the Baffin kext using the guide and Phillips Garage video on YouTube.

The best part is it takes out 99.99 % of the HD530 bugs out. When you boot there is no tearing and such and you know you're supported, if you don't already hear the card accelerate as it boots. It's a beautiful sound too! I was so happy to hear the whoosh, and then see the password screen.

Last edited:
This post may solve the issue for you... let me know if it works!
I did that. I just booted back as if I had done nothing at all. Am I better off with a new reinstall by doing things the way you said from the beginning?

I'm curious if you reinstalled the web driver before trying?
No I did not reinstall the web driver. Although I did have problems with the Emuvariableuefi-64.efi. I did not know how to use it so I just dragged and dropped a downloaded file of that into clover's driver64 folder

I performed an update to the GM candidate using the App Store (redeemed the code from the Apple Beta page).

I had some trouble getting the installer to display in Clover, so I updated Clover to the latest version. Once that was fixed, I had some issues getting the installer's GUI/progress bar to load. Fixed by rebooting and applying nv_disable=1 to my boot options in Clover.

Install went off without a hitch from there.

After reboot/install, audio and my Nvidia drivers were non-functional. I installed the AppleHDA1150 driver that I'd used reliably for so long, as well as the latest Nvidia driver for Sierra. Upon reboot, I had no audio, nor any Nvidia drivers.

After searching a long while, here are the solutions that worked for me:

Audio:
Installed VoodooHDA. After installing, I copied /System/Library/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext to my desktop, right-clicked to Show Package Contents, and edited the info.plist file in the Contents folder. I set the iGain value to 0, and the PCM value to 100, then saved and used Kext Wizard to complete the install. Basically, this final step of editing the kext resulted in me NOT having an extremely loud hum coming from my speakers each time I would perform a reboot, necessitating me messing around with the VoodooHDA settings.

Video:
The new Nvidia web driver or Sierra apparently doesn't accept nvda_drv=1 in the boot flags in Clover, so the below steps were necessary (copied from forum user ueer3fc). Areas in bold, below, should be entered into a terminal, such as iTerm2 or the Mac's built-in terminal application:
1. Added nvda_drv=1 to my nvram: sudo nvram nvda_drv=1
2. Exported the nvram to a plist file: nvram -x -p >nvram.plist
3. Moved nvram.plist to the root: sudo mv ./nvram.plist /nvram.plist
4. To be sure, I made it accessible for all (this might be superfluous): sudo chmod 777 /nvram.plist
5. Made nvram.plist hidden for Finder (for aesthetic reasons): chflags hidden /nvram.plist
6. Enabled EmuVariableUefi-64.efi using Clover Configurator
7. Rebooted

Everything on my system is 100% functional now - it was nearly unusable without the Nvidia drivers being loaded. I did something stupid to corrupt my ~/Library/Preferences folder (one of the 308 items in there), but aside from that, the system didn't do anything weird after the upgrade.

I'm extremely happy and grateful for this forum and its members for sharing their knowledge. I hope this post is able to help someone else who is running into the same problems that I ran into through this upgrade process. I did not install any of the betas on my hackintosh before installing the GM.
if adding emu to drive64uefi..no need to enter commands

No I did not reinstall the web driver. Although I did have problems with the Emuvariableuefi-64.efi. I did not know how to use it so I just dragged and dropped a downloaded file of that into clover's driver64 folder
Try to reinstall the web driver first, then repeat these steps in Terminal:
sudo nvram nvda_drv=1
nvram -x -p >nvram.plist
sudo mv ./nvram.plist /nvram.plist
sudo chmod 777 /nvram.plist
chflags hidden /nvram.plist

You can copy/paste each line, one at a time. The first time you put in the "sudo" command, you'll be prompted for your password. Just type it in as normal - you won't see anything moving in the terminal as you do this. Press enter and proceed to the next step.

Here's how to use Clover Configurator:
sudo mkdir /Volumes/EFI
diskutil list

Locate the EFI partition. It will say EFI EFI. Look in the IDENTIFIER column and enter the below command based on the value in that column:
sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI

Next, launch Clover Configurator and do these steps:

Grey boxes are "enabled"/installed.

I hope this works for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back