Contribute
Register

Apple Releases App to Build USB Recovery/Install Media

Status
Not open for further replies.
finntriel said:
I'm create Recovery HD using only terminal and DiskUtility.
Now When I boot during Chameleon progress (bar 1sec) press enter and
choose Recovery HD. From It I can fresh Install or recovery=)
in Finder Recovery HD don't visible

Do you mean-
On your hackintosh you can create a very small Recovery Partition like the true mac one?
Or are you creating a regular clone of your working system on another partition?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I guess thats all good then!

Not tried from Chameleon yet, just got some work to get done after searching for this all evening :thumb up:

EDIT: I just downloaded Lion Recovery Update from Apple and it ran / completed successfully too...

I'm confused. I thought that the Apple Lion Recovery was a hidden partition created on real macs when Lion is installed. I thought Apple Recovery and Apple Recovery Assistant were macs only.

D-an-W said:
I stumbled across a YouTube Video posted by a German chappie on Insanelymac that simply showed you how to enable the Recovery Partition step by step without even a reboot.

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op7euNQmxgg[/VIDEO]

It worked first time for me, I can now use "Find My Mac" within iCloud AND Lion Recovery Disc Assistant to create a USB Stick :headband:

(Mods, please feel free to edit / delete this post if it breaks any rules, I used all 100% legit software to carry out the process.)

Thanks for this very useful post.

This too worked for me although I was unable to locate the original on Insanelymac as I was hoping that he posted the info.rtf file as the terminal entries where hard to read here from the video, but it worked in the end although my Recovery HD partition had to be slightly larger to accept the directory created. But FindMyMac etc all works well, as does the Apple recovery utility.

It is also of interest that I am now using an ASUS Sabertooth X58 MB with two WD Black 1.5TB disks connected to the SATA3 ports and these are configured in BIOS as a striped raid, and Lion sees this as a real 3TB disk and there are NO limitations that we normally associate with LION and Raid. So I am grateful for that which the Gigabyte X58a-ud3r would not do, and grateful for your post as I was sure it was possible to be able to create the recovery partition and that German guy deserves recognition and thanks for his his hard work. It works well here. Thanks again, I have been trying to sort this for a while.

Attachments

• Diskutil.jpg
    Diskutil.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 554
@tonyd, glad it helped. I wasn't sure if I could link to Insanelymac but yes he did post the text file used in the video (Attached below). How's your knowledge of Location Services?

http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=35248

@vienna01, yes it is a hidden recovery partition that matches the one on genuine Mac's. It allows "Find My Mac" to be enabled, can be updated with the Lion Recovery Update and you can also use Lion Recovery Disk Assistant to create a USB stick from it.

Code:
sudo -i

diskutil list

diskutil info /dev/diskXsX

XXXXXXXXX-700*1024*1024=

diskutil resizeVolume /dev/diskXsX XXXXXXXXXB jhfs+ "Recovery HD" 650002432B

diskutil resizeVolume diskXsX 650002432B

mkdir /Volumes/Recovery\ HD/com.apple.recovery.boot

hdiutil attach /Applications/Mac\ OS\ X\ Lion\ Installation.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg

cp /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg /Volumes/Recovery\ HD/com.apple.recovery.boot/

cp /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/.disk_label /Volumes/Recovery\ HD/com.apple.recovery.boot/

cp /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/boot.efi /Volumes/Recovery\ HD/com.apple.recovery.boot/

cp /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/kernelcache /Volumes/Recovery\ HD/com.apple.recovery.boot/

cp /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist /Volumes/Recovery\ HD/com.apple.recovery.boot/

cp /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist /Volumes/Recovery\ HD/com.apple.recovery.boot/

cp /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist /Volumes/Recovery\ HD/com.apple.recovery.boot/

umount -f /Volumes/Recovery\ HD/

asr adjust --target /dev/diskXsX -settype "Apple_Boot"

D-an-W said:
@tonyd, glad it helped. I wasn't sure if I could link to Insanelymac but yes he did post the text file used in the video (Attached below). How's your knowledge of Location Services?

http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=35248

@vienna01, yes it is a hidden recovery partition that matches the one on genuine Mac's. It allows "Find My Mac" to be enabled, can be updated with the Lion Recovery Update and you can also use Lion Recovery Disk Assistant to create a USB stick from it.

Code:
sudo -i

diskutil list

diskutil info /dev/diskXsX

XXXXXXXXX-700*1024*1024=

diskutil resizeVolume /dev/diskXsX XXXXXXXXXB jhfs+ "Recovery HD" 650002432B

diskutil resizeVolume diskXsX 650002432B

mkdir /Volumes/Recovery\ HD/com.apple.recovery.boot

hdiutil attach /Applications/Mac\ OS\ X\ Lion\ Installation.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg

cp /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg /Volumes/Recovery\ HD/com.apple.recovery.boot/

cp /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/.disk_label /Volumes/Recovery\ HD/com.apple.recovery.boot/

cp /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/boot.efi /Volumes/Recovery\ HD/com.apple.recovery.boot/

cp /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/kernelcache /Volumes/Recovery\ HD/com.apple.recovery.boot/

cp /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist /Volumes/Recovery\ HD/com.apple.recovery.boot/

cp /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist /Volumes/Recovery\ HD/com.apple.recovery.boot/

cp /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist /Volumes/Recovery\ HD/com.apple.recovery.boot/

umount -f /Volumes/Recovery\ HD/

asr adjust --target /dev/diskXsX -settype "Apple_Boot"

Hi agin D an W - thanks again this time for the info.rtf, LocationServices, that is ticked and active - Just like a real mac...

Does anyone know if it's possible to create a Recovery USB from a real mac and use it on a hackintosh?

SteinVS said:
Does anyone know if it's possible to create a Recovery USB from a real mac and use it on a hackintosh?

Why not use the method posted on YouTube above and create your own?

I have yet to be able to do anything with them but have created them :banghead:

D-an-W said:
SteinVS said:

Why not use the method posted on YouTube above and create your own?

I have yet to be able to do anything with them but have created them :banghead:

I suppose because it would be much easier to simply let my macbook create the USB drive rather than going through more laborious steps.

Edit: just performed the install based on D-an-W's post. I worked perfectly. I haven't booted to the recovery partition yet, but "find my mac","Enable Location Services", and the apple Recovery USB app works perfect!

This may sound like a terribly simple question, has anyone booted to the recovery partition? I can't seem to be able to. I have booted with the iboot cd and am not given the option to boot to the recovery partition (neither the built in partition or with the generated USB drive). I have tried holding the option button at boot, and command-R at boot... nothing yet. Surely I'm over looking something simple. Any suggestions welcomed.

cheers

I am not at all sure about this but I don't think Chameleon (Or Chimera) has the ability (Or requirement) to do so.

I originally set out trying to create the hidden partition to allow Find My Mac to be enabled and I have also on order the parts to make an Apple WiFi card (As I see you also use).

You can also download the Recovery Partition Updater from Apple and run it to bring your newly created partition bang up to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back