Contribute
Register

Apple-recommended AMD Graphics Cards for eGPU Use - macOS High Sierra 10.13.4+

I'm having trouble getting the WX 7100 to show a screen resolution other than 800x600 and when i use kextstat -1 in terminal it shows that only the AMD Support Kext is loaded. and ideas?

Which OS/OSX are you in, what is the device ID?

I'm using 10.13.4, latest os update. Device ID is 0x67c4. It turns out that i didn't Enable Windows 8.1/10 WHQL Support (meaning csm was enabled). now the screen loads as 1024x768. it's a 4k monitor so i'd ideally like to be able to increase the screen resolution

Wat is the best GPU Card too use with High Sierra and is cheap? AMD or Nvidia?

Support PCI Express X16 Gen. 3.0
Intel® Z77 Express Chipset

My System
It depends on what usage you plan for the GPU and what apps you wish to use.

normal use for only internet ,mail making music and need 2 screens hdm & dvi
but I think I also what too use premiere Adobe too edit HD ,4K video (from iPhone 6s)

I don't need 4k Screens I use 2 HD screens
Look for the GT 740/750 which are Metal compatible and, thus, 10.14.0 compatible. Also look at the GTX 1030 or a AMD R9 460/560 (but, they're more expensive).

but I think I also what too use premiere Adobe too edit HD ,4K video (from iPhone 6s)
if you use Adobe, then you are better off using an Nvidia card as Adobe s/w is better optimised for nvidia.
Which card you choose depends on your budget.

Look for the GT 740/750 which are Metal compatible and, thus, 10.14.0 compatible. Also look at the GTX 1030 or a AMD R9 460/560 (but, they're more expensive).

Thanks! so this one is ok? Asus GTX750TI works OTB with 10.13 and 10.14 ?

Thanks! so this one is ok? Asus GTX750TI works OTB with 10.13 and 10.14 ?
IIRC, there was a problem with the ASUS GTX 750 Ti working with macOS. (There's an older thread here in Graphics on the ASUS.) I'd look for a used Gigabyte, EVGA or MSI graphics card. (I have a Gigabyte GTX 750 Ti in my Hector System.) However, with the 750 Ti, you'll need the appropriate Nvidia drivers which is kinda a pain as you have to wait 24-72 hours for Nvidia to release updated drivers after Apple updates macOS.

Back