Contribute
Register

Apple-recommended AMD Graphics Cards for eGPU Use - macOS High Sierra 10.13.4+

Does it matter if you get the 4GB AMD sapphire pulse RX 580 vs the 8GB version? Both are on the list of approved cards, I just wondered if getting the 4GB has a downside or performance hit.

The 4gb will have about a 5-7% drop in performance vs the 8gb model (benchmarks). It will matter more in video rendering, graphics intensive apps etc...

For browsing and normal usage you won’t notice any difference.

The 4gb will have about a 5-7% drop in performance vs the 8gb model (benchmarks). It will matter more in video rendering, graphics intensive apps etc...

For browsing and normal usage you won’t notice any difference.

Thanks for your reply, I found the 8GB RX 580 for $200 on Ebay. It will be nice to have a card that works OOB. I will update this post with performance stats after I get the card up and running.

Thanks for your reply, I found the 8GB RX 580 for $200 on Ebay. It will be nice to have a card that works OOB. I will update this post with performance stats after I get the card up and running.
You can get one on Newegg right now that is new for $239.99. With a full warranty. Why take a chance with one used on Ebay ?
The risk is that you get one used 24/7 in a bit coin mining rig. So at least make sure the seller offers returns if no warranty.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202278

Last edited by a moderator:
It shows $269 for me. Thanks for the tip though.

I'm grateful for all the thoughtful suggestions and people posting both bitter experience and successes. Today i picked up a sapphire pulse rx 580 (11265-05-20G) for $370 Canadian Pesos.

It was such a relief when i took the dust-caked 7850 out, put the new card in, and everything seems to be working in 10.13.6 right now, running on my ancient z68x-ud3h-b3. Time to update my profile and thank you community!

Last edited:
Last edited:
price dropped again today.

I can confirmed this card works OOB without any clover injection "ATI = NO "
and any kext or whatever. no RadeonDeInit required!

This is a Dual Bios Graphic card which you can switch between Gaming Mode or Compute Mode.

Beware for multiple monitors you will most likely need Lilu + WhateverGreen in your Kext/Other folder....single monitor, you don't need anything.

I just got a Razor Core X and i think some would be interested in some benchmarks.

I was running a 'Stork's MyHero II: Hero X' build and now i got a Razor Core X so i just had to compare the Hackintosh Vega 56 with the MacBook Pro 15" 2017 i7 with Razor Core X.

Graphics card is a Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 56 Nitro+ 8GB

Vendor: AMD (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x687f
Revision ID: 0x00c3

Geekbench Compute MyHero II: 171115
Geekbench Compute Razer Core X: 151342

Bruce X - MyHero II: 14 sec
Bruce X - Razer Core X: 20 sec

Beware for multiple monitors you will most likely need Lilu + WhateverGreen in your Kext/Other folder....single monitor, you don't need anything.
price dropped again today.

I can confirmed this card works OOB without any clover injection "ATI = NO "
and any kext or whatever. no RadeonDeInit required!

This is a Dual Bios Graphic card which you can switch between Gaming Mode or Compute Mode.

I'm building new system right now with this card. My primary use is for video editing with Adobe Premiere Pro.
Is it "safe" for me to switch out of the default Gaming Mode to choose Compute Mode?
I will NEVER use this machine for gaming, so Compute Mode seems more logical to me.

Back