Contribute
Register

Apple-recommended AMD Graphics Cards for eGPU Use - macOS High Sierra 10.13.4+

The good reasons for Apple to chose AMD GPUs are a lot, not being cheaper because Apple ain't cheap and they actually go only for premium products, but the most important besides gaming AMD GPUs are pure OpenCL powerful cards which is good for professional work which is what Apple needs, Nvidia for years has separated their professional cards from gaming cards, because Nvidia has Quadro GPUs for professional work where the GTX are only for gaming, thats Nvidia's strategy not Apple's.

AMD gives the whole package in their consumer GPUs as their professional cards, Apple is a wise company and their professional software takes huge advantage from OpenCL (compute power) that is in AMD cards for that professional work Apple needs.

Even in Windows side software like the Adobe 2018, Sony Vegas and DaVinci Resolve are taking that advantage from AMD GPUs compute power for professional rendering, not only Apple.

Apple ain't cheap, but they love max profit more. Just look at how they manipulate the supply chain of their various products, they want premium-ish parts at the most importantly the lowest price. They choose AMD because they aren't pushing their own API that compete with OpenCL, and probably other financial incentives. If Nvidia were to provide parts at cheaper price and abandon CUDA at the same time, Apple might just switch at a heartbeat.

Apple created OpenCL, so obviously they (along with AMD) would declare that as the best thing since sliced bread and only support that in Final Cut. On the other hand there are plenty of established apps/APIs utilizing CUDA better than OpenCL, and GPGPU libraries that simply don't even care and just support both. "Pure OpenCL powerful cards which is good for professional work" is too much of a blanket statement without context (but of course that's exactly what Apple/AMD want you to believe).

This whole thing mirrors the OpenGL vs DirectX war back in the day, with no clear answer if one was truly better than the other. It simply comes down to what apps you use.

Also there's AMD Raedon Pro with is just like the Quadro line, so I'm not really following that "AMD gives the whole package in their consumer GPUs as their professional cards" logic.

Last edited:
Apple ain't cheap, but they love max profit more. Just look at how they manipulate the supply chain of their various products, they want premium-ish parts at the most importantly the lowest price. They choose AMD because they aren't pushing their own API that compete with OpenCL, and probably other financial incentives. If Nvidia were to provide parts at cheaper price and abandon CUDA at the same time, Apple might just switch at a heartbeat.

Apple created OpenCL, so obviously they (along with AMD) would declare that as the best thing since sliced bread and only support that in Final Cut. On the other hand there are plenty of established apps/APIs utilizing CUDA better than OpenCL, and GPGPU libraries that simply don't even care and just support both. "Pure OpenCL powerful cards which is good for professional work" is too much of a blanket statement without context (but of course that's exactly what Apple/AMD want you to believe).

This whole thing mirrors the OpenGL vs DirectX war back in the day, with no clear answer if one was truly better than the other. It simply comes down to what apps you use.

Also there's AMD Raedon Pro with is just like the Quadro line, so I'm not really following that "AMD gives the whole package in their consumer GPUs as their professional cards" logic.
''It simply comes down to what apps you use'', ''Apple created OpenCL, so obviously they (along with AMD)''. Thank you Sir, you just clearly answered yourself why supported AMD GPU is better than Nvidia for Apple Mac OS.

''only support that in Final Cut'' You are very wrong, because Apple supports GPU acceleration for the whole system and for the main Apple based applications like Final Cut Pro, Motion, Compressor, iMovie, heavy video playback and even for iBooks, Safari web browser and other. So I hope you learned something new now.

Plus, as I said earlier the new Adobe 2018 supports OpenCL as well as DaVinci Resolve. So, as I use all those Apps now I should be more than happy to use only AMD GPU on my Hackintosh as you said ''It simply comes down to what apps you use.'', right?
And for the record, if you don't use those Apps then why you need a Hackintosh or any Apple based system anyway?

''On the other hand there are plenty of established apps/APIs utilizing CUDA better than OpenCL'', give me names of Apps in Apple Mac OS which utilize CUDA better than OpenCL? Even Adobe CUDA support is not for all Nvidia cards and you should know it. Anyway, name the apps/APIs in Mac OS please, Im not here to bla bla with anyone so if you have names then list them.

There is literally nothing Apple/AMD can make me believe, when I daily use my system and see its behavior on AMD or Nvidia GPU, a huge different anyone can notice. I don't blame you for anything because you never experienced the differences when your GPU is officially supported from Apple, or its from a 3rd party support like Nvidia buggy Webdriver.
Did you see how your Nvidia without 3rd party webdriver is? that is the truth about Nvidia Maxwell/Pascal GPUs in Mac OS, so how CUDA is better than an Apple officially supported OpenCL GPU? what word ''better'' means to you?

I mentioned already the AMD Pro line and for sure they give the whole package in their consumer cards, its totally different from what Nvidia Quadro and GTX series are. Internet can help you on that so you can search for those facts by yourself.

Last edited:
''It simply comes down to what apps you use'', ''Apple created OpenCL, so obviously they (along with AMD)''. Thank you Sir, you just clearly answered yourself why supported AMD GPU is better than Nvidia for Apple Mac OS.

''only support that in Final Cut'' You are very wrong, because Apple supports GPU acceleration for the whole system and for the main Apple based applications like Final Cut Pro, Motion, Compressor, iMovie, heavy video playback and even for iBooks, Safari web browser and other. So I hope you learned something new now.

Plus, as I said earlier the new Adobe 2018 supports OpenCL as well as DaVinci Resolve. So, as I use all those Apps now I should be more than happy to use only AMD GPU on my Hackintosh as you said ''It simply comes down to what apps you use.'', right?
And for the record, if you don't use those Apps then why you need a Hackintosh or any Apple based system anyway?

''On the other hand there are plenty of established apps/APIs utilizing CUDA better than OpenCL'', give me names of Apps in Apple Mac OS which utilize CUDA better than OpenCL? Even Adobe CUDA support is not for all Nvidia cards and you should know it. Anyway, name the apps/APIs in Mac OS please, Im not here to bla bla with anyone so if you have names then list them.

There is literally nothing Apple/AMD can make me believe, when I daily use my system and see its behavior on AMD or Nvidia GPU, a huge different anyone can notice. I don't blame you for anything because you never experienced the differences when your GPU is officially supported from Apple, or its from a 3rd party support like Nvidia buggy Webdriver.
Did you see how your Nvidia without 3rd party webdriver is? that is the truth about Nvidia Maxwell/Pascal GPUs in Mac OS, so how CUDA is better than an Apple officially supported OpenCL GPU? what word ''better'' means to you?

I mentioned already the AMD Pro line and for sure they give the whole package in their consumer cards, its totally different from what Nvidia Quadro and GTX series are. Internet can help you on that so you can search for those facts by yourself.

I'm talking about which API Final Cut itself supports/utilizes, not the OS/etc.

Adobe stuff is still more optimized on CUDA than OpenCL from all I read. Show me benchmarks to prove me wrong.

I have no problem supporting either one, and I have a RX560 (hopefully) coming in because of the Webdriver chaos. I go for whichever one that gives me that least trouble.

Last edited:
I'm talking about which API Final Cut itself supports/utilizes, not the OS/etc.

Adobe stuff is still more optimized on CUDA than OpenCL from all I read. Show me benchmarks to prove me wrong.

I have no problem supporting either one, and I have a RX560 (hopefully) coming in because of the Webdriver chaos. I go for whichever one that gives me that least trouble.
You never proved anything you said yet you want me to show you benchmarks? why?
You are still wrong about Adobe is more optimized on CUDA than OpenCL. Either way, I'm on Tonymacx86, and I like to talk Hackintosh and Apple Mac OS, not Adobe. But even tho there is a video on YouTube made by Linus showing AMD cards take slightly more advantage for Adobe Premiere than Nvidia ones when exporting H264 video which is the most popular video format and I use it a lot. So maybe that's the benchmarks you want? I don't know.

You never proved anything you said yet you want me to show you benchmarks? why?
You are still wrong about Adobe is more optimized on CUDA than OpenCL. Either way, I'm on Tonymacx86, and I like to talk Hackintosh and Apple Mac OS, not Adobe. But even tho there is a video on YouTube made by Linus showing AMD cards take slightly more advantage for Adobe Premiere than Nvidia ones when exporting H264 video which is the most popular video format and I use it a lot. So maybe that's the benchmarks you want? I don't know.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Premiere-Pro-CC-2018-Workstation-GPU-Performance-1116/

Wut? Quadro vs AMD Radeon Pro vs NVIDIA Titan V? sorry I'm not into this because I cannot afford any of them so ill stick more to the reality which is consumer cards, which is in this link for that CUDA Adobe hyping.

Please, please, please understand this: I'm saying it to the last time, my main subject is Hackintosh running Apple operation system with Apple apps by either supported AMD GPU or not supported Nvidia GPU. You wanted to give me wrong information about that.
You cannot make me forget I'm on a most popular Hackintosh website, so keep that in mind.

If you read the latest news on the Mac Pro 2019 you will see that Apple's working on "Work flow" and most likely will support nVidia OR somehow force/help people like Adobe get better performance from AMD cards (because its bad compared to CUDA).

I don't see I was rude in my debate, only that there is too much misleading information on internet which should be corrected because people are being victims like I was sometimes, so I want to share my experience and information which might benefit people to avoid wasting their time and even money till they find out which hardware are the best for them.

As I'm on a Hackintosh website I try to debate only Hackintosh, Apple Mac OS and most Hackintosh friendly hardware, to help people and get help from them.

As for now Apple choose their hardware I must follow Apple to choose my hardware for my Hackintosh, if Apple changes direction then I change, too, for me its as simple as that :)

Back