Contribute
Register

Apple Releases macOS High Sierra 'Golden Master' GM Candidate to Beta Testers

Status
Not open for further replies.
any news about the APFS ? can we upgrade on Hackintoshes too ? from the appstore of course
From the begin, I have always done all 10.13 updates by the Appstore in my hack, with a APFS partition :)

Attachments

• Captura de ecrã 2017-09-15, às 16.55.11.png
    Captura de ecrã 2017-09-15, às 16.55.11.png
    91.6 KB · Views: 666
installing HS GM on the X58A worked just like "real" Mac Pro - install said 45 minutes, but 2 minutes into it, it reboots to installer again and this time takes 44 minutes to complete install. Depending on your system definition it may reboot more than once.
First to be installed is the Mac/iMac/MB/MBP/MBA firmware update to handle APFS. Second part of the install is the actual HS installation. The good news for Hacks is, if the installer can't "see" the Mac firmware to update, it skips the firmware update. Or, at least, that's how I read it based upon my experience with Mac Pros.

Updating to GM via App Store worked really well for me. Only problem I had was Clover not picking up the Install Partition (actually i think that is normal) and the need to use the beta boot arg for AppleALC and NvidiaGraphicsFixup

First to be installed is the Mac/iMac/MB/MBP/MBA firmware update to handle APFS. Second part of the install is the actual HS installation. The good news for Hacks is, if the installer can't "see" the Mac firmware to update, it skips the firmware update. Or, at least, that's how I read it based upon my experience with Mac Pros.
Rebooting to install firmware update on non-existent firmware is an exercise in futility. What I had to do was to change my Mac Pro 5,1 system definition to Mac Pro 6,1 to get past the insistence on doing the firmware update.
Once it had completed the install I was able to put the original config.plist for Mac Pro 5,1 back in the EFI/Clover folder and reboot. There was no option to change the HFS+ to APFS, probably because it is installed on a spinning platter HDD rather than a SSD.

Disk Utility looks better in 10.13 than 10.12
I agree, it works, much better indeed. Upgraded to High Sierra GM 17A362a on APFS - no problems - It is working in all respects except video because Nvidia has as yet not released new drivers for High Sierra. I am using the Sierra 10.12.6 Nvidia drivers, "hacked" to work with High Sierra. Not optimal, but better than nothing.

Greets

Attachments

• 17A262a.jpeg
    17A262a.jpeg
    58.9 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
GA-Z170X-UD5
try to install beta GM
error in second boot: An error occurred while verifying firmware

any idea?

Regards
I changed the system definition to get past the firmware check.

GA-Z170X-UD5
try to install beta GM
error in second boot: An error occurred while verifying firmware

any idea?

Regards
Suggestions include temporarily disconnecting any Windows-formatted disks, and setting your firmware revision via Clover Configurator and config.plist to a newer firmware version so the firmware check sees "up to date firmware" and skips this piece.

I had this issue, disconnected my Windows drive, and got past it.

However now I am stuck at the invalid OSInstall.mpkg error, which I thought was fixed by not having EmuVariables64_uefi.kext in your booted clover drivers64UEFI folder (and was able to get other App Store updates installed this way) but verified I'm booting a Clover (latest, 4200) without it and still getting this error.

I should note that I'm booting a newly built USB stick with the latest full Beta installer written to it, and Clover 4200 in the EFI. My understanding is that the App Store will not have "updates" for GM candidates as it did for the developer and public betas. My understanding is that folks that are saying they're updating from the App Store are downloading the full installer (beta page -> download button, downloads to Applications) and running it from there. However, if I do that, it writes something briefly and almost instantaneously reboots and the update doesn't work. I had that issue with earlier public betas.

edit: got it sorted. Tried the full installer from App Store again and while it does very quickly reboot it did work. Had to reboot several times before installation finished. Throughout this process, I disconnected my Windows disk and booted a clover without EmuVariables64_uefi.kext. Reapplied Pascal fix using 10.12.6 policy file. Reapplied Toleda sound patch. Everything working as before on latest GM candidate. Can also confirm Plextor M8PeG NVME disk now seen by High Sierra with just the IOVNMeFamily 0x10->0x01 bin patch applied.

Last edited:
There was no option to change the HFS+ to APFS, probably because it is installed on a spinning platter HDD rather than a SSD.

There is a reverse problem. You also don't have the option to opt out of APFS when the High Sierra GM is installed on an SSD. I innocently thought that since the SSD was already running High Sierra using HFS+ I wouldn't have to confront this issue. But nooooooo! I finished the installation, rebooted, and Clover couldn't see High Sierra because the drive was now APFS. My solution was to install the HS GM on my backup HDD, partition the SSD back to HFS+, and clone from the HDD to SSD using Carbon Copy Cloner. The upshot is that a step-by-step process will be needed for many users (like me) on how to install using the App Store so that the APFS.efi is in the right place prior to installing so that Clover can see the APFS drive after installation. I see a lot of instructions on how to do this but none are simple and clear.

That said, HS GM is running just fine on my simple EconoMac II (now) and everything works. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back